What are these Volcanos worth?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: What are these Volcanos worth?

Postby Psyammy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey everyone I bought a mango wood conga from Tom in 2010 and paid $850.00 with everything on it. (Silver Mini Metal Flake and Highly Figured & Partial Curly Mango wood Bookmatched together, Custom Traditional hardware and the more expensive bumpers) and I am very happy with my drum, again it was $850.00 total price for the drum. If I wanted to spend "BIG BUCKS" I would have got Gon Bops (I live in Melbourn Aus) check out the price for these. http://www.drummersparadise.com.au/hand ... ops-congas congas are not cheep here in Aus. :)

Psyammy
Psyammy

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:26 pm

MAN THOSE ARE OBSCENE PRICES!!!...it's like they don't want anyone to learn to play these drums...they cost too much!
..which reminds me of when i first went to Paris France in 1975 and saw an LP Fiberglass conga in a store window for almost $2,000 dollars and that was in 1975....today would be almost 3 times that for a drum...I think it's getting a bit out of hand now...I dunno...what do u guys think?
JohnnyConga

Postby Psyammy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 am

Oops, i should have put in the currency Coverter, Gon Bops $3,999.00 (AUD) = 4122.9694 (USD) and the other $3,229.00 (AUD) = 3329.0994 (USD) so to answer your question johnny, of what I think.....I think i will go with the Volcanos. :)
These Gon Bops have been in that shop for over 3 years now with no buyers. (gee, wonder why?)
/sarcasm off
I have not gone into that shop yet to laugh at them for the price they are asking, but doing that is on my bucket list. :)
And if your just looking for LP they are asking $1997 comes with LP290B Collapsable Double Conga Stand.
$1997 (AUD) = 2061.2342 (USD)
http://www.drummersparadise.com.au/Prod ... -conga-set

Psyammy
Psyammy

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:59 am

Here is Gary's collection of Volcanos...he lives in Tacoma Washington...he selling some of them ...but for too much money imho..
Gary's Volcanos...jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby 440ranch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:42 am

So, I notice. In the photo he has a set next to his stool (looks like he plays these) that are "sunset models" designed to have the same profile as vintage Valjes... Notice the more extreme bend in the belly.

It seems like the negative wrap on Volcanos have never mentioned the sound quality of the "sunset models".

Does anyone know if there is a difference?

JC- does Gary ever come to this site?
440ranch

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:31 pm

I don't think Gary is here on this site...I also believe he may have the only set of "Sunset Model", as Mr. Tom Alexander the maker/creator of Volcanos passed away this time last year...I have never heard them personally either..I know how my Hawaiian Mango congas sound and I love em!...here is Gary and his Sunsets..
Volcano Valje.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:23 pm

i just went to look at the set of 4 congas and bongos in Miami i posted at thee beginning of this thread, They all had cracks on the bottom of the drums along the glue lines.
one if them had about a 3/4 " crack into the stave *from inside to the surface. Is this going to be a problem in the future?
Mr.Rumba

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Michael ....there is NO GLUE used in Volcano drums..if u look inside you will not see glue lines..he used a specific 'resin' with interlocking staves...if those drums had cracks t's because IMHO they have been abused...I have had mine going for 5 years and they are in great condition, with no cracks what so ever..
JohnnyConga

Postby Gallichio » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Mr Rumba,

I checked all of my Volcanos and no cracks of any kind and I have had my drums about 7 years. I am very careful with all my drums also my LP galaxy fiberglass. I did have cracked Volcano drums but that was due to the shipper no falt of the Volcano drums. The shipper paid a hefty price back to Thomas Alexander(RIP) for the damage. I also had a fiberglass Slingerland conga that was dropped off the back of a truck but I was able to fix the small damage to the crown. Do you have any photos of the cracked congas? I wonder if the heat had anything to do with the cracks or if the drums were dropped. I have not seen a photo of a cracked Volcano conga yet, it would be interesting to see photos.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Please notice how there is a crack or separation along the lines in between each stave. These are the monkey pod bongos. The congas have the same issue in each drum.
The cracks do not go all the way through the drums (yet).
Attachments
730627_4402957667563_1523360798_n.jpg
Mr.Rumba

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Kind of look more like bongo than a conga to me
but you can see some "pinholes" in the glue lines
between staves.
Attachments
730627_4402957667563_1523360798_n.jpg
RitmoBoricua

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm

That set of Volcanos, along with the bongos, belong to my friend Steve. I also saw some splits on the bongos when I inspected them. I played the congas but did not turned them over, as I realized I wasn't going to pay the asking price. I also played some lower end Rhythm Techs that he had and both sets sounded similar, then I played some Skin on Skin and you could hear the difference. I'm not putting anyone down, is not my intention, but the SOS's sounded much sweeter to my ears. The Volcanos outshined every drum he had (and he has plenty) when it comes to beauty. My 2 cents.
Omelenko1

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 am

I did not take photos of the congas, i am just showing the bongos as an example of the type of split the conga drums have..they all have splits of various degrees and I am curious if this will open up more over time and become worse and also, how this effects the value of the drums.
Mr.Rumba

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories