LP Armando P. Valje series Cherry Wood Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

LP Armando P. Valje series Cherry Wood Congas

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 am

What are peoples opinions on the LP Armando Valje series drums? Does anyone know the history? I know it was Mr. FLores in 60's, then Akbar made them, there was a fire then L.P. somehow took over. Who made them at L.P., and how were they changed for the better/worse? I have seen some for sale and they look quite nice!
Attachments
5L85K75Jf3K13G73L7c8df25a68ed9beb1245.jpg
Mr.Rumba

History of Valje

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:27 pm

I found this on the Vintage Drum Forun and thought it might be interesting to other readers:
Not sure who originally wrote it, it was posted by Brian:
brian

From the time Tom Flores started to build his dums in the 1950's until today, there have been many faces to and behind the the name. What we call Val Jay (Valje), is actually pronounced Val Jee. The name is said to come from Valerie and Jean, not sure if tis was Toms wife and daughter or what. Tom worked out of two locations in Los Angeles, 3312 Sunset Blvd. and 3314 Sunset Blvd.; moving one whole address away Any drums with the 3314 address are the first that were made.
His innovation of air drying his staves and scoring the interiors of the staves to prevent cracking and allow flexibility during construction was ahead of the pack, but his drums did not take on a huge following until being used by Santana and other Latin rock and rock bands. At one point he and Mariano of Gon Bops were in business together to try and corner the market, but like many partnerships, it ended due to personal philosophy.
By the late 70's Tom was getting tired of the business and the competition by mega mass drum producers. In the early 80's he sold the name and shop to Haight Ashbury Music of San Francisco who was a large retailer of his drums. Akbar Moghaddam, then working as a drum repairman, asked his friend who owned Haight Ashbury Music, Massoud Badakhshan, if he could go to L A to learn how to make the drums from Tom; he was turned down and four others were sent. After about three months Akbar was called back to go to work with Tom because the others failed; maybe partially due to Toms tough temperment. I am not sure, but i think Octavio Ruiz was working with Tom at the time. In any event, Tom taught Akbar how to make the Valje drums. Within a year the operation was moved to San Francisco where the second generation of Valje was created by Akbar with the help of Octavio who moved north to continue the tradition. The only difference in the second generation was that the height was cut down from 31" to 30" and a decal was put on the drum with Valje of San francisco on it (one could still order the taller model but it would require an additional cost). The drums hadware was the same, still made of red oak and the scoring of the staves remained. This operation was only in existance for about two years before there was a fire that destroyed the shop and about 50 shells, thus making these drums the rarest of all hand crafted valje's. The fire was started when a fireworks company exploded on a bright sunny afternoon about 5:00 PM across the street. Akbar heard the explosion and ducked just as the heavy metal door to the shop blew open and across into his machinery. He exited and began to knock on doors and assist others in shops all around the industrial area who were injured and bleeding. He was very lucky, and we are as well, since he is still making drums for all who have them. I know first hand of the devistation of this massive fire, because this conguero was a bombero who fought that fire as a member of the SFFD. I and others pulled 8 corpses out of the mess. Well the story goes faster now. Akbar went on to open his own shop, Sol Percussion, making fantastic drums here in S F., and is now at DW, as you all know, overseeing the whole conga production from the highly demanded California series to production and quality control of the other lines made out of the country. The next generation of Valje was a drum made in Thailand from Thai oak. The first models had no LP markings (LP purchased the rights to the name and drum from Haight Ashbury Music), the hardware stayed the same other than a small Valje was inscribed on the side plates, handle and tuning rods; of course the sizes became standard and fewer and the interior scoring was eliminated. The next generation was the Armando Perazza Cherry wood series; which is a beautiful drum. It also had standard sizes but the hardware was a bit larger and mounted by three bolts instead of two - plastic/rubber trays were designed and mounted to the bottoms of the drums. There is more to the story and please feel free to add what you know, as i will add more as i learn more.
Tom Flores went on to design and build the Resolution Drums with his son Ralph. Tom died a few years back and his son continues on with the drums and repair of old L A Valje's, 31".
The Valje drums vary in size from 9.5 to 14. There can be many sizes in between since they were handcrafted by a real craftsman and artist; he had no training in precision, but was quite presice anyway. The Valje drums are known to keep their shape and rarely crack if taken care of; but we all now wood will be wood - so thanks to Ralph and his love of repairing these drums. Tom often had extra wood around which he used to complete a drum. This often resulted in the smaller bellied drums with small head sizes. He did not make a requinto, but these small drums would be the ones that look like a requinto.
Mr.Rumba

Re: LP Armando P. Valje series Cherry Wood Congas

Postby Psych1 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Looks like you found the answer to your question. The LP/AP cherry series are very nice. There weren't a lot of them made but the price for them didn't take off so you can still find them at a very good price.

There is more to the story and it is still going on. LP developed a different Armando line of fiberglass congas & bongos, dropped the cherrywood series and came out with a LP-Valje series of bongos in beechwood. Then, somehow???, LP gave or sold back the Valje name to Ralph Flores and stopped making Valjes. The LP "Dandy" bongo is essentially the LP-Valje bongo in beechwood with Valje style hardware, but with a 9 inch hembra. LP still sells "Valje-style" crowns, bottom rings, and lugs. Ralph is making Valjes again.
Psych1

Postby pcastag » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:36 pm

They made a few Armando beechwood congas too. Never heard them, I did play on some of the cherry drums though, nice sound.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:43 pm

My next question is this. Are the Cherry wood Valje's a laminate/veneer (decorative topping) or solid? My guess is that they are a laminate and the base wood is actually the Siam Oak (which is actually rubber tree). Does anyone know for sure? I have a shout out to Akbar. It is after his time there but he probably knows.
Mr.Rumba

Postby Jerry Bembe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:41 pm

The Cherrywood is solid Cherry. They are solid construction and in my opinion one of the best LP congas ever built. The bass tone of these fat bellies are deeper in tone compared with most other congas. The stock heads were calf and better than the standard LP Water Buffalo heads.

I would buy a tumba if it was available.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 am

I just heard back from Akbar, (who was making Valje prior to L.P. takeover) who I wrote to earlier. He did confirm that the Cherry wood Valjes were indeed a 2 ply laminate unfortunately. The base wood is from an unknown origin, possibly China.
Mr.Rumba

Postby pcastag » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:10 am

Hmmm, not sure about that, I know pretty much all LP drums are two plys now , but I would assume they would be the same wood, like the giovannis are two plys ash.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Psych1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Akbar is the man - he should know. But I also doubt what he said about the AP congas. I've seen them and they sure look like the same wood on the inside as on the outside and seem to be solid staves.
Psych1

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:04 pm

I am going to call and ask Ralph FLores. Although he was not involved at all he may also know. Or perhaps Martin Cohen.
Mr.Rumba

Postby pcastag » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Psych1 wrote:Akbar is the man - he should know. But I also doubt what he said about the AP congas. I've seen them and they sure look like the same wood on the inside as on the outside and seem to be solid staves.

Yeah, he never worked for LP.
PC
pcastag

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:38 am

I've played on that type of cherry wood drums..MAN! THEY ARE REALLY NICE and sound great!...
JohnnyConga

Postby Jerry Bembe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Mr.Rumba wrote:I just heard back from Akbar, (who was making Valje prior to L.P. takeover) who I wrote to earlier. He did confirm that the Cherry wood Valjes were indeed a 2 ply laminate unfortunately. The base wood is from an unknown origin, possibly China.

I think the wood on the interior matches the exterior but I could be wrong. Regardless, these are among the best mass production congas that I have heard.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Bongobilly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:31 am

What do you think about the bongo's made out of cherrywood? The Vajee L.P one's.
It's Mofongo Time!
Bongobilly

Return to CongaSet and accessories