LAS CONGAS DEL CHINO

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

LAS CONGAS DEL CHINO

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Dario Rosendo

Las Congas del Chino.

Tony Stern from "Tony's Conga Adventures loves this set. These congas were made in a limited amount in the late 1970's, they were named "Afro Sound". The person responsible for these congas is Luis "El Chino"Gutierrez, originally from Cuba, but has been a Miami resident for the last 50 yrs, El Chino is now 88 yrs. old. El Chino first started making fiberglass congas in the early 70's, a cheaper version of the Palisades Park LP. Chino called those "Latin Sound". In the late 70's, after demands for wood congas, Chino started making the "Afro Sound" ( the ones in the photo). The shells were manufactured in Mexico and the hardware was made here in Miami by a Cuban guy that made ornamental gates and fences. Maybe 100 pairs or less of these "Afro Sound" were created by El Chino. They sold brand new for $139 quinto and $159 tumba. I had a pair yrs. ago but sold them after I got my Junior Tirados. What is unusual about the "Afro Sound" is that the hembra (12") has 7 lugs instead of the usual 5 or 6 in other congas. The 7th lug on the "Afro Sound" is a take off on the SONOCS used by Tata Guines, which were 7 lugs.
Chino is still alive, he lives in a modest home off of SW 27th Ave in Miami. I still buy conga and bongo skins from him occasionally.

Dario
el chino's.jpg
el chino's.jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
post-14-90993-CedarRebuild_005.jpg
Last edited by Omelenko1 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omelenko1

Re: LAS CONGAS DEL CHINO

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Here is another photo of a pair of Chino's Afro Sound. You can see someone added a Gon Bops mounting stand plate to it.
post-14-56561-CONGA33.jpg
Omelenko1

Return to CongaSet and accessories