beginner: one conga or two

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: beginner: one conga or two

Postby jp-90 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 pm

I know I know. I've been playing plenty, and like I said, I know that's not holding me back right now, just curious.

Another newbie question: With this drum head, I've read in some places that I should detune after playing to keep it from stretching too much. What's the consensus on this? Detune it slightly? To the point that it's loose?

THANKS
jp-90

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:50 pm

there is no consensus on detuning.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=detune
bongosnotbombs

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Nice score for a first drum! I like the retro gold sparkle, now all you need is some bell bottom pants and you'll be groovin'. Perhaps learn some 70's funk rhythms as a start point 8) , you know, so you're in charcter.

I'm with BnB about just getting going with the drum. Personally I wouldn't touch that bearing edge without the proper tools (such as a professional router table etc). Even then, the effort you put into adjusting the bearing edge will probably not make any noticeable change to the sound or playing experience of the drum.

All joking aside, I like the drum!

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Seneferu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:15 pm

I had always played one drum except in a band. Traditionally in a Cuban or African folkloric ensemble it's one drum, because the drummers play in ensemble with the bell or clave being the most important instrument. I could into how we went from ensemble playing to one guy playing a drumkit(Congo Square anyone?), but that is another story. peace
Seneferu
Seneferu

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories