New Manito mule on old gon bops quinto

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

New Manito mule on old gon bops quinto

Postby burke » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:12 am

Hi all,

Just a couple of pictures of the mule skin from Manito I put on this evening.

Cheers

BTW: for Beatlefreek ... I also took the opportunity to put a little wood glue in some thin cracks like the ones you have on yours ... easy to do and can't hurt even if you want a more elaborate repair at a later date.

Cheers
Attachments
150111_001.jpg
150111_002.jpg
Burke
burke

Re: New Manito mule on old gon bops quinto

Postby Marcus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:18 pm

How thick is that hide, man that look like about 2.5mm dry and wet it is really swelled up. Must have had a struggle to mount that one.

..marcus
Marcus

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:45 pm

That is what I thought as well, a pretty thick skin, and it´s mule,
so I hope the shell can take that.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby burke » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:41 pm

It didn't look that thick dry, but it surely did swell.

It actually went on pretty easy, but then I got impatient and cranked it up too much while it was still pretty wet and a part of the skin slipped off the flesh hoop ...so its off again and currently soaking.

I'm gonna try and flatten it and then sand it down after it dries. It was 1.7mm which might be too much for mule.

Honestly I expect that will be a big fail, but it wasn't cheap so what the heck. Likely will end up getting another thinner.
Burke
burke

Postby jorge » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Careful, old Gon bops drums are made of fairly soft mahogany wood and the hardware is not that strong. I had a real old (1972) gon bops quinto and the person who has it now put a super thick cowhide on it. The hardware bent and it feels like the shell would crack if it were tuned up to quinto pitch. He uses it for a small tumbador and it sounds really dull. Maybe in another 40 years the skin will break in.

2 things you can do are: 1) mount it a bit high, let it dry and sand it or, better, scrape, it thinner when it is dry, scraping only the bottom flat area of the entire skin out to the inside of where the bearing edge starts, not touching from the inside of the bearing edge circle outward. You can use a pocket knife to scrape the dry skin thinner. It takes some elbow grease and do it where the dust you generate won't be a problem. Don't breathe the muleskin dust, it can cause serious allergies. Keep examining the skin to see how thin it is getting, although I have never managed to scrape a skin too thin. Or 2) when the skin is wet, mount it very high and gently and very carefully crank it down while wet until the skin turns opaque. You will know you went too far if the skin rips. Seriously, this is tricky and I would only recommend it if you have done it before and can't make any other use of the super thick skin. The scraping method is much safer and leaves the most stressed side areas of the skin thicker, a good thing. Also, use some grease or wax lube on the bearing edge to minimize resistance and force on the tuning lugs. Mounting higher than usual is also a good way to minimize force on the hardware and shell. If you get it right and the shell and hardware hold, the skin will last forever (almost), as long as you don't abuse it.
jorge

Postby burke » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks Jorge,

Right now its sitting under a big heavy plant pot getting re-flattened. I was going to let it dry and sand from the underside. Don't have the confidence to use a blade. I figured sanding the smoother side would make it rough, but you have the experience so if sanding the underside doesn't work, I'll follow your method and do some sanding from the top if I need to.

Two questions. Do you have any advise about how course a sandpaper to use .. or combination of papers?

Also does mule swell more that cow or steer in your experience? And if it does will it get thinner when it dries. I've worked with other skins and don't remember them puffing up so much. On the other hand, because I heard how hard mule was to work I left it in the tub longer than I normally would.

Since I cut it its going be a lot harder to get on the second time around ... I'll go to the hardware store and MacGyver some hooks and bolts to get a bit of extra reach.

Wish me luck. It wasn't cheap by the time it got to Canada from the states and our dollar continues to slide along with oil so its going to be even more.

I wrote to Issac, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't deal with mule anymore.

D
Burke
burke

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:25 am

Why not try the string method to remount the skin?
See here:
http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewt ... =14&t=3292

Perhaps that could be a possible way to save the mule skin.

Making it thinner by sanding might be useful too.

