A LITTLE TEST

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

A LITTLE TEST

Postby CongaTick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 pm

I prepared this little video test for those of you who feel so strongly about the relative differences in the sound of conga brands. Not to say there isn't. However, here are 5 samples to test your ears and experience. Now, I know the responses will include: "The samples are not long enough...."; "The recordings are not of sufficient quality...", etc, etc. Okay.
Nonetheless, here they are:

Name the congas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK9ghne_ ... e=youtu.be
CongaTick

Re: A LITTLE TEST

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:15 pm

C and E sound the best to my ears on the recording. E sound like what I remember Volcanoes sounding.

D's recording has quite a bit of echo.

But it also sounds like these are clips from other peoples recordings, different playes and locations. I swear I almost recognize clip E. Reminds me of Mike Gallichio on his Volcanoes, or is it JC?

My guesses:

a=matadors
b=gon bops
c=matt smith
d=meinl
e=volcanoes
bongosnotbombs

Postby CongaTick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm

I'll post the answers in a day or two, soon's others have had a chance to check it out.
CongaTick

Postby yeeman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:40 pm

All same size shells ?
All similar skin ? heads ?
All wood shells ?
All recorded in same room ?
All tuned the same ?
All recording specs the same ?

Too many variables to make a judgement.......just my 2 cents.
yeeman

Postby onile » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Excellent test Abure CongaTick!
Considering the fact that a number of factors need to be taken into consideration, however......being an unexpecting contributor to this sample of sound tests, I must say excellent indeed!

As was pointed out, several auditory factors are impeding some from guessing, or contributing a guess. I only knew which was mine by the pattern, and break I played.....it did sound like I was playing in an empty hall of sorts, but quite the contrary, it was here at home. Oh well, thanks for the challenge!

Stay well!
Attachments
179634_1636153981682_6157449_n.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby torpedo tom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:44 pm

onile wrote:Excellent test Abure CongaTick!
Considering the fact that a number of factors need to be taken into consideration, however......being an unexpecting contributor to this sample of sound tests, I must say excellent indeed!

As was pointed out, several auditory factors are impeding some from guessing, or contributing a guess. I only knew which was mine by the pattern, and break I played.....it did sound like I was playing in an empty hall of sorts, but quite the contrary, it was here at home. Oh well, thanks for the challenge!

Stay well!

Beautiful drums. What kide are they? I'm still new and don't readily recognize the different brands. Are they M. Smiths? Just a guess.
torpedo tom

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm

onile wrote:Excellent test Abure CongaTick!

Stay well!

I'm guessing your Ritmos are sample D then?
bongosnotbombs

Postby onile » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:13 pm

Yes, Matthew Smith "Ritmo" congas!

They sound much better "live" than from the internet, but then again, so do all the other drums on this test of CongaTick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZyqOAISE4

not that Patatos bear mentioning in this test, but the sound is also great, artificial (synthetic skins none the less), but eh! they sound great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZfwu41v5-s
onile

Postby torpedo tom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Both sets sound good and I know each has its place. First time I have had both to where I could compare at such close intervals. Thank you. Since I have my wooden drums, now I really want a set of fiberglass LP Originals or Meinl Fiberdrafts.. Which heads are you using on the Potatos?
torpedo tom

Postby onile » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:00 am

I went with the FiberSkyns III, the same heads that came with my Pearl Travel Congas!
onile

Postby congamyk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:51 am

(A) Volcanos
(B) Ritmos
(C)Gon Bops
(D)Matadors
(E) Meinls
congamyk

Postby Derbeno » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:13 am

Give us the 5 you have sampled and then see who puts them in the right order.

Otherwise we are just pissing in the wind :P
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 am

The 5 drum makes/brands sampled are noted at the start of the vid Derbeno. :wink:

Worthy idea, however a few things that do not do the cause justice...
Firstly, the audio quality differs greatly from sample to sample, also, different players cannot be compared when comparing sound, just to touch on player and sound, one player could get an ordinary sound out of a drum and another a great sound, the sound each player gets out of the drum is different, tuning varies, as does the room where the drums where recorded, not to mention recording equipment used. Drum sizes vary, as do skins used ie factory/aftermarket etc..

Cool idea though, would be interesting to have the variables thrown out for a true audio sample test.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:20 am

Yeah, there are so many variables the 5 different clips are really not comparable. In APPROXIMATE decreasing order of importance, I would say the variables that can make an audible difference include player, skins, drum tuning, mic placement, sitting or standing drum placement, floor surface if sitting, room acoustics, player's effort, player's hand condition (warmed up or not), rhythms played, mic(s), humidity and state of the skins, recording technique and post processing, and mic preamp/AD converters.

I do like the idea of recording your playing and listening back to hear if your drums and your playing sound like you thought they did. Of course they never do, but you can learn a lot that way.

PS I almost forgot to mention that the congas can also make a difference in the recorded sound. I would put that variable about half way down on the list. Avoidance of clipping the recording system would be first on the list but I am assuming that the person doing the recording did that, which you did.
jorge

Postby CongaTick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Ah yes....the "variables" response was pretty much expected. But I did the best I could with what I had available. In any case, here are the answers:

A= MEINLS
B= GON BOPS
C= MATADORS
D= RITMOS
E= VOLCANOS

Thank you for participating.
CongaTick

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories