Remo Heads: where do you tape to Mod

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Remo Heads: where do you tape to Mod

Postby Kaban » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:31 am

Hey all,

I am trying out a Skyndeep head, but the ring really bugs me. I decided to Modify the head with tape, to calm that ring, but I realized I wasn't sure where you tape? Do you tape opposite from where you play, or do you tape in the middle?

Peace,
Kaban
Kaban

Re: Remo Heads: where do you tape to Mod

Postby torpedo tom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:03 am

Saw a video on You Tube about stopping a drum from ringing by suspending a rag on a string inside the drum . He tied a string from one side plate to the opposite and then tied the string, about 12" long, w/the rag on it to the cross string. Sounds crazy, but it seemed to work. TT
torpedo tom

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:26 pm

torpedo tom wrote:Saw a video on You Tube about stopping a drum from ringing by suspending a rag on a string inside the drum . He tied a string from one side plate to the opposite and then tied the string, about 12" long, w/the rag on it to the cross string. Sounds crazy, but it seemed to work. TT

That's basically the same concept that another forum member came up with a few years back but instead he set what looked to be a plastic rod inside and then inserted some foam inserts, the qty of the inserts was determined by the dampening ring tones. This seemed to give very good results in fact, I believe that he might have patented the technique.
As for the tape location, it does not matter. I had the same issue with a Remo drum and tapped the middle of the head, sound fine.
Cheers
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby Derbeno » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:38 am

Here is the Video in question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYQujazVBQQ

I stuck Duct tape from about 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock towards the top of the head, away form where I would play a base tone.

Coincidently I ordered some Moongel over the weekend, kit drummers swear by it. They are cheap and look less ugly and invasive than duct tape. I will let you know what effect they have on Nuskin Congas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeW0xof9 ... ure=relmfu
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Return to CongaSet and accessories