BTW some older Gon Bops skins were really thick (those were cow skins though).
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby burke » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks Mike,

I actually do use a variation of the string method already even for less desperate situations. The forum is wonderful for all the tips and tricks it has offered over the years.

My variation is to use sewing thread and just keep circling and wrapping around the skin and flesh hoop till it looks almost like a spider web. Then once you have the skin on its easy just to tear the thread away.

BTW - I kind of answered my own question from yesterday. After being on the fern press over night the skin has gotten much thinner [see pictures], but I'm still gonna sand it anyway.

Also my kitchen now smells like wet mule!

Good thing my wife is away on a trip ... think I'll pick up some febreze when I'm out this afternoon ... I don't think its possible to go 'noesblind' to wet mule. :)
Attachments
150113_001.jpg
150113_002.jpg
Burke
burke

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Mmmh, wet mule - yummy :P
Now you are ready to go again.
The skin still looks thick though.
Good luck anyway and keep us posted.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Marcus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Hey Burke,

It always looks easier when forum members post their successes and not mention the times things did not work out well. I pulled out a skin but caught it before it became a disaster. At some point in time you might want to call Manito and make sure you have the proper skin and flesh ring for your Quinto.

Reheading is not easy, seems like it would be but there are lots of things to consider. Read every thread on this forum and look at every video explaining how to. Some will be better than others.

But the experience is worth the time and money, even if you have to get a new skin.

peace, marcus
Marcus

Postby burke » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Marcus wrote:It always looks easier when forum members post their successes and not mention the times things did not work out well. I pulled out a skin but caught it before it became a disaster. At some point in time you might want to call Manito and make sure you have the proper skin and flesh ring for your Quinto.

Hey Marcus - You are right on - I figured posting a fail might be as informative as posting a triumph ... especially given this was my first mule. I've actually done 5 or 6 reskinnings and learned something each time ... this is # 3 for this quinto. The first was what it came with which was ok but maybe a bit thin, the second was from L & H which was too thick [starting to sound like Goldilocks here] and this was my attempt to get it jussssst right. Manito sent me exactly what I asked for, but I think the mule factor means its still too thick ... not worried about the hoop ... its the one the quinto came with and worked/fit every time.

Like I mentioned before, I think its going to be tough to put this cut down one back on and I likely will end up going for new skin ... I know Manito is one of the best and have no issues going there again, but [other than Issac] anyone have a clue where I might find mule in Canada? Between our sliding $ and the shipping it likely would be cheaper if I could stay up north.
Burke
burke

Postby Marcus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Hey Burke,

old sckool of experience, eh!

I love to rehead congas, the prep, the soaking, waiting for that skin to arrive in the mail, setting the day aside and then waiting for the skin to dry and then the gradual tune up.

Only problem is that I have a limited time to play and reheading takes me away from play time. People ask me what I am going to do when I retire which is a ways off----I just smile.

..marcus
Marcus

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:35 pm

burke wrote:
Marcus wrote:It always looks easier when forum members post their successes and not mention the times things did not work out well. I pulled out a skin but caught it before it became a disaster. At some point in time you might want to call Manito and make sure you have the proper skin and flesh ring for your Quinto.

Hey Marcus - You are right on - I figured posting a fail might be as informative as posting a triumph ... especially given this was my first mule.

Oh, I can remember my yelling and cursing very well when I f#*%ed up my first skins,
especially my first expensive mule skin from Isaac... :lol: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3114&hilit=+Isaac+mule

Anyway, it is very good to post flaws or negative experiences here, as others can learn from these.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby burke » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:59 pm

I remember that post! Nice to reread it though ... especially the happy ending ... that ole mule and its epoxy repair still singing for you?
Burke
burke

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:08 am

No, I sold it a while ago. To be honest, I wish I could have kept the skin...
But the sound of the Giovanni quinto was just not what I was after.
With Gon Bops and especially Delaporte (thick mule!) I have become much happier.
Peace & drum
Mike

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories