Gon Bops Mariano Series Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Gon Bops Mariano Series Congas

Postby s'chopp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Does anybody have any experience with these drums? They aren't made from mahogany like the originals, it's durian wood, but the price seems reasonable...

http://www.percussionsource.com/p100081 ... escription
Last edited by s'chopp on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
s'chopp

Re: Gon Bops Mariano Series Congas

Postby pcastag » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:00 am

Interesting, they're not even up on teh website yet, looks like they're reissuing them with another lightweight indonesian wood. Look nice! Wonder what they're going to sound like.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby MedinaNYC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:01 am

yeah, they do look nice...and less then the california series...wish i could hear them...
MedinaNYC

Postby s'chopp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:07 am

s'chopp

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:41 am

Very cool. This is the first time I have seen this reissue. I find the Tumba sizes to be among my favorites. I hope these are Mahogony and US built. I hope other sizes will be available including the 14.25" XXL Tumba and the 9.75 Quinto.

I have originals of this series and I find the naming of the sizes to not match the original Gon Bops. My Mariano Tumba IT 3300 is 11.5". Gon Bops had odd sizing and naming of their congas by size from the others but they are (in my opinion) the best sounding mass produced American Congas ever built (pre DW).

The original sizing goes:

IQ 9.75", IC 10.5", ICL 11", IT 11.5", ITL 12.25", ITXL 13.25" and ITXXL.

IQ = Quinto, IC = Conga, ICL = Conga Large, IT = Tumba, ITL = Tumba Large, ITXL = Tumba Extra Large and the rare ITXXL = Tumba Extra Extra Large.

Thanks for sharing this.

The sizing can vary .25" occasionally.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Anonimo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:22 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby pcastag » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:55 am

I personally have not heard of any issues with the new drums cracking like the old ones ,I had a set of CA. series that were made extremely well, didn't eally like the sound though, I've got some acunas now that I like much better for some reason, the CA were too dry. I also haven't heard of any warranty issues with any of the new drums, they did change ownership form DW to Sabian, but those are both well known companies. the new drums are made of some type of indonesian lightweight hardwood, the one that really stinky fruit comes from.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Anonimo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Anonimo

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I agree with Leedy about the Gon Bops " better to buy an old drum and fix the cracks... the wood is already aged". Most of the issues are glue cracks not wood cracks but there are occasional wood craking issues.

Generally with older drums the wood becomes more stabilized as for shrinkage. This is a possible reason for some of the .25" variation of size of some of the older Gon Bops. The older drums may vary from summer to winter due to humidity and seasonal conditions but the overall shrinkage of the wood will be complete. The major issue with Gon Bops is the poor glue that was used with earlier models.

I like the older Gon Bops wood sound but the glue is a potential high maintenance issue. Also the "Mahogany" (not true Mahogany) is soft and scratches and is very easy to damage. Later Oak Gon Bops are more durable and most have better glue but some have the same glue issue. I prefer the tone of the mellow "Mahogany" though.

There are some facts but there are many different opinions and options though. Some of this discussion is fact and part of this is opinion.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Jerry Bembe

Postby mrhands » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:24 pm

Here's a little video I found of Alex Acuna jamming with La Mole Ortiz and a few other people. He's playing the Mariano Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XaYejPNkPA
mrhands

Postby pcastag » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:37 am

leedy2 wrote:
pcastag wrote:I personally have not heard of any issues with the new drums cracking like the old ones ,I had a set of CA. series that were made extremely well, didn't eally like the sound though, I've got some acunas now that I like much better for some reason, the CA were too dry. I also haven't heard of any warranty issues with any of the new drums, they did change ownership form DW to Sabian, but those are both well known companies. the new drums are made of some type of indonesian lightweight hardwood, the one that really stinky fruit comes from.
PC

pcastag
the known company's are the one that give you the most head aces to make an exchange.I brought the Alex Acuna bongos i also brought a California series bongos from Gon bops direct. The wood that they use is what is call in the industry as green wood ,this is wood that is not aged. Aged wood cost a lot of money and it is easier to repair green wood than aged wood. So many of these company's buy a cheaper wood and put coats of fiber glass to protect wood or poly coat the drums so they don't crack. but they still crack , The Alex Acuna under the plastic coat they put they crack. On gom bop this has been a problem that I remember back since the Mariano era And today what Sabian is doing in there transition is bring back the old design model from the Mariano era. You will see other model soon to come made by Marino Bobadilla the original labels are coming back out. In todays market you are better off buying an old gon bop that is cracked and repair than the new ones the old wood has aged and dried it takes over 50 years for wood to dry proper and when wood is totally dry it will no longer crack that is when it reaches it peek of quality. In a drum sound then become excellent that why you play an 50+ years drum and it sounds so good. So by cutting the wood to shape it just making work easy nothing better one from the other. If I am not mistaken I posted a topic on woods used for congas that talk about this before how it is pick and dry wood. look it up.

Right, I still haven't heard of any of the CA series oak drums cracking, Akbar's pretty good at what he does and while I didn't liet he sound his drums are pretty solid. His sol drums as far as I know did not have any issues with crackin either, according to their website the woods age for a year before they are shippeed.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Anonimo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:21 am

Anonimo

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Leedy, what do you mean by treated wood? Are you refeering to kiln dried wood? Kiln drying staves or in 3rd world contries would dry their staves over a fire. This removes the green quality. This practice is also used for premium lumber is kiln dried wood.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Anonimo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Last edited by Anonimo on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anonimo

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories