Spirit in the Wood Drums

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Spirit in the Wood Drums

Postby s'chopp » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:53 pm

Here are a few of Conrad Kubiak's creations.

Attachments
sitwhmahog.JPG
Honduran Mahogany Congas
aa.jpg
bb.jpg
Maple Conga
cc.jpg
dd.jpg
Ice Djembe!
s'chopp

Re: Spirit in the Wood Drums

Postby Mr.Rumba » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:34 pm

Very nice post with some great photos. Those are my figured ash drums near the bottom :)
Here is long time Euro percussionist Margo with a set of Spirit In The Wood congas.
Also, this is a link for the video about Conrad (the owner/builder) going to Belize and bringing back a 200 year old river log to make drums out of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_xPXdjP-1U
The music is hokey but great vid!
Attachments
IMG_6808.JPG
Last edited by Mr.Rumba on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Rumba

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 pm

Those 3 batas in the standing position look very intriguing to me as do the Bongos in the first picture. Wonder how they sound?
Thebreeze

Postby s'chopp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:38 am

Thanks Mr.Rumba, your set looks perfect and I noticed this video where you used better mics-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koF4PP8- ... ure=relmfu

they sound balanced, lovely full open tones with crispy slaps. Impressive drums, I wonder if it's the solid shell drum construction or the wood choice or a combination that makes them slightly higher in pitch.?

More photos on the way.
s'chopp

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:03 am

I have been doing a lot of casual testing with a variety of other drums including vintage Sol, Matthew Smith, all kinds of LP's from all different era's and even Fat Congas as well. They are all on my youtube channel in comparison videos. I can post the links here if people want to see them. Conrad (the builder) say's (something to the effect of) that when you use staves in construction the individual staves each have a different tonal resonance and character, and when you add on uneven surfaces to the equation as well as glue lines, the sound frequencies are bouncing all around the place. When it is one solid piece of wood the tonal resonance is more balanced. I am not a scientist or math guy and I do not know for sure if all that is true or not (it can be argued either way I am sure!) but the bottom line at the end of the day is that they sure sound great to me. I love the combination of fat tone, crispy slap and bass notes even in the requinto! I also own Matthew Smith, LP's, Skin On Skin, Fat, Gon Bops and play with my friend with the full set of Sols.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuovWghlwZo
Mr.Rumba

Return to CongaSet and accessories