TIMBAS ISMAEL CONGAS

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: TIMBAS ISMAEL CONGAS

Postby Omelenko1 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Barrie,

The skins need to go, at least the macho, the hembra maybe if I put some Corojo, I'll try it. These drums are real beefy, I love their fat bellies. I 've been fortunate, eventhough I'm not Puerto Rican, that 4 sets of congas and 5 pairs of Ismael bongos have come my way. This set is by far the juciest!

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Here is a recently refinished set..
Attachments
526279_4354794558844_977124785_n.jpg
refinished set, looking nice!
Mr.Rumba

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Cuco sent me that photo. They look to be from his nephew R & R, but Cuco claims they are from the old man.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby bobzline » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:40 pm

I just registered into this forum, because I've had something bothering me for days and I want to state something for the record. Some people(historians, collectors, and family members of the great Ismael) would want history to be right.
I am Roberto, the same Roberto that contracted one of the best artisans of our time in the creation of these timbas, in 1974. I am simply thrilled to read your comments and opinions of these timbas and the man behind them.
95% of the story behind the timbas is factually correct. Except for an artist burning the palm trees. This is an Ismael creation!!!
And why is it such a big thing with me? Well, After six months of waiting and following up a dozen times to Ismael place, I got that call I had been waiting for. You can come and pick up your timbas. When I was presented with my new beautiful timbas, one said Roberto and the other Ramon. But cool as a cucumber, Ismael said. No te preocupe mi pana, yo te la quemo y tela reglo'. So he burned a larger portrait of a country side over Ramon,and wrote Roberto in.
These timbas can be sanded down and made to look like new, but for those of you purist, before the name goes away, history has been updated. In my opinion, the "Timbas by Ismael" should stay like this forever.
To all of you who read this, know that this was a blessing to have made contact with such a great man.
bobzline

Postby Omelenko1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:10 am

Thank you Roberto for your information, so it was Isamel himself who burned the palm trees and your name. I'm almost done refinishing them. I reglued some of the staves, gave them a light sanding (leaving the art work and your name intact) and gave them 3 coats of polyuritane. I also rechrome the crowns. All I need to do is put new heads on them. Will post updated photos soon. Gracias por la infomacion.
Omelenko1

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Here are a couple of updated photos. Rechome the heads, cleaned the hardware, glued some staves that had slight separation, light sanded them not distrubing the original artwork by Ismael and gave them each 3 coats of polyuritane. Estas timbas suenan con cojones!

Saludos.
Attachments
MVC-882S.JPG
MVC-883S.JPG
Omelenko1

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories