Sandy got me!

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Sandy got me!

Postby bengon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:11 am

Well, Sandy got my studio pretty bad. Gowanus Canal overflowed and my studio got filled with four feet of water. Congas, bata, timbales, lots of minor percussion got damaged. Pretty unbelievable. Does anybody have good tips for cleaning/restoring water-logged drums?
bengon

Re: Sandy got me!

Postby windhorse » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Ah crap!!! Sorry to hear your stuff is damaged. Wondered how many would be swimming. I'm sure some knowledgeable woodworker folk will pipe in here, but I'd say take everything apart, soak the metal in oil, and let the wood dry before tightening.
windhorse

Postby pcastag » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:39 pm

I would immediately remove the heads and hardware and let them dry, put new heads on the drums after they've dried out if the old ones get moldy.
Sorry to hear about it, fortunately drums are resilient, electronics not so much!
PC
pcastag

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:04 pm

The wood of the drums might warp pretty bad if they don't dry evenly. I remember seeing drums from Katrina all messed up.
bongosnotbombs

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Bengon,

Hope everything is well, needless to say you guys took a big blow from Sandy.
Here is something I found online that may help you with your drums since we
are talking about wood here. Take care and good luck.

Wood Furniture

Wood furniture may fare better, especially if it hasn't been sitting in water for too long. It is possible to restore solid wood furniture unless it has suffered severe damage.

It will need to be cleaned and dried at the very least. If it has been exposed to water for a long period, joints or veneers may have to be re-glued.

The first step is to clean and dry it so that you may be better able to assess the damage. Moisture in wood furniture can also encourage fungus and mold growth so drying it is crucial. Remove excess moisture by blotting or wiping wood furniture for furniture that is not submerged and was only lightly damaged.

White mildew spots may be cleaned with turpentine or a mixture of equal parts household ammonia and water. Wipe dry at once. Cream wood restorers with lanolin will help restore wood furniture. Lightly damaged veneers can be glued back on.

Heavily damaged wood furniture that was exposed to water for a longer time, expedite drying by removing all parts that are easy to take apart including back panels, drawers, and doors. Do not try to force them if they are sticking. You can take them apart later when the furniture has dried somewhat and the wood has begun shrinking back.

Hose off the mud and dirt and dry in a ventilated place away from the sun. Drying out in the sun may cause warping. Drying out time may run into several weeks or months. Only when the furniture is completely dry can you begin to repair and refinish
RitmoBoricua

Postby bengon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks guys- what do you recommend to clean drums?
bengon

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:26 pm

bengon wrote:Thanks guys- what do you recommend to clean drums?

Mineral spirits.
RitmoBoricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories