No More Potatos

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

No More Potatos

Postby torpedo tom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 am

Has anyone else heard that the Potato line has been discontinued? Talked to a couple of big music stores yesterday about prices on Patatos and they could not find them in LP's inventory, so I called Kaman today and the guy I talked to said they weren't making them anymore. They have all these other "signature" series. I find it hard to believe because I thought they were one of LPs best sellers.
torpedo tom

Re: No More Potatos

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 am

Patato - As in Carlos 'Patato' Valdez. Not Potato, as in the vegetable. :lol: :wink:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am

No more potatos, what are we coming to, no more chips or french fries, we are done :lol:
But if you are talking about Carlos "Patato" Valdes (S at the end no Z) congas I see plenty
of them on ebay and craiglist all the time.

http://www.lpmusic.com/products/subpage ... LP559X-1RD

If you click the above link and then click on "Buy Now" it will give you
stores that sale them. I hope this helps.

Remembering the late Carlos "Patato" Valdes one of the greats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Oi7oQlHf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0RxLaL1l10
RitmoBoricua

Postby torpedo tom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:55 am

LP isn't making them anymore. What is in stores is all that's left. Drums, not vegetables
torpedo tom

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 pm

torpedo tom wrote:LP isn't making them anymore. What is in stores is all that's left. Drums, not vegetables

One thing is for sure there is not shortage of Patato congas, plenty to go around.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:46 pm

CARLOS "PATATO" VALDES, not POTATO ( that is for french fries and to make baked with sour cream) is PATATO. "El Pequeño Gigante de los Cueros", "The Tiny Giant of the Skins". Is credited with creating the mechanical tuning hardware on the conga drum. Probably the most melodic of all conga players. Patato was the world ambassador for Latin Percussion, the company and along with Tito Puente, made millions for such company. If is true that they are discontinuing the "Patato Model", then that's a humiliation for the man that put that company on the map.

Dario
481395_10151324997045239_2119283955_n.jpg
Omelenko1

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 pm

torpedo tom wrote:Has anyone else heard that the Potato line has been discontinued? Talked to a couple of big music stores yesterday about prices on Patatos and they could not find them in LP's inventory, so I called Kaman today and the guy I talked to said they weren't making them anymore. They have all these other "signature" series. I find it hard to believe because I thought they were one of LPs best sellers.

Kaman doesn't own LP anymore. I believe Fender acquired the LP brand a few years back.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Kaban » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:21 pm

I just called LP, man who picked up greeted with "Kaman Music"; he said he thinks they don't make them anymore. I kept plugging away with questions, he finally went into his "LP page" he corrected himself, they are Special order, he also confirmed the next small batch should be here in March. I noticed GuitarCenter.com has no 11.75 for sale(hmmm), maybe they are forcefully trying to sell the used one that has been on there for months. I bought a quinto from Musicians friend, I used a 20% discount Coupon. If my Meinl conga with my newly installed cow skin sounds better(should be dry Saturday), I will prob drop the Patato order.
Kaban

Postby torpedo tom » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:55 am

Omelenko1 wrote:CARLOS "PATATO" VALDES, not POTATO ( that is for french fries and to make baked with sour cream) is PATATO. "El Pequeño Gigante de los Cueros", "The Tiny Giant of the Skins". Is credited with creating the mechanical tuning hardware on the conga drum. Probably the most melodic of all conga players. Patato was the world ambassador for Latin Percussion, the company and along with Tito Puente, made millions for such company. If is true that they are discontinuing the "Patato Model", then that's a humiliation for the man that put that company on the map.

Dario
481395_10151324997045239_2119283955_n.jpg

So sorry for the misspelling. Trust me, it was a total mistake, no disrespect for a great drummer. Again, I apologize.
torpedo tom

Postby torpedo tom » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 am

Kaban wrote:I just called LP, man who picked up greeted with "Kaman Music"; he said he thinks they don't make them anymore. I kept plugging away with questions, he finally went into his "LP page" he corrected himself, they are Special order, he also confirmed the next small batch should be here in March. I noticed GuitarCenter.com has no 11.75 for sale(hmmm), maybe they are forcefully trying to sell the used one that has been on there for months. I bought a quinto from Musicians friend, I used a 20% discount Coupon. If my Meinl conga with my newly installed cow skin sounds better(should be dry Saturday), I will prob drop the Patato order.

So they are available as a special order? Great, that is good news. What color is the quinto? If it is red, pm me with the particulars, I might take it off your haands.
torpedo tom

Postby Jaisen Torres » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:35 am

Patato models are still in production.
True Story . !
Jaisen.
Jaisen Torres

Postby Kaban » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:38 am

Hey TT, there is a nice clean set on EBay right now, check it out.
Kaban

Postby tamboricua » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Here is another set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-SET-LP-PATATO ... 9000426%26

Don't know about the "manufacturer refurbished job" as described, but the drums looks nice.

Hope this helps,

JG
tamboricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories