Review of the Meinl's Luis Conte Congas?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Review of the Meinl's Luis Conte Congas?

Postby JL Encarnacion » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:05 am

Hi guys, I need your help. i'm looking for a second affordable kit, I already have the LP Galaxy Congas in wood. My selection is the Meinl Luis Conte Congas, the LP Fiberglass Congas...And in second place the LP Matador and LP Matador Custom in wood. I tested all of them minus the Luis Conte, but LP raised their prices and I see also a lower quality in the drums. What is your thoughts about the Luis Conte? What you would do? Anyone? Thank you!!

JL Encarnacion

Re: Review of the Meinl's Luis Conte Congas?

Postby niallgregory » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 pm

I have recommended the Luis model drums to many people over the years , they are very cheap to buy in europe from Germany and are excellent drums for the price . Excellent regardless of the price tbh .Good sound , good hardware , very good stock heads . Best drums out there for that price , heads can also be replaced with remos if thats our preference ...
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby SpEd » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Very happy with mine... replaced the stock heads with L&S mules, which made quite an improvement in sound quality. Drums and hardware are solid, and I also like the rubber rims at the bottom for playing on hard surfaces.

SpEd

Postby mrhands » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:10 am

These drums are probably the best drums out there for the price. They are very nice looking drums and they sound very good. I sometimes wish I didn't sell mine. I needed the money at the time however.....anyways... I would get them in a heartbeat! That being said, I put remo's on them. The ones that fit were the regular crimplock series fiberskyn heads, not the crimplock symmetry...the model numbers ended in D4 (the designation of the width of the metal hoop on the head)> I had to put a little tape on them to quiet the ringing a bit...But yes, all in all, fantastic drums. Meinl really hit a home run with it. I was curious though, since you already have wood congas, why wouldn't you go for fiberglass congas? I would get a fiberglass set as my second set. Unless of course you don't like the sound of fiberglass..
mrhands

Postby JL Encarnacion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:38 am

Thank you people! Mrhands... I could get a fiberglass set, but which one is good? I thought LP Matador Fiberglass was a good choice, but I dont know what is happening with LP, they raised the prices so bad. Today I came to the LP Distributor here in PR and they ask me $492 for the tumba only!! :shock:
JL Encarnacion

Postby congamyk » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Musiciansfriend.com buy all 3 for $780 and get the matching bongos for free .

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/meinl-luis-conte-3-piece-conga-set-with-free-bongos/712967000000000

congamyk

Postby b0ng0 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:24 am

Saludos,

JL: if I can make a suggestion, if your looking to buy a set of fiberglass congas go with the patatos or galaxy, the matador fiberglass sucks, matador wood congas are great but the fiberglass series isn't the best...
b0ng0

Postby JL Encarnacion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:33 am

b0ng0 wrote:Saludos,

JL: if I can make a suggestion, if your looking to buy a set of fiberglass congas go with the patatos or galaxy, the matador fiberglass sucks, matador wood congas are great but the fiberglass series isn't the best...

Really? Why do you think that about the Matador Fiberglass Congas? I would like to know! Thank you.
JL Encarnacion

Postby b0ng0 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:06 pm

JL,
I have played the raul rekow custom fiberglass congas & I owned the bongo version of the series, they were the green sparkle series, they don't too good, the fiberglass shell is too thin & they don't project as well as other fiberglass congas, the congas aren't that bad, but they're are other better fiberglass sets, patatos are really great, they project really well on stage, also the meinl fibercraft are good too, pearl bobby allende series congas are also a great fiberglass set, they come with remo fiberskyn heads & they're cheaper than LPs.... the matador fiberglass are cool if they were given as a gift, but I wouldn't spend money on them. Mis 2 centavos.saludos.
b0ng0

Postby JL Encarnacion » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:45 am

Gracias hermano! Feliz 2012 a todos!
JL Encarnacion

Postby JL Encarnacion » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Anyone knows exactly which Remo head fit to this Mein Luis Conte 11 3/4" & 12 1/2". Remo chart does not have them listed. Thank you again!
JL Encarnacion

Postby mrhands » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:07 am

JL Encarnacion wrote:Anyone knows exactly which Remo head fit to this Mein Luis Conte 11 3/4" & 12 1/2". Remo chart does not have them listed. Thank you again!

Hey Jl Encarnacion, I only had the 11 and 11 3/4 sizes of these drums. The heads that fit really easily for me that also left a nice space between the crown and my hands were the Regular Crimplock series heads, the Fiberskyn. these are M4-1106-R5-D4 and M4-1175-R5-D4 if I remember correctly. You can always contact Meinl about this. They have much et customer servie than Remo. For the 12 1/2 I would guess it would be M4-1250-R6-D4 but you should double check with Meinl. I hope this helps a bit.

btw, I took the liberty of uploading an old video I recorded a little while ago with the congas and the remo heads I mentioned above. I should mention that there is a little tape on the bottom of the heads to get rid of some of the ring. Other than that, the sound was not messed with at all, straight from my recording device (Zoom H2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLK5_xw ... e=youtu.be
mrhands

Postby Kaban » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks for sharing mrhands. 8)
Kaban

Postby JL Encarnacion » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Thank you mrhands, nice video and great playing. The problem is that Remo discontinued that model of Fiberskyns, now they only make the new ones that have like a green fabric glued, those were brown in the border and I don't know why they stop making themm :?

I haven't bought the congas yet, first I was researching about quality and head replacement before buying them. I'm a crimplock symmetry Skyndeep fan, so I hope I could use them with the Luis Conte. Thank you again!!
JL Encarnacion

Postby niallgregory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:29 pm

JL Encarnacion wrote:Thank you mrhands, nice video and great playing. The problem is that Remo discontinued that model of Fiberskyns, now they only make the new ones that have like a green fabric glued, those were brown in the border and I don't know why they stop making themm :?

I haven't bought the congas yet, first I was researching about quality and head replacement before buying them. I'm a crimplock symmetry Skyndeep fan, so I hope I could use them with the Luis Conte. Thank you again!!

Just to let you know the heads on the lc models i have played where very good .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories