Isla percussion nightmare

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Isla percussion nightmare

Postby Mr. Conga » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:59 am

"i wonder what the reason or excuse is for stating that the location is Miami because he is in Belize"

When items are on Isla's eBay is because sometimes the item is all ready in the USA.
*It saves the buyer the shipping cost they would pay from Belize which is about $200 just on shipping from Belize the drums are kinda heavy.

Mario has some friends in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and some in Florida, they do him the favor of sending the drums from where the drums are.

I bought 5 drums from them before, and i got the items right away because they were in the USA.

*The cool thing about buying from his ebay that there is no fabrication waiting period.

I hope and i know our conga member friend will get his drum and will like the awasome sound.
Last edited by Mr. Conga on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Conga

Postby Mr. Conga » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:07 am

Mario is not in Belize right now. Please be patient brother's if you have a pending order to be deliver right now.

The news is that Mario is very occupied traveling because he is doing a few Salsa performances.
He is in Mexico right now.
Mr. Conga

Postby Mr. Conga » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:12 am

Mario is not in Belize right now. Please be patient brother's if you have a pending order to be deliver right now.

The news is that Mario is very occupied traveling because he is doing a few Salsa performances.
He is in Mexico right now.

http://www.internationalcostamayafestiv ... ival-2012/
Last edited by Mr. Conga on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Conga

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:40 pm

That's good news Mr. Conga.

Next time you chat with the reputable Mr. Puchard, please ask him how is making out with the replacement drums he promised his customer who "lives on an island somewhere in Canada", I.e the capital city of British Columbia 8) It's only been a few years now, I'm sure it's front of mind for him and something he's working towards every day :lol: Yup, super trustworthy and reputable guy, who never did anyone a bad turn... How anyone could buy something from this guy knowing how he's treated others is completely beyond my comprehension.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby vinnieL » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Mario could use a business lesson I think.
vinnieL

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:51 pm

I would buy a drum from Mario. I am not in the market to buy an Isla drum or any other drum at this time unless the King Conga 12 1/2" Tumba I am searching for comes my way. But as far as Isla drums go, I would buy one from Mario and would not have any problem doing it. Sorry someone elses purchase in Canada had problems, maybe it will get resolved one day but that would not stop me from buying one.
Thebreeze

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Thebreeze wrote:I would buy a drum from Mario. I am not in the market to buy an Isla drum or any other drum at this time unless the King Conga 12 1/2" Tumba I am searching for comes my way. But as far as Isla drums go, I would buy one from Mario and would not have any problem doing it. Sorry someone elses purchase in Canada had problems, maybe it will get resolved one day but that would not stop me from buying one.

A point of view that sadly points to a larger social issue. So long as "my" deal is good, it doesn't matter what happens to someone else. I don't do business with people who treat others poorly, but clearly not everyone shares my values. And so it is...

I'm not the only customer who has been ripped off by Mario, there are lots of us and there will continue to be more in the future. I probably spent more money on it than many so I'm more inclined to follow up where possible. BUYER BEWARE!!!
rhythmrhyme

Postby Thebreeze » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:33 am

rhythmrhyme wrote this....

A point of view that sadly points to a larger social issue. So long as "my" deal is good, it doesn't matter what happens to someone else. I don't do business with people who treat others poorly, but clearly not everyone shares my values. And so it is...

You don't even know me!! How can you say what you just did about me as if you know me?? Ok, you know someone that had a bad business deal with Isla. So you expect everyone else not to do business with Isla??? Are you kidding? I hope you are kidding. I can see your point and it should have been rephrased to say..." I don't do business with people who treat my friends poorly". I have no clue who your friend up there in Canada is and what all the details of his problems he had with Isla are, but why should I not buy from Isla just because of your friend's problems??????? Sorry man, but again I say...You don't even know me. I tell you what .......let's say I tell you I was treated poorly by Matt Smith on a drum deal and you are about to place an order from him. I guess I should expect you not to do business with him right???? I don't think so. Do me a favor....Next time you want to tell people what kind of a person I am, unless you know me, DONT!!!!!
Thebreeze

Postby vinnieL » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:41 am

the problem is that He is not the only customer thats been done wrong. There are more I know of another besides myself who has had negative experiences with him. But hey to each his own if you are comfortable with buying from him than so be it. Just know tht not everyone is willig to be as public with their issues.
vinnieL

Postby pcastag » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:09 am

Good to know someone who would buy from him.....but isnt :shock: , I mean really what is the point of that? Let us know when you do buy something from him and how it goes. I've seen too much shoddy work and issues to want to deal with that kind of artisan. Matt's slow, but I've never seen anything but top quality come out of his shop, or jays for that matter.
PC
pcastag

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:00 am

Thebreeze wrote:rhythmrhyme wrote this....

You don't even know me!! How can you say what you just did about me as if you know me?? Ok, you know someone that had a bad business deal with Isla. So you expect everyone else not to do business with Isla??? Are you kidding? I hope you are kidding. I can see your point and it should have been rephrased to say..." I don't do business with people who treat my friends poorly". I have no clue who your friend up there in Canada is and what all the details of his problems he had with Isla are, but why should I not buy from Isla just because of your friend's problems??????? Sorry man, but again I say...You don't even know me. I tell you what .......let's say I tell you I was treated poorly by Matt Smith on a drum deal and you are about to place an order from him. I guess I should expect you not to do business with him right???? I don't think so. Do me a favor....Next time you want to tell people what kind of a person I am, unless you know me, DONT!!!!!

One love brother - I'm not here to piss you off, I was just making an observation. One that your rant actually supports more than it refutes.

And so you're aware, no I wouldn't purchase something from Matt at this juncture. I know he's had a long history of making excellent instruments, and that he's a brilliant artist, but I have seen some posts here from his customers that are concerning. If he makes good on some of his outstanding repairs and orders and I am lucky enough to learn this, then I'd consider it. In the meantime ordering from him just adds to his workload and reduces the likelihood that people with outstanding work due from him won't receive it. I prefer to stand in solidarity with those who are treated unfairly - these are my values, but I agree, they don't need to be yours. Also, it's not a friend of mine in Canada - it's me!

Mr. Conga wrote:
You may feel like it is a bit sketchie sending someone you dont see a personal payment/gift trough
paypal, because you feel like that person can just ignore you and never send you nothing.

Mario does ask for people to send the payment as personal because he is not making a lot of the drums and specially when he tries to offer a better deal through ebay. Because ebay and paypal take thei 9-10% off Marios payment if you dont send it as personal.

I went through this my self since i am unemployed i started selling stuff on ebay, and i sold something over $400 worth ebay and paypal would have taken a chunk of that but i asked the buyer to send it personal/gift and that way i was not deducted any money on my merchandise and neither did the buyer. The item i sold i sent it to Singapore, and the guy has never seen me. But his merchandise is on the way, going over seas and he trusted me, which i apreciate. Finally things are starting to pick up for me this year, after being unemploy for over a year.

If buyers would not send their payments as personal ebay the giant corporation that it became would take a big chunk of my money.

Mario uses eBay sort off like a window of advertisement, where the world can see what he's got to offer through the pictures, and then he ask for your HELP by asking you to pay through paypal pernoal/gift which is free for you and him it work in a way kinda like craiglist where you advertise for free. You can still leave feedback on eBay even if you sent payment as personal.

Mr. Conga, I have to ask if you see this – isn’t what you’re writing here in a public forum actually fraud? Is there not some punishable element to using ebay to advertise items that are for sale and then talking the buyer in to sending money as a gift rather than paying the transfer fee that is charged for using the platform to advertise on? Also, doesn't this expose the buyer to undue vulnerability by eliminating all of the buyer protection that is otherwise available through these products? I’m kina surprised you would actually post this. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here.
rhythmrhyme

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:56 am

rhythmrhyme wrote...

One love brother - I'm not here to piss you off, I was just making an observation. One that your rant actually supports more than it refutes.

Your observation was directed at me, and I will say this again..If you don't know me, don't make your so called observations towards me. And yes you did get me upset, and NO my so called "Rant" does not support more than if refutes, it is a result of you getting me angry to the point I had to write what I did. Again, you do not know me. You are sounding like the perfect moral person here on this forum. Well anyone can make themselves sound that way if they want to. As for me, I will tell what is on my mind without hiding anything behind a moral curtain. And if like you say the problem with Isla was with you and not a friend, then I can see why you won't do business with them anymore. I would not either. But I would not expect the rest of humanity not to just because of my issues. Not to get you mad, like you, I am just making an observation.
Thebreeze

Postby s'chopp » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:26 pm

><
Last edited by s'chopp on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s'chopp

Postby conganalu » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:32 pm

My apologies for not giving you all an update and I thank you for all your comments and inputs. Two days after I filed a claim with PayPal, I received an email from PayPal with a tracking number. I even received voicemails from Mario saying that everything is cool and he understand my feelings. He explained that he doesn't have internet connections 24-7 in Belize, and he can only check emails and voicemails when he is in the internet cafe. Still for me, I think that you should do your best to update your customer specially if that individual has already sent you the money. Oh, Before I forget.When I spoke to him when he first placed that ad on ebay, he told me that he is selling his surplus of drums and that he won't be making drums for sometime because he will be helping his wife.
The requinto finally arrived last Thursday, August 9 from Belize? This drum's location was advertised on ebay as being in Miami. Now I have to figure out in removing the excess oil coating the head. Again, thank you all for your comments, advices, and suggestions.
conganalu

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey conganalu....great to hear that all is well. It's good when both sides are presented. I hope you like your new drum. I got to play an Isla requinto at Brian's house one day ( congalero ). And I have to say that that Requinto was awesome. Hope your's is as nice too. I guess it's hard when you are in a situation like Mario is, and I know he probably could have done more to get in contact with you but at least there was never any bad intentions on his behalf, just his situation in Belize. Happy drumming. As far as the oil...I would just wipe it off as best with a nice clean cotton rag like an old t shirt or something like that.
Thebreeze

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories