Matthew Smith Congas: Walnut or Mahogany?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Matthew Smith Congas: Walnut or Mahogany?

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 am

So, a question to all of our knowledgable friends and experts here, what is the preferred wood for matthew smith drums Mahogany or Walnut?
Which way would you go and why? Anyone have these drums and want to comment? Thanks for your help!
Mr.Rumba

Re: Matthew Smith Congas: Walnut or Mahogany?

Postby pcastag » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:52 pm

I've owned a set of oak, one african mahogany and one honduran mahogany. Honduran mahogany without a doubt, best sound of all the three woods I played made by Matt Smith.
PC
pcastag

Postby Craig » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:24 am

I asked Matt that same question back in February 2008. In an email he replied: "It's not so cut and dry. Given the fact that no two pieces of wood, cut from the same tree, or even the very same board, sound exactly alike it's impossible to say what is best. . . . To me the quartered oak and mahogany are your best bet for congas and both will sound better as they age. I'm kind of splitting hairs, walnut sounds great and it is possible for a random walnut drum to sound better than everything else, but that is not the norm in my experience."

I chose black walnut, and I am very pleased with the sound of the drums.

Craig
Craig

Postby Congarranza » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:57 am

And the question has been asked! Instant satisfaction vs eternal satisfaction...
In the context of a hand made master artisan drum: it's a win-win situation!
Congarranza

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:42 am

Thanks for all of the answers. Much appreciated. Very insightful! I possibly have a chance to get some used M.S. walnut so that is why I asked. I have had conga drums made from mahogany before, (Gon Bops) and djembes as well but never anything from walnut.
Mr.Rumba

Postby pcastag » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:24 pm

the gon bops mahogany (luan) is NOT the same as the afican or honduran mohogany that Matt uses, his woods are much more dense. Any way you go you really can't miss with a Matt Smith drum.
PC
pcastag

Postby Mr.Rumba » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 am

Here they are in Walnut!
Attachments
IMG_5373.JPG
walnut Matthew Smith
Mr.Rumba

Postby s'chopp » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:39 pm

Tasty.. And the sound :?:
s'chopp

Postby Mr.Rumba » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:31 pm

They really do sound amazing. I am surprised how great they sound. I read about it but did not believe it 100% I have a conga and tumba and I am waiting for the possible purchase of the quinto. Very warm with very interesting over tones. Not ring but more of an "extra" sound quality that is hard to describe. I am surprised by how light they are as well. I thought they would be much heavier. I am used to Skin On Skins which seem like a similar build and build quality but are much heavier,made in 1985 and oak wood..
I thought they would be more similar to the SOS but they are very different. I know the skins on the drums have a lot to do with it as well. I also have Spirit In The Wood solid shell conga drums (also very tonal but ""crisper" in the high end), old classic LP wood congas (great tone and very sharp slap on the quinto, (great for bands) and LP shorty fiberglass congas I got in the 70's. Both of the LP's are much brighter. I am vey happy with them all!
Attachments
group side.jpg
IMG_5364.JPG
Mr.Rumba

Return to CongaSet and accessories