Starting My New Patato Collection.....

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Starting My New Patato Collection.....

Postby Thebreeze » Tue May 08, 2012 9:43 pm

vinnie..You are absolutley right about the ring. Even these Nuskyns which are supposed to be less ringy than fiberskyns have a ring to them.
Thebreeze

Postby pulse » Thu May 17, 2012 8:06 pm

I avoided the ring with Nuskyns by using a quinto and conga one size down from the commurical standard. 11" for conga and 10" for quinto. I continue to do this with hide skins. With hide you can I gather use a thicker skin on hardware that can withstand the tension to avoid ring, but with synthetic skin you don't have that choice.

Either way, as a player practicing in isloation I found the quality of the ring on Nuskyn heads disagreeable, but I think it is true the audience will be hard pressed to hear this. For one thing it is lost in the mix of a band, for another the audience is hearing the sound at a greater distance. Either a greater distance from the drum, or a greater distance from the PA.

I have only tried Nuskyn on congas, largely because I have had some Fiberskyn heads on other drums that had a horrible ring. But I have also had Fiberskyn heads that do not have that problem. I used to have a Paulo Mattioli djembe Fiberskyn head I liked much better than the Nuskyn version, and I swear by Fiberskyn on timbale macho even if that is less of an appliable comparison to conga.

Anyways, even though I have given up using synthetic conga heads, the other night for some reason I started listening to videos of different remo conga heads. No mix to drown out the overtones, yet this allowed me to evaluate the sound from the audience perspective. I still think I'd like Nuyskyn for tumba, but after hearing the following video of Jesus Diaz playing Fiberskyn on congas, if I were going to use synthetic again this is what I would now want to try on conga and quinto:

http://www.remo.com/portal/artists/5141 ... video.html

Expessially if the ring is lost in the mix, the quality of the sounds may be most important. I do not know if I could hope to get the same sound out of this as Jesus, but I am so blown away by the sound he gets on this video I almost wish I could afford to try Fiberskyn just for fun.

I am guessing Michael Spiro does a pretty good job of demonstrating the sound of Skyndeep on conga:

http://www.remo.com/portal/artists/5043 ... Spiro.html

Depending in the material I can see this being a good choice, but judging from these demonstrations, the sound that Jesus gets on Fiberskyn is what I would go for.

Sorry I didn't have this input before you bought the Nuskyn Will, but trying for yourself is probably the only way to find out either way. I did wonder about Skyndeep, but I really never considered Fiberskyn on conga until I heard this video of Jesus.
pulse

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:56 am

In reviewing this post again, I agree with you pulse on Jesus playing of the Fibeskyns. It just sounds so nice. I am also thinking that he is probably in a nice room for acoustics, and wonder if the congas he is playing might have microphones on the inside? In taking a look in my garage where I play mostly I see lots of things that are not good for acoustics. Things like a cement floor, cabinets made with partical board, metal cabinets, clothes hanging on a line, some parts of the floor covered with rugs. No wonder my tests come out highly inconclusive. What to do... I have decided to just hang in there with rawhide skins for now.
Thebreeze

Postby rhythmrhyme » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 am

Jesus is simply a drumming machine! His technique is so tight, precise and thought out. If you try to look past that, the drums themselves don't actually sound that great. Anything would sound great with him playing it, but I honestly think I've heard better sounding drums. For me, same thing with Michael, the drums sound like plastic buckets... :roll: but are still very musical under his hands.

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby onile » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Alafia Abures!
I hope that you are all well!

Okay, this is not as good as the "Jesus Diaz" video, but I've finally gotten around to recording a very short snipit for sound on the new "Fiberskyns" I mounted on my Patatos.

I actually am a proponent for "natural" skins, however these have opened my eyes (and hands) to new possibilites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZfwu41v5-s

Weeeeeepa!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby vinnieL » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:55 am

Onie no doubt your hands will thank you for using synthetic. I have talked to a lot of young professionals that are currently touring and in the mix and they all say that they are using synthetics now because of their hands they dont have to hit as hard to get their sound. I am beginning to appreciate this aspect of synthetic heads. As we get older our hands will let us know how much we abused them and I would ike to keep as much use of my hands as possible when I get older.
vinnieL

Postby pcastag » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:12 pm

onile wrote:Alafia Abures!
I hope that you are all well!

Okay, this is not as good as the "Jesus Diaz" video, but I've finally gotten around to recording a very short snipit for sound on the new "Fiberskyns" I mounted on my Patatos.

I actually am a proponent for "natural" skins, however these have opened my eyes (and hands) to new possibilites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZfwu41v5-s

Weeeeeepa!

Onile!

Nice! Interestingly enough your vid of the red patatos with nice skin heads was just off to the right , so it's easy to compare the two. I like the sound of the fiberskins the best of all the synthetic heads, but if you're not playing loud live gigs I still think skin is the way to go.
PC
pcastag

Postby CongaTick » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Onile,

Are those "standard rims" on the Patatos, and if so, which model # did you order for the tumba. I'm trying to determine which (if any) would fit my LP Palisades Fiberglass tumba with a standard rim.
CongaTick

Postby CongaTick » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:22 pm

TUMBA2.JPG
CongaTick

Postby Kaban » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Do fiberskyns fit the Patato congas with standard rims, or is that why you went with traditional rims?

Godspeed
Kaban

Postby onile » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Alafia Brother CongaTick!

I actually ordered the 12.50" for the tumbadora from Anydrum.com
I ordered them because of the mics that I use (Sennheiser e604), didn't attach to the comfort curve crown with the Fiberskyns.

Alafia Brother Kaban!

Yes, I ordered the traditional crowns for my Patatos because of the reason I stated above, the mics kept slipping off using the comfort curve crowns while I played.

The Fiberskyns model number that I ordered are:
1 x Remo Fiberskyn Crimplock Symmetry 11.75" Conga Drumhead (M4-1175-F6-D1) = $48.45
1 x Remo Fiberskyn Crimplock Symmetry 12.5" Conga Drumhead (M4-1250-F6-D1) = $47.73
I actually ordered these from Memphis Drum Shop: memphisdrumshop.com

I ordered the "traditional" crowns/rims from Anydrum.com

LP Traditional Rim, 12 1/2" Tumbadora, Chrome (of course you'll need to indicate which drum size you need, ie. 11", 11.75", or 12.5") I dealt with one of the most kindest and knowledgeable persons there, Cathy: mailto:cathymoo3@comcast.net

Hopefully this info is helpful!
Stay well!
Last edited by onile on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Thebreeze » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Nice playing on those drums onile! Good tones and slaps.
Thebreeze

Postby musiqman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:20 pm

onile wrote:Alafia Brother CongaTick!

I actually ordered the 12.50" for the tumbadora from Anydrum.com
I ordered them because of the mics that I use (Sennheiser e604), didn't attach to the comfort curve crown with the Fiberskyns.

Alafia Brother Kaban!

Yes, I ordered the traditional crowns for my Patatos because of the reason I stated above, the mics kept slipping off using the comfort curve crowns while I played.

The Fiberskyns model number that I ordered are:
1 x Remo Fiberskyn Crimplock Symmetry 11.75" Conga Drumhead (M4-1175-F6-D1) = $48.45
1 x Remo Fiberskyn Crimplock Symmetry 12.5" Conga Drumhead (M4-1250-F6-D1) = $47.73
I actually ordered these from Memphis Drum Shop: memphisdrumshop.com

I ordered the "traditional" crowns/rims from Anydrum.com

LP Traditional Rim, 12 1/2" Tumbadora, Chrome (of course you'll need to indicate which drum size you need, ie. 11", 11.75", or 12.5") I dealt with one of the most kindest and knowledgeable persons there, Cathy: mailto:cathymoo3@comcast.net

Hopefully this info is helpful!
Stay well!

Does the Crimplock Symmetry work with the trad. hoops? I ordered 3 set and 2 set for the bongo in Tiger Stripe but im using trad. hoops.
musiqman

Postby torpedo tom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Onile, check your e-mail.
torpedo tom

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories