HOW TO MAKE CONGA HARDWARE? HOW TO MAKE A BONGO OR A CONGA?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

HOW TO MAKE CONGA HARDWARE? HOW TO MAKE A BONGO OR A CONGA?

Postby Rumba Rumbero » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:17 am

DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF ANY SITES, OR LINKS OR VIDEOS THAT SHOW HOW TO MAKE HARDWARE, RIM, EARS? CROWN?

LUGS? WHAT MACHINES TO USE?

OR ANY LINKS THAT ARE GOOD HOW TO MAKE A BONGO, OR CONGA BLUE PRINT?

I AM INTERESTED ON STARTING ON HARDWARE?
I HAVE SEEN THE FORUM MEMBER FROM EUROPE VIDEOS, BUT THEY ARENT THAT HELPFULL?

THEY ARE PICTURES, BUT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MACHINE, TO USE AND HOW TO MAKE MY OWN COSTUM CONGA LUGS?

I THINK HE KNOWS?

ABOUT MAKING CONGAS, AND BONGOS, I KNOW HOW TO, I HAVE DIFFERENT WAYS, AND SOME BLUE PRINTS, BUT WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHATS THE BEST WAY ITO ME? TRYING TO GATHER ALL TECHNICS, AND USE THE BEST FOR ME?

BUT ABOUT HARDWARE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH INFO ONLINE....
I ALSO WANNA MAKE SOME SIDE PLATES, AND THE CROWNS....CAN ANYONE HELP?

THANX, ALL INFO APRECIATE IT...

YOU CAN ALSO PM,ME, I AM EXPERIENCING IN THE DIFFERENT MAKING METHODS, AND FOR COSTUM SOME OF MY CONGAS.

THANX
Rumba Rumbero

Re: HOW TO MAKE CONGA HARDWARE? HOW TO MAKE A BONGO OR A CONGA?

Postby Anonimo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:45 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Miguel7 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:18 am

Or you could simplify things a bit and create something rope-tuned like the tambora drum. I got a cheap handmade one once where the guy used this:
- A barrel or other cylindrical/drum-shaped object w/the bottom cut out (probably just used a saw & sand paper or removed the nails to get rid of the bottom)
- Some good-quality rope (it was able to withstand the tension necessary for tuning but never seemed to over-stretch)
- Some kind of rawhide (it wasn't a professional drum-head but you could easily buy a conga head on eBay or wherever)
- 2 wooden rings for rims (these were pretty cracked due to tension from the ropes, but I'm sure you could find or make better)

Here is an example of what it looks like (it's in Spanish but if u need a translation let me know lol):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6lknXZth54

Now the tambora is 2-sided, and the rope was woven in and out from rim to rim in "V's". So along the body of the drum it looked like VVVVVVVVVVVVVV with each point looping through the rim. It was a bit of a pain to tune but had a great sound when it was done right (I also had to take it apart and tape up the rings a couple times; so if you want to do it this way make sure your rims are either metal or a good quality wood that can handle the rope).

So for a conga/bongo, or at least a conga/bongo-like drum, you could do something like that but one-sided. To accomplish this, you would need to have something else (where the lugs would go on a lug-tuned conga) for the V's to loop around instead of the other rim. These could probably be nails hammered into the side, then padded with tape or something like that to keep it from tearing the rope.

Either way, you're in for a lot of work, but I admire that you're trying! Me personally, I think I'd rather either save for a whole conga or buy the parts pre-made, one piece at a time to construct a complete conga. :) Sounds like a fun project though, making a conga.
Miguel7

Postby dende » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:52 am

Making congas and other drums is very fun, but i havent made any with Hardware, ive done it with 5mm Djembe rope, in a Mali weave (http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x114 ... g&newest=1), as well as some other atabaques. that one was my first conga :D , and 5th large drum made.
im gonna be making a few more congas, with some different techniques ive been trying to hammer out. if you have any questions, id be happy to help, and we probably will run into some similar road blocks and can work them out together. im gonna start using thicker and exotic woods (non oily), so i need to change my steaming method, but my aunt wont let me use a propane burner at home, (even though i work with propane at work) which also means i need to change my assembly from the simple "closing flower" to a pre bent precut job that i havent worked all of the kinks out with (with the tools i have on hand)
I cant wait to try this method for oilier woods much later on (Metre Lua Rasta Making an Atabaque around a fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdjOyBrPGx0 )

I am so exited to have found this forum, i have tonnes of questions about making and playing

By the way, im sure you know hand made does not always equal cheap. even if the conga i made was my first, it still sounded and responded way better than every single other one ive played. (past tense because i sold it)
dende

Postby Mr. Conga » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:07 am

any body know how to make the v shape, lp ear lobe of the conga hardware, how to make the v shapes, with that triangle rod hook in the middle of the v?
Mr. Conga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 am

Mr. Conga wrote:any body know how to make the v shape, lp ear lobe of the conga hardware, how to make the v shapes, with that triangle rod hook in the middle of the v?

I would think a "die" is needed to make the "V" shape earlobs with the triangle rod hook.
Also have you consindered the Valje style ear lob seems to be a tad more simplistic to make.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Anonimo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:08 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: HOW TO MAKE CONGA HARDWARE? HOW TO MAKE A BONGO OR A CON

Postby artesano » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:03 am

Hey, Lugs no problem, rim no hoop and ring making no problem. I'm half way through with ear. Still working on that little bend between the lig and the rim. First bend good. It's the second about 3/16" bend where the flesh hoop to be nestled in and lay on the side of the crown rim which I'm still trying to make happen. This is the one and only problem I have. Any one here have any idea or suggestion?
artesano

Postby artesano » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:08 am

I'm almost sure and would bank on the original crafts person cuban conga builder had no dies. Put on your hats
artesano

Postby vinnieL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 pm

It definitely can be made by hand but some knowledge in heat treating for hardness etc and black smithing would help
vinnieL

Return to CongaSet and accessories