Meinl fibercraft - any experience?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Meinl fibercraft - any experience?

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 am

These have been offered to me at a fraction of regular sell price, but they are about 1 and a half hour drive away from me, and dont really want to drive out there to check em out if they are shitty drums, basically. :lol:
Has anyone got some hands on experience with these? Are they pretty much on par with Matador Fiberglass? Or of a lesser quality?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Re: Meinl fibercraft - any experience?

Postby torpedo tom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 am

Just from what I've read, much better quality. Call Meinl @ 877 886 3465. Very friendly and can and will answer any questions. Very knowledgable. Hope this helps. TT
torpedo tom

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Im only interested as theyve been offered to me at under 1K for the 3, I have some great sounding drums already, id want these more so for jamming out, rumbas and extra drums for when my students come over. Out of the meinl series Ive only ever played their Woodcraft and Mongo Santamaria models while touring and seen some of their low end stuff at my LP distributors store.
If they're up there with the Matador or LP high end fiberglass drums I might pick them up. Just hate to drive 3 hours there and back for poor sounding or low end drums.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby congamyk » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Good quality drums. They will be superior to Matador fiberglass.
Unless they are brand new (perfect) condition you should be able to snag these 3 for no more than $750 US.
Peace~
congamyk

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Cheers Mike, they are brand new in the original box unopened. Looks like I will make the trip out to see them over the weekend.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby congamyk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:32 am

Best wishes, may your travel be blessed so you come back with the conga booty :-)
congamyk

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 am

I escaped early from work and headed out to see them today. I got the heads up the guy had sold the quinto, this guy was desperate for it and paid 1K for it! :shock:
So no more complete set of 3 :cry:
He had the Conga and Tumba still in the box, unopened and with the factory packaging tape and wrapping plastic still in place.
I was very happily surprised to find the drums are much darker in the flesh. Big body size too, much larger than LP's.
The hardware is very impressive, on par with solidness and thickness with the larger lugs seen on the Gio's, Palladiums etc.
Meinls version of a comfort curve rim was interesting, though I prefer traditional hardware, I was surprised with the comfort found in the rim. Overall finish on the drums and hardware/chroming etc is fantastic. Massive volume too. Later down the track, I may mount up my nice thick Cuban skins I brought back. But for now the factory ones will do just fine. They do have some decent weight to them, much heavier than a Patato or Matador, almost as heavy as a Galaxy fiberglass, but not quite as much. (from what I remember helping carry my friends drums) The shells do not have handles, no biggy. I use my carry cases to get all my drums around.
The L shaped tuning key fits perfect, no play, easy to use also.
The owner was happy for me to put the drum through its paces, tune, detune, re-tune, and go over it in detail.
Overall I was genuinely and much to my surprise very impressed with these drums, Tom & Mike were right, far superior than Matadors, and in my opinion, ahead of Patatos as well.
I've never been a fan of fiberglass drums, but these have made me a believer.
I left a deposit on them and will be back prob next week to pay the balance and take them home.
I didnt get any pics but found these online which show the drum in a bit more closer to how it looks in the flesh.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for pics: http://www.meetmusic.com/nl/archivedetail.asp?id=607

I'll post up some pics when I get them home next week. Maybe even a vid if anyone cares :lol: :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Kaban » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks for sharing with us, can't wait for your video!
Kaban

Postby congamyk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 am

Thumbs Up Bro. Those are going to look great onstage. 8)

Let us know what El Misterioso thinks of those congas if you see him.
congamyk

Postby Bongobilly » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:52 am

Congrats's on a great deal! I like Meinl mid to upper end product's . Give me the choice and i would buy Meinel with out thinking. The hardware seems sturdier.
It's Mofongo Time!
Bongobilly

Postby torpedo tom » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:35 am

Bongobilly wrote:Congrats's on a great deal! I like Meinl mid to upper end product's . Give me the choice and i would buy Meinel with out thinking. The hardware seems sturdier.

When I was shopping, I wanted LP Classics, but the Meinl Pros were so much cleaner on the inside and just seemed nicer all the way around. I love my Pros, but would still like to have some LP Salsas. Maybe someday.
torpedo tom

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 am

congamyk wrote:Thumbs Up Bro. Those are going to look great onstage. 8)

Let us know what El Misterioso thinks of those congas if you see him.

Aaaah yes El Misterioso is well overdue for another clip hahahahahaha.

online pic showing how they look closer in the flesh.. but still not quite as good..

Bongobilly, definately, my pick of the bunch from all meinls are the woodcraft with traditional hardware. Love their shape and sound. Would love a set of 4.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:49 am

I picked them up today after work! Got home ripped open the box, cardboard scattered all over the place hahahaha
Tuned them up, took off the protective plastic film on badges, rims etc, and had a good bash.
Here are some pics of the new additions to the growing family... I think I have a Conga sickness.. These hadnt arrived yet and Ive been negotiating with a seller interstate about a set of his vintage original line Meinl Woodcrafts with the steel bands around the shells circa late 70's/early 80's. :oops: :twisted: :roll: 8) :lol: :mrgreen:
Issues... speaking of issues, ordered another Conga and Tumba to have 4 of these Fibercrafts.

Few pics of the new beauties, then group shot of the family getting along nicely and getting to know each other! :lol:
Attachments
P1050820.JPG
P1050821.JPG
P1050822.JPG
P1050823.JPG
P1050824.JPG
P1050825.JPG
P1050826.JPG
P1050828.JPG
P1050830.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby torpedo tom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Nice drums, nice color, nice family. You're a lucky man.
torpedo tom

Postby Kaban » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Congrats! Can you please take a shot of them next to y
our Matadors?
Last edited by Kaban on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaban

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories