Cuban Conga Drum Identity?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Cuban Conga Drum Identity?

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Anyone have any ideas what exactly this drum is? Allegedly brought over from Cuba but no other info is available (pawn shop drum). The handle looks after market.
Attachments
$T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fB(IIBRH9Jr)UJQ~~60_57.JPG
Mr.Rumba

Re: Cuban Conga Drum Identity?

Postby Omelenko1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Looks like a Timbas Ismael conga. The crown looks very much like it and so does the wood. Years ago a had a set with similar wood, looks like flat sawn oak. Probably from the early 70's. The oak in Cuban Vergaras came from wine barrels and it didn't have that grain. I'm inclined towards it being an Ismael from PR.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby pcastag » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Cat's out the bag now!
PC
pcastag

Postby Thebreeze » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:46 pm

If you are going to let the cat out of the bag, you might as well let him out. This drum is on ebay. Here is the link....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Conga-D ... 3cceff5823

By the way.....Sometimes it's better to not mention these things when there are already bidders posted in ebay because there is definitely someone trying to get a nice deal on a hidden treasure, and once the cat is out of the bag, it is totally ruined for those who were trying to win it. Since you let the cat out I just posted the ebay link to make it easier for anyone to see it, which they would eventually figure it out anyway. I know just from my own experiences, there have been times when I was hoping to win a bid on a nice drum or bongo and sure enough, someone from the Forum would post the info here like you just did and ruined my chances for a low bidder auction. Hopefully you did not mean to do that, and it was all just innocent??

p.s..... I myself am not bidding on that drum, but I sympathize with whoever was and now more bidders will compete with them.
Thebreeze

Postby rhythmrhyme » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 am

Well.... that's good news for Mr. Rumba's friend then I guess, right?

The old girl looks like she had a rather shoddy crack repair done at some point. Did anyone else notice that?

It's a good lookin' drum either way, hopefully the seller gets a fair price for it.

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby pcastag » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:27 am

Thebreeze wrote:If you are going to let the cat out of the bag, you might as well let him out. This drum is on ebay. Here is the link....

By the way.....Sometimes it's better to not mention these things when there are already bidders posted in ebay because there is definitely someone trying to get a nice deal on a hidden treasure, and once the cat is out of the bag, it is totally ruined for those who were trying to win it. Since you let the cat out I just posted the ebay link to make it easier for anyone to see it, which they would eventually figure it out anyway. I know just from my own experiences, there have been times when I was hoping to win a bid on a nice drum or bongo and sure enough, someone from the Forum would post the info here like you just did and ruined my chances for a low bidder auction. Hopefully you did not mean to do that, and it was all just innocent??

p.s..... I myself am not bidding on that drum, but I sympathize with whoever was and now more bidders will compete with them.

Huh? You talking to me?
PC
pcastag

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:31 am

Not sure what you mean pcastag. Elaborate please.
Thebreeze

Postby pcastag » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 am

Me neither, that's why I'm askin'
PC
pcastag

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 am

pcastag....I was referring my comment to Mr.Rumba. He is the one that let the cat out of the bag, you just commented about it. So, no, I was talking to Mr. Rumba.
Thebreeze

Postby pcastag » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:41 am

I didn't see anybody post info about the auction except you. BTW I am the current high bidder and have been.You don't have to feel symathetic, I'm sure in the end it will go to the right guy for the right money! Interesting looking drum though.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:42 am

OK, I guess I am the one that let the cat out of the bag. Let's leave it at that. I hope, like you say, the right person wins the drum.
This concludes my posting on this thread.
Thebreeze

Postby Omelenko1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 am

I had seen it on Ebay early this morning. It definitely has had a crack and / or split. I'm inclined towards an early Ismael, more so. Another drum comes to mind from the early 70's, only a few made out of Long Island, NY. "Casa Cubana". But the resemblance towards an Ismael is very strong, same crown, very similar rectangular side plates and the flat sawn oak. Vergara is not, as they were quarter sawn oak from "barriles de vino". Willing to bet my "cojon izquierdo" is Boricua Ismael.
Omelenko1

Postby pcastag » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 am

Definitely a shoddily repaired crack, some separation at teh bottom and looks like maybe some unevenness on teh bearing edge. Definitely an interesting drum, I like the shape, vey cuban.
PC
pcastag

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:32 am

Thebreeze wrote:If you are going to let the cat out of the bag, you might as well let him out. This drum is on ebay. Here is the link....

Mr. Breeze. I was not trying to hide anything, spoil anything for anyone but I am interested to buy the drum. That is why I left the link out! Any collector or person who would bid on the drum probably has a message automatically sent to him from ebay whenever a vintage drum comes up for sale. I am a drum fanatic, probably like yourself and I am constantly seeking information. I do not know about vintage drums. Since there are knowledgable people here I was asking what is the drum? I am sure you are curious as well? I thought the purpose of the forums was to share information?
Last edited by Mr.Rumba on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Rumba

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 am

You are right Mr.Rumba. I am sorry about saying what I said, and I apologize for it. You are absolutely correct. Sorry about that. I guess I mis-read the whole thing and came to wrong conclusions.
Thebreeze

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories