New Volcano Percussion Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

New Volcano Percussion Congas

Postby Gallichio » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:05 am

Hello Congaplace,

Here is a new drum from Volcano Percussion. The congas are built with the same quality as all the Volcano Conga drums. The price is what I think very affordable. $599.00 each with what I understand to include free shipping in the U.S. I have not heard the drum yet but I am told they sound great. They look beautiful and are made from Hawaiian Ohia wood.

Enjoy!

securedownload.jpg
Last edited by Gallichio on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gallichio

Re: New Volcano Percussion Congas

Postby Gallichio » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:36 am

I wanted to mention the Ohia congas come in 4 sizes and the price is the same for all of them. The sizes are 11, 11.75, 12.5, and 13inch.

This info is from the web site -

The tree this drum is created from is the predominate native Hardwood tree of our Hawaiian Islands. It grows along side of Hawaiian Koa at the same elevation. We are pleased to be able to offer this beautiful wood now for drums. All staves are made of hand selected Premium grade Ohia. Comes with Texas Bull hide Heads. Insides are finished. Stainless bottom rim, backing plates and screws. Top Grade Chrome Comfort Curve Crowns, 5/16" lugs and Full Protection Bumpers with a Rubber Gasket on bottom.

Thanks
Mike
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby PRDRconguero » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:49 am

Out of pure curiousity, how much would a custom traditional premium monkeypod conga and tumba run? Ballpark...
PRDRconguero

Volcano Percussion's New On Line Store

Postby Gallichio » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Hello PRDRconguero,

Here is the new link to the new Volcano Percussion On Line Store. You can pick your options to see what the drums will cost you.

http://store.volcanopercussion.com

Enjoy
Mike
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Re: Volcano Percussion's New On Line Store

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:10 am

Gallichio wrote:see what the drums will cost you.

http://store.volcanopercussion.com

Enjoy
Mike

http://www.volcanopercussion.com/images/popups/KoaCongasPremiumBookmatched.jpg

Retail Price: $2,499.00

Each @ $2,500 :shock: Thats almost $2790 in my currency! Per drum!!!!
Set of 3 = $7,500 US = $8,360 AUD
set of 4 = $10,000 US = $11,147 AUD

Sorry, but to me, thats just ridiculous. Each to their own. Very pretty drums though.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby yambu321 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 am

I AGREE WITH ABAKUA ON THIS, AS WELL AS MY EXTENTION, OF THIS FEELING, TOWARDS THEIR BONGOS AS WELL. JAY BERECKS SOS'S, AND MATTHEW SMITH'S RITMOS, BOTH HAVE TRULY AUTHENTIC SOUND, AND ARE AS LEGENDARY AS THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL, YET ARE PRICED AT HALF OF WHAT IS BEING ASKED BY TOM ALEXANDER FOR HIS TOP BONGO. VOLCANOS ARE OF DIFFERENT WOOD TYPES TRUE, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR SOUND, THEY DON'T HAVE IT LIKE A SOS DOES.

THIS IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS.
I'VE BEEN PLAYING BONGO FOR 25 YEARS NOW, AND HAVE HEARD, PLAYED, AND OR OWNED, MOST.

WE ARE ALL ATLEAST LUCKY,
TO MAKE OUR OWN CHOICES.

CHARLIE. 8)
Last edited by yambu321 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby pcastag » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 pm

But,,, have you played VOLCANOS?
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby caballoballo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 pm

yambu321 wrote: VOLCANO'S ARE NOT AT THE SAME LEVEL AS JAY'S, OR MATTHEW'S.
yambu321 wrote:JAY BERECKS SOS'S, AND MATTHEW SMITH'S RITMOS, BOTH HAVE TRULY AUTHENTIC SOUND

I do not know but I have been many time into the Volcano web page. The Bongos look beautiful made inside and outside,the hardware looks flawless,the wood is thick, you have a choice of selecting the skins,wood, ect,ect. The only thing I do not like is the wood finish, too much shine which with the order you may be able to get a more opaque look,they come in the same standar size as the others.Other than the last mention I do not see anything wrong with them. Alright may be they are over price but, why do you think the mathews and jays will sound better ? Or are better in any other aspect ?

Providing the same enviroment and everything equal (skins,tunning,same hands ) they should sound as good as the ones you mentioned. All are made by excellent artisans. :arrow: Suave
Last edited by caballoballo on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby thomas newton » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 pm

pcastag wrote:But,,, have you played VOLCANOS?
PC

The op hasn't played the drum he's advertising so what makes playing them a qualification for having an opinion?
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby Gallichio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi PRDRconguero,

To answer your question I believe it would cost 2,398.00 with free shipping.

