Rawhide on travel/compact conga?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Rawhide on travel/compact conga?

Postby tae » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:01 am

Hello,

Does anyone have experience putting a rawhide on a Pearl travel conga or LP compact conga? The synthetic head has overtones I don't like, but I'm not sure if it's a bad idea due to its non-standard mounting scheme.

cheers,
Tae
tae

Re: Rawhide on travel/compact conga?

Postby Derbeno » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:47 am

Have you tried some duct tape on the botom side and see if that helps?
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby willfry » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:47 am

Also hoping someone else has tried this. I tried a pearl pre mounted head but that didn’t fit. Looks like i’m Going to have to get a flesh hoop made and also buy some longer bolts to get the skin on there.
willfry

Postby drbongo42 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:30 am

I am planning to give this a try over Christmas - I am planning to swap the three Remo heads that came with the travel congas with three rawhide heads from three Tycoon drums - to see how they sound. Will report back my findings...
drbongo42

Postby willfry » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:08 am

I tried it on a Pearl travel conga.
I went thinner than I usually would just in case but the drum can take a thicker head tuned to a C. I wouldn’t risk cranking it to quinto levels though.
It still hasl a bit of a ring but I’m intending to re skin travel Conga and Tumba with thicker heads soon when I get time.

Interested to know if it would work on a compact Conga as they’re easier to carry.
willfry

Postby drbongo42 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:57 pm

I did get round to this but forgot to post back. The travel congas sound a lot better with rawhide heads on than the original synthetic heads - they have more depth and a purer tone - the synthetic heads work fine on my full size congas. The 12.5 Tumba is the hardest travel conga to tune as it has a large diameter in relation to the depth - I would actually recommend buying two congas and the quinto size rather than the Tumba model. I tune them to G3 Tumba, Bb3 Conga and C4 Quinto - if you tune the Tumba any lower it just sounds very flat and lifeless. These drums are ok for practising at home on the sofa and would be fine for a low volume acoustic gig - but if anyone is using amplifiers you will definitely need mic'ing up through the PA...
drbongo42

Return to CongaSet and accessories