Synthetic heads on mopercs

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Synthetic heads on mopercs

Postby pcastag » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Has anybody ever done this? I usually only do a few conga gigs a month, or sometimes a happy hour run with an acoustic job for a few months at a time, but just picked up a brunch with a very loud keyboard and guitar player, no mikes for me. The skins sound great but I'm working too hard, wondering if anybody knows what size LP heads would fit an 11.75 and 12.5. I'll probably just get a couple crimplock symetry heads and bring the hoops to the local store to se if they fit, I think the symetry heads are designed to form fit the bearing edge, just wondering if anybody has ever done this to save hassle, time and $$$.
Thanks!
PC
PC
pcastag

Re: Synthetic heads on mopercs

Postby Derbeno » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:49 am

Do you have a set of regular mass production tubs you can gig with, like Classics, or Meinl, Pearl equivalent? (Or indeed a fiberglass equivalent for the volume.)

Mopercs with original or good animal skin sounds so good in a Rumba setting or even to practice with. Your choice, but I use regular vintage Matadors with Nuskyns for gigs and keep my Mopercs for these other occasions.

If you must...Sacrelegio! LOL, Just kidding....but I am sure the right size Nuskyns or Fiberskyns will fit. Order from your local Guitarcenter so you can return with money back if you have fitting problems.

Goodluck
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby pcastag » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 am

No, my other set is a pair of sonocs I had matt smith refurbish! I can still keep the skin heads, I just don't want to have to kill my hands everytime I play.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Greetings pcasttag. I had the same problem at one time and as much as I love my SOS I was tearing up my hands by trying to make them sound louder. I also had no mics. and that just made it worst, fortunately for me, at that time I still owned my REMO Poncho Sanchez series congas which were nice and loud and so I started to take them to these types of gigs.
I recently saw a set of SOS with REMO Fiberskin 3's. at first I thought it was somewhat of sacrilegious but as I thought about it, it just made more sense.
I would not do this but I can see it work for others.
I would do just as you’ve described, take the crowns in and check for the proper fit.
Good luck.
K.C
KING CONGA

Postby Derbeno » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:42 am

Good point re your hands Pcasttag. My gig Matadors had mule on them, I changed to Nuskyns two months ago because of the crazy swing in temperature in SanDiego from afternoon to dusk. Even the guitar players has to wipe the dew of his strings.

First thing I did indeed notice was that I played three 1 hours sets with no problems with my hands, during or the next day.

I need to mention that the Tumba was ringy like hell. I had to use a cross-section of duct tape underneath to counter. Let us know how you get on.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:05 am

Have any of you ever played maple mopercs?

A friend of mine has a set and in exchange for helping him head them they got to live at my house for a few months. The projection on them was amazing... very loud. We went with a thicker head to bring them down a bit, and to address some pesky overtones that often accompany loud congas.

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby pcastag » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:51 am

My conga ( 11.75) is maple. It's got a very nice skin on it and sounds perfect.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:36 am

I would describe my buddies Moperc's as close to perfect sounding after putting the mules on them. Still have very good projection, much better slaps than with the old spongy skins we replaced and the overtones apparent were greatly reduced. Honestly, I found them "ear plug" loud, and my ears would ring after playing them without protection. It's a shame they're still not loud enough if you describe them as perfect now - lovely drums!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby pcastag » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Just not loud enought to compete against amplifiers with no mikes.
PC
PC
pcastag

Return to CongaSet and accessories