Thanks
Mike

You have good taste. You picked the top of the line Koa Wood and the finest stainless steel hardware that Volcano Percussion has to offer. I am thinking about selling my entire collection of congas for a set of these. This is my dream set. I wanted to show Cpngaplace the more reasonable new products that Volcano has to offer. A set of 4 drums in Hawaiian Ohia wood is only 2,396.00 and that is with free shipping to all of the U.S.A. I think that is a good price for Volcano quality and free shipping.

I wish I could do a blind fold test with you. To check the sound of various drum company's Bongos, Congas. etc. You may come to some very interesting conclusions. Its all good.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Caballoballo,

You bring up some good points. All are made by excellent artisans for sure. I can't do anything with wood, believe me I tried. I really respect these fine builders of beautiful and great sounding drums. Volcano Percussion can make the finish any way you want. A lot of people like the high gloss. Some don't so he can make them the way you tell him you want them. The drums are custom built for you. I am amazed at the loyalty some people have for their drums and the builders. I guess it is part of having the drum spirit in all of us drummers. I think you hit the conga on the head with your post.

Thanks
Mike
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Gallichio,

I wonder if somehow the Volcano drum prices reflects the high cost if living in Hawaii. I bet materials, tools, overhead, etc are way more expensive in Hawaii than in the mainland. So the cost to make the drum in Hawaii is way higher than say if you make the same drum in New York or Pennsylvania. So at the end of the day when the drums are completed and ready to hit the market the prices maybe alright for Hawaii but way too high for most states on the mainland.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Gallichio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi RitmoBoricua,

I think it is expensive to live in Hawaii. My wife and I were their back in 1977 and a breakfast cost us $20.00 back then. I think the high cost of some of Volcano Percussion Congas is certainly due to materials. Especially the wood. Koa full Curl is some of the most expensive and beautiful wood in the world. I also think the new Hawaiian Ohia Wood is a very good value at $599.00 per drum with free shipping. And it's made in the U.S.A. The shell is built the same way as Volcano's top of the line Congas. I don't know how anyone can make a drum this nice for less unless the builder uses less expensive materials or makes them in countries where people don't make enough money to feed their Families. I really don't know what the standard of living is like in let's say Thailand.

Thanks
Mike
Last edited by Gallichio on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Gallichio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm

My dream set for sure. Full Curly Koa. with Stainless hardware. Top of the Volcano Percussion Line.

KoaCongasPremiumBookmatched.jpg
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:25 pm

I used to live in Hawaii and I used to see Volcano drums for sale at Harry's Music in Kaimuki all the time.
Hawaii is comparable to the cost of living here in San Francisco.

With all due respect to my friends commenting in this thread, I don't think you are being fair in regards
to Volcanoes prices of their top drums. I think if you asked Matt Smith to take his most expensive wood,
the African Mahogany, which is regulary $950 a drum IIRC, to bookmatch the staves to each other and then
to polish some stainless steel hardware to a degree of polish similar to chrome, as Volcano does, I think
Matt is going to up the price on you significantly, to the point that the custom Ritmo you just ordered will
be more similar in price to the custom Volcano's under discussion.

The ohia wood Volcano at $599 is a good price, Volcano is doing well to diversify their line and prices.
bongosnotbombs

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Let me say this first and get it out of the way. I really do not have a problem with anybody buying a 2 or 3 grand single drum go ahead and knock yourself out what do I care your money and I do not have anything against any drum maker I admire their work.
Now if I were in the market looking to buy a drum I will ask myself a couple of questions being the thrifty motherflower that I am “Do I need to pay all this extra dough for this X or Y brand conga drum with all this book-matched, super dooper polished stuff , etc, you know luxury items really. Am I going to take a 3 grand drum to the local jam and get all that expensive workmanship all scratched-and banged- up or worse I encountered somebody playing with this cheap all banged and scratched-up Matador that make his drum sound way better than mine. Then I tell myself “You know what all this bells and whistles does not necessarily means this is a better sounding drum than one costing hundreds and even thousand less.” At the end of the day I will admire the superb workmanship of the 2 or 3 grand drums but not buy. To me functionality and affordability comes first but then again that’s me a man of simple taste with bills, kids in college and always looking out for the best value for my money.
RitmoBoricua

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories