Questions about old LP's

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Questions about old LP's

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Mike wrote:There have definitely been 29" tall LP fiberglass congas.

By the way, very interesting background story, RitmoB.!

So looks like there are LP original fiberglass congas
that go any where from 28" to 30" tall.

Mike if you go to any of Mr. Cohen's pages
on-line you can read a lot of history and
some fascinating stories about LP.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Yes,
and suddenly I remembered that we discussed vintage LP fiberglass here
a while ago as well:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3289&hilit=vintage+lp%C2%B4s+fiberglass+29+palisades+park&start=15
Last edited by Mike on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby TonyB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:57 pm

So, the significance of the 29", if there is any? I know the story of the 28's and the 30's but have yet to see anything about the "why's" of the 29's. Is there supposed to be a sound difference or is it about preference of height? Were they called something different?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am very interested and even more excited about my find. Every bit of info gets me a little bit higher.

Thanks guys!
TonyB

Postby TonyB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Does anyone know what size wrench I need for these? The nuts are tiny compared to my other drums. What is a good lube to buy? I can't find my lug lube. Heading to the hardware store in a bit.

Can I use synthetic heads that I bought for same size but curved rims until I can get some new skins? Will it rip them?

Thanks
TonyB

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:17 pm

white lithium grease for the lugs
Now the remo synthetic heads is
a tricky thing specially the newer
skyndeep.
RitmoBoricua

Postby TonyB » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:13 am

I have been playing the heck out of these drums. I put synthetic heads on them and it is awesome to not have to tune whenever the weather/humidity changes. I have been playing the tumba and conga.

I couldn't find anymore info on these guys but I am gonna just keep on playing them. I'll be looking for a set in better shape down the road. I love pulling them out of the bags and they are in tune and ready to go. I don't have to powder my hands, which is fantastic in this super-humid area I live in. They have a much warmer tone than my other drums. I had to put duct tape on the underside of the tumba head to keep it from ringing.

Everyone I play with says they are much easier on the ears than the wooden requinto/tumba I was playing. I got to hear a recording from a show I did a few weeks ago and I am absolutely in love with the warm sound these things put out.

I will look into restoring them properly after I find another old set of fiberglass drums. I can't imagine going back to wood and skin for outside shows. I don't have to get to places 2 hours early so my drums can acclimate anymore - that is money in the bank from where I'm sitting.
TonyB

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories