Vintage congas ID...new heads

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Vintage congas ID...new heads

Postby mikepipe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 am

Hello everybody, new member here from Finland.My english is not so good, but hope U'll got the point.
Few questions, maybe somebody can give some info.
1)bougth "Amat", made in Italy solid wood, ligth+ brown coloured) set of congas 10"+11" perhaps something from 70's, stands/"legs,3" integrated on body
any idea of these , quality etc
2) drum head is tradional skin, but the tightening system is somethin that never seen before.U can addjust head with hexkey upwards,
(just opposite way than usually), removable steel ring tightens skin.
Can I use any other drumheadtype than traditional skin(like remo, evans made etc)? If, whatkinda measurements do I have to take ?
Seems that originalheads are quite thin stuff compared to trad.skin available (like LP hand picked skin sheets)
I'll try to put some pics of these.
Mike
mikepipe

Re: Vintage congas ID...new heads

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Greeting mikepipe and welcome to the site.
Your best bet would be to remove the current head, take the crown in to a local music store, one that might have pre-mounted heads for sale and try them out, as for changing to another skin, I would not think that it would be any different than a traditional model.
Please give us an update on any progress and if possible, take a few pictures for us.
Good luck.
K.C.
KING CONGA

Return to CongaSet and accessories