Isla Percussion 2009 Conga and Tumba~ No Cracks!

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Isla Percussion 2009 Conga and Tumba~ No Cracks!

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu May 16, 2013 4:57 pm

The one on the left looks a bit like Mario's cherry drums, but if the inside is a lighter color then it's definitely canoe.

The stave joints and construction on your drums looks quite tight compared with my set. In your pictures I can't see any obvious gaps between the staves or wide glue lines between them. Are they the same way close up? I'm guessing there aren't any chalk marks under the varnish or anyone's name written in chalk on the outside varnished into the finish either, right? Are both drums the same height? Looks like you might have acquired one of his better works - nice find!

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu May 16, 2013 5:01 pm

rhythmrhyme wrote:The one on the left looks a bit like Mario's cherry drums, but if the inside is a lighter color then it's definitely canoe.

The stave joints and construction on your drums looks quite tight compared with my set. In your pictures I can't see any obvious gaps between the staves or wide glue lines between them. Are they the same way close up? I'm guessing there aren't any chalk marks under the varnish or anyone's name written in chalk on the outside varnished into the finish either, right? Are both drums the same height? Looks like you might have acquired one of his better works - nice find!

RR

Both drums are the same height, no gaps per se (my Volcano congas have gaps in the quinto by the way where the wood shrunk as it was not dried long enough). HIs name is written inside and I am 99% sure it is Canoe wood now.
Mr.Rumba

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu May 16, 2013 6:22 pm

Cool - sounds like a good find.

On my set, my name is written in white chalk on the outside of the drum, very partially sanded off, then varnished into the finish, they are all also marked with white chalk to set the bands with the marks varnished into the finish... There are several spots where the staves don't join properly (small open air gaps) and glue lines that are an 1/8 of an inch or more on a number of locations. My tumba is a full inch taller than the other drums, and the requinto is probably another 1/2 inch shorter than the conga - not an issue for the requinto as I don't play it in the set. Kinda weird with the tumba though. Conga arrived cracked, all the hardware is warped now etc., the flesh hoops don't quite match the crown so a couple are pulling through, finish has dark running streaks on all the drums. From 20 feet they look OK, but up close lots of issues.

Your drums definitely look good compared to mine. I had posted previously about the inconsistent workmanship from Mario and have seen some very nice examples of his work.
rhythmrhyme

Postby Mr.Rumba » Fri May 17, 2013 7:27 am

rhythmrhyme wrote:Cool - sounds like a good find.

On my set, my name is written in white chalk on the outside of the drum, very partially sanded off, then varnished into the finish, they are all also marked with white chalk to set the bands with the marks varnished into the finish... There are several spots where the staves don't join properly (small open air gaps) and glue lines that are an 1/8 of an inch or more on a number of locations. My tumba is a full inch taller than the other drums, and the requinto is probably another 1/2 inch shorter than the conga - not an issue for the requinto as I don't play it in the set. Kinda weird with the tumba though. Conga arrived cracked, all the hardware is warped now etc., the flesh hoops don't quite match the crown so a couple are pulling through, finish has dark running streaks on all the drums. From 20 feet they look OK, but up close lots of issues.

Your drums definitely look good compared to mine. I had posted previously about the inconsistent workmanship from Mario and have seen some very nice examples of his work.

Wow, my jaw drops when I read stories like these and I have actually read and seen many poor examples in person. My friend has a set of cracked Isla bata that we play and they do sound great and the cracks are not going any further, so hopefully they will just stay. Beautiful exotic wood, huge cracks! The thing about cracks as I am sure you know is that they are all fixable or at least you can stop them and repair them to some extent. I just had an old Timbas Ismael restored and you should have seen the cracks in that thing.
Mr.Rumba

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri May 17, 2013 11:54 pm

I understand repairing cracks in old drums, I'm less understanding of needing to make repairs on new drums that I pay full retail for.

My jaw dropped when I opened the boxes as well. First I thought something horrible must have happened in shipping and somehow all the stave joints got busted up or something. I soon came to realize they were simply built that way. It tapped me out and wobbled my faith in artisan builders. First stunned, then angry.

Jay at SOS healed me though brother :D for that I'll always be thankful 8) Some Manito love through a solid shelled set of bongo's looks positive as well!! I have a spiritual connection to my drums and it's important they are birthed with dignity and respect, otherwise they carry negative energy that I struggle to rid. Even a mass produced drum is easier to integrate - at least it's just a "blank slate".
rhythmrhyme

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon May 20, 2013 3:51 am

rhythmrhyme wrote:I understand repairing cracks in old drums, I'm less understanding of needing to make repairs on new drums that I pay full retail for.

My jaw dropped when I opened the boxes as well. First I thought something horrible must have happened in shipping and somehow all the stave joints got busted up or something. I soon came to realize they were simply built that way. It tapped me out and wobbled my faith in artisan builders. First stunned, then angry.

Jay at SOS healed me though brother :D for that I'll always be thankful 8) Some Manito love through a solid shelled set of bongo's looks positive as well!! I have a spiritual connection to my drums and it's important they are birthed with dignity and respect, otherwise they carry negative energy that I struggle to rid. Even a mass produced drum is easier to integrate - at least it's just a "blank slate".

I am glad you figured out what to do about it, got it fixed or whatever. Jay is def. a good man as well! The Manito bongos are pretty amazing. I am really enjoying playing them and now that they are breaking in I have them super cranked. Much fun!
Mr.Rumba

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories