Traditional Crowns vs. Comfort Curve

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Traditional Crowns vs. Comfort Curve

Postby torpedo tom » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Why does it seem that traditional crowns are more preferred over the comfort curve crowns to the point of changing perfectly good/new comfort curve crowns for extra cost after-market traditionals?
torpedo tom

Re: Traditional Crowns vs. Comfort Curve

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:11 pm

One word, Tradition.
I have had them both but really prefer the traditional crown over the comfort curve.
There is something about a traditional looking Conga that just captivates me, the crown the bands, not to mention the natural skins.
I did find, however, that the comfort curve is more comfortable, not to mention, that in some cases the rivets on a traditional crown sometimes become loose and so there is a need for repair.
I believe that you will find that most of the Congueros that have been playing longer would lean more towards the traditional Conga.
My 2 cts.
Cheers.
K.C.

See attached Image showing a classic example of traditional congas, Requena and Skin on Skin side by side.
I titled this picture "Two legends meet" :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSC00097[1].JPG
KING CONGA

Postby burke » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Although I've never re skinned comfort curve myself I think I've read its more difficult than traditional rims.
Burke
burke

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:47 pm

burke wrote:Although I've never re skinned comfort curve myself I think I've read its more difficult than traditional rims.

It IS!
Especially with thick and stubborn skins.
Wrestling with alligators comes to mind...
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Gallichio » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:38 am

I love the traditional rims. (shown on the Volcanos and Slingerlands) I believe it's because it was what I learned on. I believe if you have good technique you will never hurt your hands on the old style rims. It helps you learn that really fast. Comfort curves are OK but I feel at home with the traditional. In fact I wish my LP Galaxy fiberglass had traditional rims . Anyone have a set of 4 LP gold tone traditional rims to trade for comfort curves? I don't know if they sell them for all 4 sizes. I also like the quarter round rims. (Shown on Volcano Bongos)I think they look just as nice as traditional and are a bit easier on the hands/fingers, They could be the best of both worlds.
Attachments
congas1.jpg
congas.jpg
bongos.jpg
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:05 pm

As a small child in Cuba I grew up looking at tumbadoras by Vergara and Requena, that classic Cuban look (steamline) has stuck with me forever. I hate the looks of comfort curved crowns and of goldplated hardware, give me traditional crowns always!
Omelenko1

Postby congamyk » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:50 am

I agree with everyone above.
The traditional look is the classic look.
Once you get used to seeing the conga that way, the comfort curve rims look bulky and tacky.
I also like the feel of the traditional rim barely missing my hand as I play - it keeps my technique straight!
congamyk

Return to CongaSet and accessories