Matadors: fiberglass or wood?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Matadors: fiberglass or wood?

Postby dakest » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:37 pm

I had spent hours searching this but had no definite results, I am getting rid of my Calientes and getting a set of Matadors and need inputs on the fiberglass ones.
I know the wooden ones sound great, played them before....

Thanks in advance guys.
dakest

Re: Matadors: fiberglass or wood?

Postby Kaban » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:55 am

I love the Matador fiberglass, but I also favor the Patato over the Classic. It all depends on your preference of sound. If I was you I would order the fiberglass, via Guitar Center, if you like it better than the wood sound, keep it, if not, send it back.
Kaban

Postby CongaTick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Dakest,

I had, and played quite happily with a set of Sam Ass wood Ardiente's with mule. Loved them. Good utility drums. But needed a bit more "cut-through" when playing with amplified groups I am often booked with. Upgraded to Matadors Fiberglass with Fyberskyn Skyndeep heads and love the volume and sharpness. Yep, they do carry a bit of a ring (dampened sufficiently with underside tape on heads) but they are durable, workhorses that deliver everything I need in a conga drum. If I were to be in demand for mostly acoustic sets, I would switch back over to the buffalo skins that came with them which produce a perfectly fine warmer sound with these Matadors when stroked properly. (Proper stroking has been my mission throughout life.)
CongaTick

Postby Kaban » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:19 am

"(Proper stroking has been my mission throughout life.)" -Congatick

Heer Heer... :D
Kaban

Postby dakest » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks guys, are'nt the ardientes the same as aspires for Sam ash? seems to me that Calientes, Ardientes use the same shell as the Aspires, I have a set of Calientes and the shell looks the same as Aspires, they sound good though.
I am in a quest to get some Matadors at a good price, I have a the shell of a 11 3/4 Matador in wood but the hardware is in bad shape, the cost of getting it in nice condition may be too high.
dakest

Postby CongaTick » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Dakest.

Negative on the Ardientes being same as Aspires. They are a much better instrument. Though made out of Siam "oak" like most off-the-shelfs, but not anywhere in the same basement as Aspires. Matter of fact, my Ardientes with mules sounded every bit as good as Matadors. I just decided to own a "name" for a change and the reputation of reliability of Matadors as all around gig drums played professionally as well as for fun made the choice easy. Ardiente's are solid utilitarian tubs.
CongaTick

Postby VJBaros » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 pm

I have Performers Series from Guitar Center, good drums to kick around.
Attachments
IMAG0261.jpg
IMAG0284.jpg
IMAG0287.jpg
VJBaros

Return to CongaSet and accessories