Fixing Crack in Coating

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Fixing Crack in Coating

Postby bengon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:20 pm

I have a pair of LP Classics in wine red that were water damaged. There are a few vertical cracks that I had thought went through to the wood. I cut away some of the coating (polyurethane, correct?) around the cracks and the cracks are only present on the coating. I know I could remove the coating and redo the entire finish but I'd like to spot fix it. I've attached a photo of one of the cracks that I didn't remove the coating from.

I have two questions specifically:

1) Is there a way of softening the cracked coating and allowing it to fuse?

2) The wood under the cracked areas is also discolored. Will I need to stain them to match the rest of the drum or will a new coating bring take care of that? Is LP's coating colored?

Does anybody have any recommendations on fixing these?
Attachments
DSC_0005.JPG
bengon

Re: Fixing Crack in Coating

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:54 pm

I am pretty sure LP for the most part uses a finish that contains a tint or toner on their drums.
I am pretty sure LP does not use stain on the classics. What they do is they apply a sanding sealer
first and then apply the finish with tint/toner in it. I think all you can do is try to match the color
as close as possible if you do not want to redo the whole drum. You can try a finish with a toner
like polyshades and try to get as close as possible. If the area is not too big you may be able to get
away with applying a little bit of oil stain that comes close to the color of the original finish let it dry
like said overnite then lightly sand with say 220 sand paper and apply the clear coat, I would use poly.
Before you apply the stain make sure you lightly sand the area you want to stain. Most of the time is
not a perfect match but you can get it close enough that you do not notice it unless you are up-close.
I hope this helps.
RitmoBoricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories