Starting My New Patato Collection.....

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Starting My New Patato Collection.....

Postby SalseroBoricua71 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 am

Last edited by SalseroBoricua71 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SalseroBoricua71

Postby onile » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:06 am

Como esta Papa?

I actually just ordered the "tucked" heads yesterday, so I should get them by Sat. at the latest!
Ya' live and learn I guess! I know that you told me that the other ones weren't being produced any more, but these seemed to be ones that would work, but to my surprise....they didn't.

Cuidate mi hermano!

Stay well!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby SalseroBoricua71 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:11 am

Last edited by SalseroBoricua71 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SalseroBoricua71

Postby onile » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:59 pm

This 1st pic is the one I had ordered initially, thinking that they would fit, but to no avail.....

The 2nd pic is the one I just ordered, the "tucked" nuskyn, and it should arrive by Sat......I hope!

Sooooooo solly missa magoo! I'm such a retard, I intended to add the pics, but got distracted and, well.......
Attachments
d7338e1d0db23b394376583f1f0ab922_image_400x400.jpg
d16b2eb64cedb8123ea3dcf8f5c248dc_image_400x400.jpg
d16b2eb64cedb8123ea3dcf8f5c248dc_image_400x400.jpg (11.57 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
375221_286754568024987_273879369312507_912973_1179195532_n.jpg
Last edited by onile on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onile

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:21 pm

onile wrote:This 1st pic is the one I had ordered initially, thinking that they would fit, but to no avail.....

The 2nd pic is the one I just ordered, the "tucked" nuskyn, and it should arrive by Sat......I hope!

:shock: :shock: :?: :?:
KING CONGA

Postby tamboricua » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Mi gente,

Hope everything is well on your side!!! Below is a product chart that will make your life lot easier when ordering Conga heads from Remo.

http://www.remo.com/mini/crimplocksymme ... t_FULL.pdf

Saludos,

JG
tamboricua

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:56 pm

onile.......This is Will, AKA Thebreeze....AKA Ninjawhisperer..haha. I did not mean to pull a "Ninja Move" on my earlier post, but I was rather glad that you passed on my offer of the Patato Quinto so I pulled my statement so no one else would contact me about it.

But in all seriousness....I have also been contemplating putting some Remo Nuskyns on my Patato set so It would be a tremendous help if you can share what the Nuskyns sound like for you on your Patatos when you get them. It would not only be a help for me but for all the forum members that might be considering using synthetic heads for a change from time to time. I know that the benefits of little or no after tuning is a nice thing some congeros would consider too. And I have also heard that the Nuskyns are "warmer" compared to the fiberskins.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any inputs you can share.

Side note of interest.....If you go to the Remo website you can click on the various artists and at least 3 or 4 of them give you very good opinions from their experiences of the differences between the two types of heads.
Thebreeze

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:42 am

onile....any news on the Nuskyns?
Thebreeze

Postby onile » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Alafia Abure thebreeze!
I hope that you are well!

I actually received the "Nuskyn" heads, however only one of them (the conga 11.75") fits, the other one is too large. I'm really getting disappointed with this "pre-fit" mess regarding heads. I may just keep the damn water buffalo on the drums for once and for all. I sent the other ones back and they said that Remo would have to make my order, as they don't keep them, or have them in stock for LP.

What I'm hoping to do is get this all taken care of first, then post a video of them with how they sound, Nuskyn, and the other heads, apparently it's going to take a while till Remo gets their sh** together! Poof!
Attachments
533463_289214487819267_126894987384552_665558_2029466390_n.jpg
onile

Postby SalseroBoricua71 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Last edited by SalseroBoricua71 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SalseroBoricua71

Postby Thebreeze » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm

onile...I feel your frustrations my friend. Remo sure needs to get their act together. I think that what I am going to do is take my Patato Rims off my drums and take them to Guitar Center after I can confirm that they will have the nuskyn heads there and try them before I buy them. I know that feeling of waiting all that time, just to find out it does not fit!! Seems to me that Remo makes their heads to fit the Remo line of Congas first, and then tells you that they will fit other makers drums as well but I am seeing more and more of these issues of not fitting like they are supposed to pop up. Not long ago, I purchased a "Tycoon" brand sitting Conga stand of 11 3/4". I did this because after many frustrating attempts of emailing various retailers and Tycoon themselves I could NEVER get anyone to give me the actual inside diameter of the rim. I bought just one, the middle size to see how it fit on my drums. When I got it, the rim actually measured 11 3/4" inside diameter. This diameter was much too large for my Conga, and even for my Tumba. The Tumba was resting on the floor and not even touching the rim of the stand. Do not buy Tycoon sit down stands unless you want buy something that will be totally useless.

onile....I hope this turns out with a happy ending for you. All my best to you.

Will.
Thebreeze

Postby Thebreeze » Mon May 07, 2012 11:52 pm

onile....Thebreeze here. Hey, I was in communication with "pulse" for the last couple of weeks and I got one of his slightly used left over Remo Nuskyn (tucked ) model number..M7-1106-N6 for my Patato Quinto and it fit perfect, no issues at all. At this point I am thinking that the other two sizes M7-1175-N6 ( 11 13/4 Conga ) and M7-1250-N6 ( 12 1/2 Tumba ) should fit as well on my Patato Conga and Tumba. But I think I am going to wait and see how I like the Quinto. It is different for sure, a little slippery on the feel of it, and I think I have to experiment with the sound a little, ex...On floor with wood base, On sit down stand, or on stand up stand, etc..
It is definitely different from real hides and I am not sure which direction I will go in for now, but will play the quinto with the nuskyn and see if it grows on me. If it does, I will get the other two.

Take care.

Will.
Last edited by Thebreeze on Tue May 08, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thebreeze

Postby onile » Tue May 08, 2012 1:29 am

Alafia Brother Thebreeze!
I hope that you are well and abundantly blessed my brother!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the artifical/synthetic skin, I know the one that you are referencing. I recently went to a friends house and played his LP Classics, not fiberglass, but nonetheless the skins you mentioned. I agree with your analogy of the surface of them, real smooth to the touch. Rawhide has texture to it, as does the Remo D1 series to an extent, which allows the fingers to grasp/pinch the skin when necessary for technique. The smooth surface will take some time to get used to I'm sure, however there are the best of drummers out there that play their a$$e$ off on those heads.

I'm just a wuss, I'll keep it simple I guess with the buffalo heads on them. After playing them and getting all the sounds that I normally do on the other skins I have, I've come to appreciate them more.

Good luck to you my friend on your own quest in search of a great synthetic head to play on! I guess I just wanted something I could put on, play and not have to worry about the climactic changes.

Stay well brother Will!

Onile
Tony
Attachments
Simplicity-Demotivational-poster.jpg
onile

Postby Thebreeze » Tue May 08, 2012 3:36 am

One thing I am finding out is that the Quinto sounds really nice ( tone, slaps, pops,) when elevated on a stand up basket stand. When I put it on wood and play it sitting it does not come across as nice as when standing. I don't blame you onile for sticking with the real hides. I think that the synthetic skins are best suited for someone that does not want to have to keep tuning their drums, or someone playing lot's of gigs and does not want to have to take the time to tune as well? not sure, but I will keep experimenting.. but the bottom line to me is ....Nothing beats the real thing.
Thebreeze

Postby vinnieL » Tue May 08, 2012 5:51 am

Those heads can be a b$#ch to put on ive used them and they are hard to put on. While synthetic heads do not sound traditional they are a lot easier on the hands. No amount of technique can negate the fact that we are abusing our hands when we play. Synthetics are louder and slaps can be wicked however the sound is not the same and there is some ringing to them that we as players hear clearly but the audience never does.
vinnieL

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories