new/old congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

new/old congas

Postby vinnieL » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:55 am

Well today I may become the owner of 3 palisades park congas I will let you know if the deal goes ok. Everything should be good to go but things happen so I don't want to get too excited until this afternoon
vinnieL

Re: new/old congas

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:36 pm

LP Palisades Park congas are percussion treasures and collectors items. Every salsa percussionist in NYC is looking for a set. These LP fiberglass original are the best LP ever made. My "dos centavos".
Omelenko1

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:LP Palisades Park congas are percussion treasures and collectors items. Every salsa percussionist in NYC is looking for a set. These LP fiberglass original are the best LP ever made. My "dos centavos".

I agree 100%. I still have my 4 black and 2 white from the 70's. The funny and ironic thing is that the "originals" or shorties as I call them were a mistake. I was talking to Martin Cohen about it recently and he told me that they were a mistake. When he got the first ones he designed back from the fiber glass fabricator they were too short. It was not what he had ordered. But, he did not have enough money to do them over so he went with that design.
Mr.Rumba

Postby vinnieL » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:57 pm

looking foward to this
vinnieL

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:04 pm

I recently picked up an original trio from the early 70's, they are almost pristine. Had many sets trough the yrs. and always ended up selling them. Palisades Park congas are what hardcore NYC salseros are looking for, they are work horses and with proper care will last a lifetime. In my opinion the best congas ever from LP. Photo of mine enclosed ,same as what Barretto had on the album cover "Barretto".
LP%20original%20model.jpg
LP%20original%20model.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
Omelenko1

Postby vinnieL » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Here you go
Attachments
DSC00568.JPG
vinnieL

Postby Omelenko1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:14 am

Congatulations Vinnie, they look great. Nothing better than those, the work horses of the industry. Very difficult to find in this day and age, they look to be in excellent shape.

Abrazos.
Omelenko1

Postby vinnieL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Thank brother I cleaned them up a little that black mark on the white quinto is gone now. I am probably going to get skins for them at least the quinto first then the others
vinnieL

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Nice score Vinnie!

I can see from the one picture that they bring out your inner child :D

Cute happy lookin' little boy you have there, I'm guessing he loves that dad's a drummer!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby vinnieL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:32 pm

rhythmrhyme wrote:Nice score Vinnie!

Cute happy lookin' little boy you have there, I'm guessing he loves that dad's a drummer!

Thaks brother it's been a while since our phone conversation about certain drum makers! yes he is soething else I play guitar also and of course he wants to do everything daddy wants to do.
vinnieL

Postby roberthelpus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:59 pm

What joy in that face and the sparkle in his eyes.

He'll be nipping at our heels before you know it.
roberthelpus

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:17 pm

vinnieL wrote:
rhythmrhyme wrote:Nice score Vinnie!

Thaks brother it's been a while since our phone conversation about certain drum makers! yes he is soething else I play guitar also and of course he wants to do everything daddy wants to do.

Since then I went "all in" with Jay and Josh at SOS. It has turned out to be a very good decision! I frigin' love those guys, and their gear draws me to play every day. The drums are full of good energy.

Here's a link to my room: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4129&p=78524&hilit=SOS+congas#p78524
rhythmrhyme

Postby vinnieL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 pm

awesome can't go wrong unfortunately I think Jay is not going to make anymore I heard his apprentice left and he is not taking any orders so you might have some of the last few sets made from SOS
vinnieL

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 pm

REALLY! That sucks!

When I had talked to them both before it sounded like Josh made carry the torch once Jay let go of the reigns. Those types of transitions are hard to navigate though, it certainly was for my father and I in terms of a family business. Ended up just going off on my own.

That would mark the end of a very long and very successful era and career of conga making. I'll have to give Jay a call next week.
rhythmrhyme

Postby vinnieL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Thats what I have heard but certainly its not Gospel. I hope SOS will carry on because I always wanted a set but I guess we will see. I can't think of anyone else besides SOS or Matt Smith I would want a drum from and I love Matt Smith's work I'm not waiting that long for a set.
vinnieL

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories