LP Classics/Cosmic Percussion

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: LP Classics/Cosmic Percussion

Postby Mike » Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 pm

roberthelpus wrote:I have seen worse. :( :D

Have you? :shock:

-> :P
--> :lol:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby roberthelpus » Mon May 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Mike wrote:
roberthelpus wrote:I have seen worse. :( :D

Have you? :shock:

-> :P
--> :lol:

Oh yeah. I especially like the ones where they set their bongos on top of their laps. And they aren't just trying to sell you some drums. They are actually purporting to be giving instructions for others to follow. :cry:
roberthelpus

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon May 20, 2013 6:52 pm

CP were the original makers of the respected Matadors. I had a set once bought them locally used $150 for the set, nice drums.
Attachments
DSCF2305.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby roberthelpus » Mon May 20, 2013 6:59 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:CP were the original makers of the respected Matadors. I had a set once bought them locally used $150 for the set, nice drums.

I did not know that.

Meanwhile my later day, not so nice CPs did get me started and one of the members of Grupo AfroCuba de Matanzas borrowed them to accompany a dance class when they did a weekend workshop here and boy did he make them sound good.
roberthelpus

Postby Mike » Mon May 20, 2013 8:29 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:CP were the original makers of the respected Matadors. I had a set once bought them locally used $150 for the set, nice drums.

That is an astonishing insight I also experienced some years ago.
Both Matador and CP often are under the radar, they are fine instruments
if they stem from a certain age.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 am

Now here is a update on my 10.5" Cosmic Percussion quinto/conga which I will keep as an allround beater conga:

In the end I was not too happy with the thin water buffalo skin, so I have just reskinned it with a
nice recycled skin (thanks to member godskin here!).

It is amazing that this drum has got sideplates which are 4 mm thick, so the thick dark steer is no problemo.
IMAG0254.jpg
P1050366.JPG
Last edited by Mike on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I am done, the skin has dried and been treated with a dab of shea butter,
now that slender drum is a heck of a player. Man, what a nice skin.
Its sound is really cool, with dry wood tones.
Those CP congas are an amazingly big bang for the buck.
It is a pity that you hardly ever come across bigger diameters of
these well-made drums.
IMAG0266.jpg

Edit: I posted a sound clip on my site here.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby 11am » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:14 am

I own 3 first generation CP's all 12" Siam Oak which I bought new. They are as good sounding and well made as any typical LP production made Conga of the era. They have the old style chrome LP hardware which I prefer, and have never cracked. I did change the heads to hide. All three were 600 bucks at the time. Recorded with them on many occasion, and they make great end tables in my living room as well. I agree with the general sentiment here that any drum, or crate, in the right hands, can be made to sound great, but these drums were very well made as well. No regrets here.
11am

Postby CalvinP » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:54 pm

11am wrote:I own 3 first generation CP's all 12" Siam Oak which I bought new. They are as good sounding and well made as any typical LP production made Conga of the era. They have the old style chrome LP hardware which I prefer, and have never cracked. I did change the heads to hide. All three were 600 bucks at the time. Recorded with them on many occasion, and they make great end tables in my living room as well. I agree with the general sentiment here that any drum, or crate, in the right hands, can be made to sound great, but these drums were very well made as well. No regrets here.

I just bought 2 CP congas, it says inside the conga date is: 12/3/1998 - Do you know when CP was born as a company?
CalvinP

Postby 11am » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:29 pm

LP pioneered the use of many ethnic-based instruments for wider musical uses, and continues to be a leading innovator in this area. They are particularly known for their revolutionary plastic wood blocks, claves, and agogo bells, and their cowbells, and their catalog is extensive and continually changing. Some of their discontinued china cymbals are now highly sought after.

Their Drumset division, CP or Cosmic Percussion, and Ascend saw success in the 1980s and 90s producing mostly entry level instruments, and some intermediate to professional grade instruments in Taiwan. There is little to no information on the models that were produced by them, but some catalogs that were printed still exist.

I had seen CP stuff in the 1980's, nothing great, but I was impressed with the Siam oak drums they had just come out with, when I happened to be in a music store, sometime in the late 80's early 90's (probably more exact) I also found a CP requinto along the roadside somebody threw out. Still have that drum too. It's an umbrella stand at the moment. lol
11am

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:33 am

Here is some more info on the somewhat opaque CP history:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6047&p=61801&hilit=cp+cosmic+percussion+brand#p61801
Peace & drum
Mike

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories