Production Congas Premium Skins

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Production Congas Premium Skins

Postby Marcus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:30 pm

Finally finished my efforts to rehead my modern Gonbops Marianos with premium skins. These congas were of an earlier production run and came with heads that looked old crusty and dry, seemingly lifeless and over processed. They would not absorb any treatment but I did get them on sale-end of the year from Amazon nearly 45% off price with free shipping so I knew I could spend some $$ on head replacement.

Without a mentor for head replacement advice I made mistakes—too thick then I when thinner and the flesh rings I had made were not right and the head upon drying was off center, then I finally asked Manito what I was doing wrong. He set me up with the correct flesh ring diameter and a few more skins. Spent a bunch on skins but I learned. You know that hardware really stood up to all the abuse I gave it. Some lugs could be a bit smoother but considering all I put that hardware through, it has performed wonderfully-no deformation!

I used some techniques from Congalou. Got 5 eye bolts and bent with a torch and cut to mimic long lugs-lot easier to crank a head down then use the stock lugs. I epoxied some of those permanent magnets to an inside lug plate and got some fiberglass rods and glued the other permanent magnet so both will seat tight without any wobbling. If I ever needed to place a baffle to reduce ring and overtones it is all set up. Thanks Congalou!

I finally went with 2.0mm for the Tumba’s and 1.8mm for the Conga’s -- natural brown steer. One C/T set I soaked the skins to al dente and the other C/T set I soaked more. I found that the al dente has a dryer, virtually no overtone or ring sound and the more soaked heads have a bit of a wetter sound. The al dente was on the plus of thickness and the wetter were on the minus side of thickness.
For the Quinto I used a thinner mule about 1.5mm—it rocks.

For those with good math skills that is 5 tubs, my partner/wife has her own C/T set. A jam session is real easy to schedule.

So here to say that a good quality production conga with a premium skin vastly improves tonal quality and playability. Not even thinking about more expensive Congas and will not for many, many years. Manito really came through with advice and product.

Happy New Year to all.

peace, marcus
Marcus

Return to CongaSet and accessories