Old Gon Bops and stands

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Old Gon Bops and stands

Postby apollo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Old GB requintos and quintos, these are some of the most "tip and flip" congas ever made. That's probably why just about all of them were cracked!
I don't live with very calm mature people. Hyper grand kid's, wild NFL parties and a large dog prompt me to put mine on a stand for long term preservation! The original GB stands that came with this set back in 79 or 80 left something to be desired. I set em up on an old stand but because of the narrow GB shells they tilted extremely inward.
I welded a couple of 5/16 bolts on flat brackets to extend out and now they set much better. I know using LP bracket on GB's aren't cool with the GB faithfuls but I used the two original stand bracket holes, only drilled one small third hole which could easily be patched and touched up. Because of the sheer weight I believe the LP brackets is a safer support on the old staves.
Attachments
CIMG0881.JPG
Old GB shells
CIMG0882.JPG
Extended Bracket
CIMG0883.JPG
Welded 5/16 bolts
CIMG0890.JPG
LP bracket into the original bracket holes, one extra drilled
CIMG0888.JPG
original stands came with these drums in 79 or 80
apollo