New Conga skin ?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: New Conga skin ?

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:56 pm

blavonski wrote:Hello Mike,
I wasn't in a fury, simply annoyed with what I percieved as a smarty pants and intolerant remark by you to something I shared with you per private message. And, I appreciate you clarifying your intent behind it.

Sorry, but I see the need for one more clarification: I did not drag anything from your PM into the public
that you had not mentioned in this thread. And calling me intolerant or smart-alecky is not really nice I must
say. In no word did I become personal as far as I can see. Must be a different perception.
Oh well, perhaps we should leave it at that.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby blavonski » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:17 am

Mike wrote:
I wasn't in a fury, simply annoyed with what I percieved as a smarty pants and intolerant remark by you to something I shared with you per private message. And, I appreciate you clarifying your intent behind it.

Sorry, but I see the need for one more clarification: I did not drag anything from your PM into the public
that you had not mentioned in this thread. And calling me intolerant or smart-alecky is not really nice I must
say. In no word did I become personal as far as I can see. Must be a different perception.

Mike, your language reveals to me that you have not openly read what I wrote you.
1. I did not call you anything, I wrote what I percieved your words to represent to me.
2. I didn't write that you dragged anything in here from someplace else, I clearly wrote what I shared with you in a privat manner.

And I must say that your entries regarding Fritz's Skins are contradictory.
In your first response that I took issue with, you wrote that he only sells exceptionally good skins.... Then yesterday you wrote that you've only purchased once from him and that it was just ok.

I hope that you can see how your second, possibly more honest comment about Fritz's skins contradicts and negates your first, as well as raising the question as to the motive/intent behind the first one.
Again, I simply questioned and took issue with your langauge that I percieved as unnecessarily provocative.

Good Vibrations,
Blavonski
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:59 pm

blavonski wrote:
Mike wrote:

Mike, your language reveals to me that you have not openly read what I wrote you.
1. I did not call you anything, I wrote what I percieved your words to represent to me.
2. I didn't write that you dragged anything in here from someplace else, I clearly wrote what I shared with you in a privat manner.

And I must say that your entries regarding Fritz's Skins are contradictory.
In your first response that I took issue with, you wrote that he only sells exceptionally good skins.... Then yesterday you wrote that you've only purchased once from him and that it was just ok.

I hope that you can see how your second, possibly more honest comment about Fritz's skins contradicts and negates your first, as well as raising the question as to the motive/intent behind the first one.
Again, I simply questioned and took issue with your langauge that I percieved as unnecessarily provocative.

Good Vibrations,
Blavonski

Sorry, I am just a plain stupid German.
With a lot of work to do as well, so I´m refrain from saying much more here. :roll:
Only that you are the one who is nitpicking here.
By saying "OK" for the Würth skin I meant superb, but (at least for me) too expensive. Banux ´ skins are half the price.

Enough said, I am off here for a while, as I am fed up with explaining every tiny little detail, giving advice
and getting shot with paranoid answers. :twisted:

Perhaps 12 years on this board are more than enough now.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby buckoh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Now, to get back on the subject, what is "the rope/Synch Technic, as I do Bongos, but didn't put them under the same tension"?
buckoh

Postby blavonski » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:13 pm

buckoh wrote:Now, to get back on the subject, what is "the rope/Synch Technic, as I do Bongos, but didn't put them under the same tension"?

Hello Buckoh,
It's cinch not synch!I spelled it wrong; must have been my subconscious at work...
funny how it also is a form of sychronization :wink: Maybe that's why you asked what it is.

At any rate, below is a Photo of the cinch technic on my Meinl Bongos from a year and a half ago.
It really gives the Bongos the tension they need for crisp tones with out having to tune so much and in my opinion, it makes the mounting process less labor intensive. A drum maker hip me to this technique and I've also seen a video of Brazillian drum makers, Congas included using it as well. However, one does need to use long tuning lugs such as those I made from 8mm all thread for my Congas.
But for mounting Bongo skins, I made a device similar to a book press, so that the skin stays centered while the ring is stretched down enough to get all four lugs comfortably on at one time. I stretch it a bit more to where I want the tension to be, then I remove the cinch cord and go from there.

Good Vibrations,
Blavonski
Attachments
Fell um der Ring mit Schnur gespannt.JPG
Last edited by blavonski on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby Marcus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Hey Blavonski,

What brand of hardware are you using there. I might have missed it in an earlier post.

thx, Marcus
Marcus

Postby blavonski » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Marcus wrote:Hey Blavonski,

What brand of hardware are you using there. I might have missed it in an earlier post.

thx, Marcus

Hello Marcus,

are you refering to the Conga Hardware or the Bongo Hardware in the above Foto?

The Congas, from the German company Schalloch, and original Hardware are well over 25 years old when their drums were still made in Hamburg, Germany.
The Bongo Hardware above is from Meinl, Marathon series. I hope I answered your question.

Also, to those interested,
Because my conga skins were still rough to the touch, I gave Tae's information and thoughts on sanding skins serious consideration, and put them to practice by sanding them. I used slightly used 100 grit paper and dove right in. And, I have to say, I was amazed, it worked like a charm; they're incredibly smooth! Also, there's really not much to be concerned about with the bearing edge either, for one only removes the very top layers of hard, rough dreid skin on the surface. It reminded me of sanding fiberglass...very, very fine dust. I recomend it.

Now see, if the person I bought the skins from had been as thoughful and informative about the process as Tae's discription above is in the first place, and had not brushed me off with his defensiveness, I would have been more open to his impatient suggestion to just sand them. I would have done this in the beginning and would have saved myself a bit of concern as well as a little Shea Butter :wink:.

Good Vibrations,
Blavonski
Attachments
DSC03787.JPG
DSC03791.JPG
Last edited by blavonski on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby buckoh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:12 am

I see. I've been using that technique for a while now. It's much easier now! I use a sailmakers palm, a large needle and waxed thread.
buckoh

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories