Solid shell congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Solid shell congas

Postby pcastag » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Who's got em? How do you like them? Where did you get them? How much we're they (optional) ?
Fr some reason I've got my interest peaked about getting some.
PC
pcastag

Re: Solid shell congas

Postby Thebreeze » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 pm

I remember about one year ago forum member warrior4christ1 had a three drum set for sale on Ebay. They were beautiful and I remember saying to myself that if I ever wanted to get a set I would ask to see if he still had them. He is in the Chicago area. Maybe you can pm him just to see ???? I don't remember the maker but it might have been drumskulls but don't know for sure since it was about a year ago, I just remember that they were very nice looking drums and he was asking a very fair price for them back then. Good luck.
Thebreeze

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 am

Take a look at these nice congas!!!

http://www.drummagazine.com/gear/post/d ... od-congas/
Thebreeze

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:10 am

I have 4 Spirit In The Wood solid shell congas and one set of bongos. They are made from Figured Ash wood. At first I was concerned about the weight, but it turns out they are much lighter then my Giovanni Ash LP's. The sound quality and projection is superb. I travel with two of them (quinto and tumba) and play in bands in Asia. I mentioned in another post that they go in and out of taxi trunks in only a padded conga case and they have really held up fine. I also have Tocas here which I do not take out any more because they are so much heavier, the skins are not as nice (buffalo) and..the finish gets chipped off very easily it seems. I would like to mention something I have not seen others write about which is that because the drums are one piece (solid) the requinto (back in the usa) and the quinto actually have a nice bass tone which is very unusual for a smaller diameter drum. I recently ordered 4 Manito Maple Ambrosia drums as well as Manito solid shell Walnut bongos. I have not played them yet but I will post video and photos. Manito offers 2 different hardware types, traditional with the comfort curve which is def. my favorite hardware..(looks similar to Fats or Gon Bops California) and "floating". I would like to mention I also own a set of Matthew Smith, (which I LOVE as well), Fats and several LP's and Gon Bops as well as Skin On Skin. At this level it is really a matter of personal choice. My personal preference is solid shells. Conrad treats the wood with a chemical process that ensures there is no cracking and I believe Manito does something as well. So far I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Here is a casual demo of me playing some PM's, then Spirit In The Wood, Then Matthew Smith, then California Gon Bops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDKimY4kGXw

This a video (bootleg) of me playing SITW congas on Thai PBS TV show with Latin/Jazz/Fusion group:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ2sWuTHG4g

Spalted-Poplar-Quinto31.jpg
Manitio Spalted Poplar conga with floating hardware
spaltedsycamore4.jpg
Manito Spalted Sycamore COnga drum with traditional hardware
734122_580267675333027_749631855_n.jpg
Maple Ambrosia Manito Solid Shell Congas being made now
553592_4277801618144_1121500982_n.jpg
My 'Spirit In The Wood Drum Co.' Figured Ash Congas by Conrad Kubiak
Attachments
282809_486169901409472_6420021_n.jpg
Manito Percussion walnut with floating hardware (can be ordered with traditional hardware as well)
Mr.Rumba

Postby Thebreeze » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 am

Mr.Rumba.... Nice video on the different Congas. For some time I have contemplated getting some PMs from Peter Musser. I spoke with him a couple of years ago about it but my finances have been shot since I got Layed off back then. Since you are the only one I have seen that owns some PMs I wanted to get your honest opinion about them. The models that you have " Cuban Tribute Series " are the same ones that I would love to get one day. So if you can, please give me an insight on them ok? Thanks.

p.s..... nice drumming in the videos.
Thebreeze

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:51 am

Mr Rumba, those ash ones with trad hardware and the sycamore one with trad hardware are gorgeous.

My solid shell tumbas are made of Almendra (Cuban Walnut). Stainless steel traditional crowns, 7 lugs. 11.75" and 13" with large bellies. Co-designed by me.
Hand made in in Havana, Cuba. Took just on 3 weeks to complete. Couldve been earlier but we were waiting on a spare welder which was being used elsewhere.
Originally made with the centre band, I later had it removed when I took them back in for some minor adjustments.
They sound amazing, they made their debut in Havana with Adalberto Alvarez y Su Son, everyone had positive comments on them, later that night we hung out and played rumba til the early hours with musicians from Los Van Van and Adalberto.
Once back home every gig Ive done with these, I get props on their sound. No over tones, crisp, clean tones, wicked slaps, bass tones, huge projection. I love them.
Sure they have some aesthetic flaws, and are not perfect, but the sound is unlike anything Ive played in my 20 + yr journey with the Conga drum. Im very happy with these and plan on bringing back another 2 on the next trip.

Here are some pics.

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:59 am

Mr.The breeze, please let me clarify. I do not own the PM's or the Gon Bops California. They were on loan to me to video a test/review for my blog page http://www.michaelpluznick.com and my Youtube page. I do own the Ritmos, Spirit In The wood, Fats, and many others. The PM's are a very unique, very good and solid hand made drum with a lot of attention to detail and great sound. I would have liked slightly different skins, thinner perhaps..The skins on the drums I played were quite thick. Great for rumba and rumberos with thick paws :)
I am quite picky about skins. My short experience with them tells me they are on par with (or very close to) the elite high end drums such as Moperc, SOS, MS and so on. Also the skin on my SITW quinto is not what I want. I want to change it to a mule from Manito percussion. My Matthew Smith congas had replacement heads put on them that were dialed in perfectly to my personal taste and satisfaction. The Gon Bops California are quite nice and highly underrated in my opinion. Akbar was making them himself up until about 6 months ago. I have heard of some great buys on those on the used drum market.
Thanks for the props on video/playing, much appreciated and glad you enjoyed it as well.
Last edited by Mr.Rumba on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Rumba

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 am

Mr. Abakua, wow! What an adventure! Beautiful photos as well. I would love to hear (and play) your drums! I was in Cuba in 1985 and 1995 and visited with many of the same groups you mentioned as well :).

ABAKUA wrote:Mr Rumba, those ash ones with trad hardware and the sycamore one with trad hardware are gorgeous.

My solid shell tumbas are made of Almendra (Cuban Walnut). Stainless steel traditional crowns, 7 lugs. 11.75" and 13" with large bellies. Co-designed by me.
Hand made in in Havana, Cuba. Took just on 3 weeks to complete. Couldve been earlier but we were waiting on a spare welder which was being used elsewhere.
Originally made with the centre band, I later had it removed when I took them back in for some minor adjustments.
They sound amazing, they made their debut in Havana with Adalberto Alvarez y Su Son, everyone had positive comments on them, later that night we hung out and played rumba til the early hours with musicians from Los Van Van and Adalberto.
Once back home every gig Ive done with these, I get props on their sound. No over tones, crisp, clean tones, wicked slaps, bass tones, huge projection. I love them.
Sure they have some aesthetic flaws, and are not perfect, but the sound is unlike anything Ive played in my 20 + yr journey with the Conga drum. Im very happy with these and plan on bringing back another 2 on the next trip.

Here are some pics.

Mr.Rumba

Return to CongaSet and accessories