Playing out.

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Playing out.

Postby torpedo tom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Am semi-retired now and am ready to take the drums seriously. Talked it over with a couple of high school buddies (same as brothers) this week end about putting a three-piece acoustic group together, two guitars and congas/percussion, and playing out. My lady knew we had played this week end, but didn't know we had talked about forming a group. When I got to her house last evening, she told me she had a gig for me and the boys in about 6/8 weeks. How is that for timing? It will be easy-listening music about two hours for a wine tasting deal. What advice can you give me?
torpedo tom

Re: Playing out.

Postby rhythmrhyme » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 pm

be sure they set aside a bottle of their finest for the band! :D Aside from that, sounds like a great way to get your feet wet!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:44 am

go for it!..and have fun!...u might want to add bongos and cajon for diversity...
JohnnyConga

Postby Tumbas » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 am

I just answered a similar question..

Since you guys know each other well, you just need to make sure your levels are balanced.

Acoustic/unplugged gigs are the most fun you can have.

Engage your audience... let them know that your performance is for them. That's basically what you're doing anyway - sharing and exchanging.

As cliche' as it sounds - if you do what you love, you will love what you do... the outcome.

Reach out to their souls.
Tumbas

Postby CongaTick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:40 pm

All the advice you've received is dead-on (esp from JC) Just want to add, connect with each other--play for yourselves, RELAX, HAVE FUN...it'll show in the music.
CongaTick

Return to CongaSet and accessories