Just Ordered Skin on Skin Drums.....

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Just Ordered Skin on Skin Drums.....

Postby El Puto » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:52 pm

I didn't know where else to post this where anyone would appreciate it but, I just placed my order for 3 Skin on Skin drums and the waiting has begun......
I went with a 12", 13" and 14" . Jay and Josh have been great. It really is a pleasure doing business with them. Does anyone have experience with their larger size drums, 13" and above?
El Puto

Re: Just Ordered Skin on Skin Drums.....

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Congratulations on your order. I can tell you that it's going feel like a long time waiting but it will be worth every minute once you see them.
I’m surprised that you went with a 14" drum, not to common. When I first spoke to Jay he strongly recommended 11", 12" and 13", I took his advice and am very glad I did, great combination.
That 14" is no doubt going to give you some awesome serious bass, by the way, what wood did you chose?
Here is a picture of mine.
I love them and am sure you will as well. You should ask him to take a couple of pictures for you while they are being made.

Don't know if youve seen this yet but chek out this tread regarding S.O.S's
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4129

Again congratulations.
Cheers.
K.C.

P.S.
Be sure to click on the pictures for a better resolution.
Attachments
l_b3b6b1d49e40430ca5b6eeba0602e7d2[1].jpg
before the Installation of the Alma and skin.
Juans sos.jpg
As received.
KING CONGA

Postby El Puto » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 pm

I ordered the Oak/ Chrome combo for the projection and look. The 14" for me is a necessity. My hands measure 10" from wrist to middle finger and with the slight variation in size from the stated diameter, I need the room. I figure a 12" might end up 11 1/2" to 11 3/4" so I am just being safe. Thank you for the pictures. I read the SOS link from cover to cover a few time before I placed my order. I appreciate all of the information posted. It was a great influence on my decision.
El Puto

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Nice... good choice!

I have 11,12,13,14" SOS right now and have another 12 and 13" on order. The first set is all oak with chrome, the last 2 are cherry and ash with black anodized hardware to mix it up a bit. Talked to Jay a week or so ago, they'll probably be ready in month or so.

I agree, Jay and Josh are great guys to deal with. They almost always answer the phone and Jay usually has a funny story to share. All of the drums I've recieved have been very well constructed and they sound great!

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Olsongo likes the big drums.
bongosnotbombs

Postby El Puto » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:45 pm

@rhythmrhyme,

Do you have pictures of your drums, just for a reference, that you can send me? What are the weights like. Also, what are the standard heights for Jay's drums?
El Puto

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:24 am

Here's a link to the SOS thread where I posted some pics: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4129&start=210

the drums are 30" tall and fit in with my LP's without issue. My hands are definitely smaller than yours and I find the 11" too small, for me the 12 is just right, but it probably will feel like a quinto to you. I ended up switching out the "medium" weight Bill Conifer (I think that's where Jay sources his heads) that was on the 12" and put a thicker mule on it. As the conga only has 5 lugs I was initially a bit nervous about putting the thicker head on, but Josh reassured me it would be fine and he was right. It's actually a bit higher than the medium (which pulled down quickly because I'm always on the tuning of that drum) and with it mounted a bit higher I find there's less stress on the lugs and it actually seems to tune easier with the thicker head.

Happy waiting - you won't be disappointed!

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby CongaTick » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:08 pm

10"??? OMG, those are some massive paws, dude.
CongaTick

Postby El Puto » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Yeah, big hands can be a blessing or a curse when you are trying to find the right sized drum. I am at ease having heard everyone's experiences with the big SOS drum. I was told by Josh that the wait time is around 6 months. That about right in line with everyones delivery time?
El Puto

Postby kdarshan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Good call on the SOS Drums. I've had my set for a few years and love them. Here's a pic of my set. 9" Ash Requinto (25" tall), 10" Oak Qunito, 11" Oak Conga, 12" Oak Tumba and 13" Oak Super Tumba.
Attachments
Skin on Skin and Valje.jpg
kdarshan

Return to CongaSet and accessories