Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Postby Bachikaze » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Since I posted the question, I have played a set of 5-year-old Toca Traditionals. My friend owns a set. Two of his have cowhide and one the water buffalo. The cowskin is original Toca. I guess when he bought them, that's what they were sold with. He loves his drums. One thing he said was that they have a wide range of tuning. He can tune all three of them to high and low pitches with good sound quality.

There was no doubt that the cowskin drums sounded good, especially the tumba. The water buffalo wasn't bad either. I think I could be content with the water buffalo until I changed it.

The main selling point of the Pearls is the head material. According to all sources, it's South American cowhide. I also happen to like the aesthetics of the metal bands. On the other hand, I'm not fond of the color. I'm a person who likes simplicity ("miminalist yet elegant" clicked with me), and the gradient from red to blonde doesn't excite me. It seems to contrast with the retro look of the bands.

Fitting Matadors with traditional rims has a lot of appeal to me. I've always been fond of Matadors, so I'll give it some thought. An important factor would be the cost of Olsongo's rings.

The idea of the size of the belly merits consideration, since I'm coming off Bauers, which are among the fattest drums I've ever seen.

In the end, between the Pearl and Toca, I might have to go with what I have experience with, which is the Toca. It's interesting that the vote on this thread, at this time, is almost 1/3 each for Tocas, Pearls, and Matadors, although I suspect that the Matadors would have more votes if I had included them in my list of choices.

Thanks.
Bachikaze

Postby vinnieL » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:57 pm

They are all fine choices go with what your heart tells you none of them will be a bad choice.
vinnieL

Postby umannyt » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:26 am

Bachikaze wrote:I also happen to like the aesthetics of the metal bands.

Precisely what I like about Pearl Folklorics.

Bachikaze wrote:On the other hand, I'm not fond of the color..., and the gradient from red to blonde doesn't excite me.

Precisely what I don't like about Pearl Folklorics.

Bachikaze wrote:Thanks.

You're more than welcome!
umannyt

Postby bengon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:16 am

I own a set of the Toca traditionals. No complaints from me, I like them quite a bit. Matadors are great drums too.

I haven't played the Pearl folkloric line, so I can't say anything about them. However, they are 28" tall, as opposed to 30" for the other drums. I don't really like 28" drums, but I suppose one could get used to it. Haven't heard or played them though.
bengon

Postby vinnieL » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:15 am

The Toca traditional is also a great looking conga in my opinion i wouldn't mind having a set in my possession.
vinnieL

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:08 am

My only experience with TOCA drums have been the orange ones as used in the ANGA video.
I was fortunate to use these during an overseas tour I did a few years ago. They were fantastic drums, great projection, excellent clarity, very well built drums. I was very happy with them.
Im not sure what series they are, but I imagine they are of top of the line in their range.

With the Pearl Folkloric, I was very dissapointed, I got the chance to review the set when they were first released here.
I had been looking forward to playing them, but when I finally got my chance, I was highly dissapointed with their skins and overall finish quality.
The projection was very poor and tonal clarity was much left desired sadly.
When compared to top of the line mass produced competitor drums in similar pricing, they simply are left behind in many ways.
Their hardware and shells however, did seem quite up to the task and very well fabricated.
I sadly cannot speak favourably of this line of Pearl congas, in terms of sound that is.

If you have the opportunity to actually play the sets you are looking at, go with the ones you prefer. At the end of the day its yourself who is splashing out the $$$$ for them and all that matters is that you are happy with your investment.

My 4 congas worth. :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Bachikaze » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:46 am

Thanks, all of you, for your suggestions, recommendations, and stories. They have been very helpful. This forum is great. As I was considering what to do, I searched on a number of promising drum names and read through all the posts referring to them. I get advice from several dozen players in one place! I had read postings on the Tocas and Pearl separately. It was good to see how you guys thought they matched up.

Added to the mix was my friend, a distributor of Tycoon, telling me he could get me Tycoon Signature Grand (ash & calfskin) at wholesale prices (in the $300 range). One thing that kind of stops me is that they and the Matadors ( a definite favorite among the forumers here) are rather fat-bellied drums, similar to the drums I just moved away from (Bauers). I think one of my desires was to get into the slimmer, Cuban-style shell. It's just a preference of sound and feel, I guess.

It's unfortunate I haven't been able to try any but the Tocas and Matadors. Almost all congas we have in San Diego are at Guitar Center. The closest one has only LPs in stock.

I only started considering the Tocas recently—called to my attention here http://congadr.blogspot.com/2008/08/ide ... gress.html —but they've really grown on me. I have inquired at a few shops to find a set.
Bachikaze

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:05 am

Yeh Tony comes on here from time to time, he certainly comes across alot of drums.

The TOCA model I am reffering to in my previous post are as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aBuFXnICHY
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby vinnieL » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 am

Abakua I own a copy of that DVD and Anga sure made those toca's sing didn't he! It goes to show you that with all our love for expensive customs that there are congas out there that sound great when played with good technique and love.
vinnieL

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:53 am

I found a pic of the TOCA congas I used on that tour I mentioned before..

They were great. Really impressed with their sound qualities etc. & their construction quality.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Bachikaze » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:07 pm

It's great that you got to play these! Apparently, Angá was content to play with the original water buffalo heads—either that, or his endorsement deal with Toca mandated it.

I'm pretty tolerant of water buffalo myself, though I will probably end up replacing the heads, since I'm such a tinkerer on my drums.
Bachikaze

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Anga & I had a discussion on his TOCA endorsement and the heads he used etc, he was happy with more than happy with them.
When I used those drums, they also had the factory heads on them and I also found them to be great sounding.

Of course, nothing compares to a quality mule skin though. 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Tonio » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:36 am

Toca's are not bad at all!!
Nice and light, the skin(buffalo) are better pickins than LP from what I remember. The crown/skin system is different in size than LP;'s , they are little closer to the shell, which I liked about them. The only thing is the lug/bracket were somewhat weak after cranking them up-didn't have the right angle to them. I don't remember the model, but they had traditional crowns w/ 6 lugs.
I got rid of it due to having too many miss match drums, Meinl, Lp, LP Valje, SOS & Gon Bops.

As the saying goes: Its how you play them- most upper end mass produced drums are good enough.

T
Tonio

Postby Bachikaze » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:58 am

I'm currently working on getting Toca Traditionals. I may be able to get a set delivered to a music store right here in San Diego for a good price.

I have a new question for you, but I doubt it will be easy to answer. I have a choice between an older model, being phased out now, and a newer one. I know the newer one has different color rims, and more significantly, rubber bushings between the lug brackets and shell. Do you know any other differences?

In case we have no Toca experts, here, do you guys think the Thai-made drums (LP/Toca/Meinl/etc.) in general have been improving in the past couple of years, or getting shoddier? The bushings seem to indicate they are working to improve.
Whaddaya think?

By the way. Look at the grains on the shells. Don't they appear to be different woods?
154932-4-1-99.3911-3-4T.JPG
Traditional being phased out
391134T.jpg
Newer Traditional
Bachikaze

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:34 am

Seems to be the same wood, simply that the 2nd image there is more light in the photo.
I like the idea of the rubber seal between the lug plates and the wood.
However, the skins appear to the the dry style cheapy ones, is this so? Or maybe just the angle of the photo....
Have you had the chance to play these drums? I may have missed this in the thread...
What sizes have you decided on?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories