SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Here is my cherry wood skin on skins I just got today.
I'm really impressed with how light they are.
They still have that new conga smell!
......and that's it! I'm done buying congas. I have all the congas and bongos I want and need.
don't worry, I'm going to be studying the bata soon so....... :D
Attachments
DSCF0069.JPG
DSCF0070.JPG
DSCF0071.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:45 am

Hey BNB,

Those SOS look beautiful and must sound incredible. Mine looked just like those when I first got them, through the years cherry wood starts to get dark and they look beautiful as well. Mine are from 1992 and this is how they look today.

CONGA-TULATIONS on your new beautiful tubs.

Dario
Attachments
SOS Cherry.JPG
Omelenko1

Postby mydogsowner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:01 am

Your congas are all so amazing! True art forms really!

Wow! :)
mydogsowner

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:56 am

Omelenko1 wrote:Hey BNB,

Those SOS look beautiful and must sound incredible. Mine looked just like those when I first got them, through the years cherry wood starts to get dark and they look beautiful as well. Mine are from 1992 and this is how they look today.

CONGA-TULATIONS on your new beautiful tubs.

Dario

Thanks Dario,
To tell the truth that video you posted of yourself playing those cherry SOS drums and your photos of them convinced me
to get these drums. I was looking for something different from my oak Resolution drums and those drums of yours seemed
like just the thing, so I guess I owe you one. I like to think I got the best congas available from both coasts now.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Mike » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:08 am

Hey BnB,
congrats on your latest buy (surely not your LAST :wink: ) - they must be awesome congas indeed! 8)
I wish I had the chance to see and hear them played alive... But they are not around here
in Europe very much (to put it mildly).

bongosnotbombs wrote:They still have that new conga smell!

This smell is highly addictive, I know .

Enjoy ´em! :mrgreen:

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby KING CONGA » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:20 am

Conga-tulations BNB your drums are beautiful, of course I expected nothing less, I'm sure you can't keep your hands off of them, I play my set every day :mrgreen: Dario your SOS's look amazing I love the darker tone.
KING CONGA

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:45 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:Here is my cherry wood skin on skins I just got today.
I'm really impressed with how light they are.
They still have that new conga smell!
......and that's it! I'm done buying congas. I have all the congas and bongos I want and need.
don't worry, I'm going to be studying the bata soon so....... :D

Bro, those are some awesome congas. 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Joseph » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Those are some beauties.
Cherry is such a beautiful wood, and develops a lovely patina over time.
In time you''ll be glad you have those photos of your new drums, to compare with them as they age.

I'm wondering, by comparing photos of yours and Dario's drums, if there hasn't been an evolution, over time, in the shapes of the SOS shells.
Perhaps it's optical illusion, due to camera angle, or more banding on Dario's, but your new models seem to have a noticeably smaller circumference to the bottom of the shell, and a slimmer, smoother profile.
Attachments
SOS Cherry.JPG
SOS 1992
SOS Cherry New.JPG
SOS 2008
Last edited by Joseph on Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph

Postby Congadelica » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Woah !!!!!!!!!Geordie .............
CONGA-Ratulations indeedy They look fantastic bro.

Dario those look nice , somthing to look forward to Age and the colour change BnB .

Suave

Marco
Congadelica

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks for all the sentiments guys. I'm very happy with these drums.
bongosnotbombs

Postby SkinonSkin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:02 am

I love and appreciate all the good comments fellas. If anyone would like to talk to us feel free to call. 607 639 2417. The turnaround is still around 3 months, and there are many pics on myspace under my name joshua scott.
SkinonSkin

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:28 am

My SOS are sounding better and better all the time, the braking in has greatly improved the quality of the sound.
Attachments
l_52e29e2e2749148b00f4888f9eaf4485.jpg
Some SOS before leaving Jay's shop
KING CONGA

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:36 am

Omelenko1 wrote:Here is Jay in his workshop in Atlantic Ave. Brooklyn, NY

Dario :D
The attachment Jay Bereck.jpg is no longer available

I shot this photo of Jay in 1994. (at his Atlantic Ave. location in the old 1930's Nabisco factory building)
I took it the day I went to pick up a small 8½ inch oak requinto I asked him to make for me.
That's it down in front of the other drums.
I sold it on Ebay about 3 months ago.
I liked the original Smith street location the best... sawdust everywhere!
And photos of drummers/musicians playing his custom handmade instruments. Originally, his brother worked with him there. They eventually had a "parting of the ways".
(My first S.O.S. was made of Ash and I believe his brother took part in making it in 1977)

A few pictures I found and scanned tonight.
Taken at Jays shop in 1994 on Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn.
I was picking out some skins, back when the quality of skin was much better then they are these days.
(no.. I'm not wearing my underwear! LoL!)
The last photo I took in 1989 at Jays original Smith street shop in Brooklyn.
I took my Mahogany "Junior" Tirado 10½ inch drum to be refinished by him, that's it in the middle all done.
Attachments
Jay bereck_1994.jpg
Requinto.JPG
Jay skins.jpg
Jay 1989.jpg
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby KING CONGA » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:41 pm

FidelsEyeglasses wrote:I was picking out some skins, back when the quality of skin was much better then they are these days.

Fidel Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Jay, his product and his shop, there aren't many pictures out like these so once again thank you. Now having said that and with all due respect, I don’t quite understand what you mean by your statement or whether you’re just being facetious, do you really believe that the quality of skins was better before? In what way? The cows, bulls and mules were and are made the same today, maybe not as "organic" but never the less the same, that's no bull. Please school me and tell me why you would think such a thing? or if you meant something totally different and I am mis interpreting, thanks, and again no disrespect.
KING CONGA

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:30 am

KING CONGA wrote:
FidelsEyeglasses wrote:I was picking out some skins, back when the quality of skin was much better then they are these days.

Fidel Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Jay, his product and his shop, there aren't many pictures out like these so once again thank you. Now having said that and with all due respect, I don’t quite understand what you mean by your statement or whether you’re just being facetious, do you really believe that the quality of skins was better before? In what way? The cows, bulls and mules were and are made the same today, maybe not as "organic" but never the less the same, that's no bull. Please school me and tell me why you would think such a thing? or if you meant something totally different and I am mis interpreting, thanks, and again no disrespect.

Saludos K.C., you can call me Mark ;)
Firstly, what is "better" for me, may not be "better" for someone else, it really boils down to a persons taste/preference in skin type, color, etc.
I can only speak from my experience with skins I encounter/see here on the East coast, on the West coast in L.A. and S.F. there seems to be more variety available.

The skins Jay B. currently uses , that J.C.R. currently uses and sells and even several I've seen on Matt's drums, all basically look the same, a perfect example of them is actually if I'm not mistaken, I believe are on three of yours: http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/download/file.php?id=1247&mode=view
Those drums are "excellent", so no reference to the drums themselves, but only the type of skin that I refer to.

A few months ago I went to Cali Rivera's shop to have an off size flesh hoop made, while there I asked to look at the bongo skin he had for sale, I looked through 3 full boxes... every single skin looked alike, little variation in texture, little variation in thickness, color, or naturally occurring "so called" imperfections (which for me, gives a skin it's individual alma).

When Cali was getting skin/s from a source in Venezuela 10-15 years ago... they were great, no two looked alike or sounded alike. ( some stamped "Pan Con Queso')
The skins Jay B. used to get only 10-15 yrs ago were great. You can see what I mean by looking at the skin I'm holding in the photo below which is what I mean by "the quality of the skins being better" then I currently see.

The unfortunate reality is that to keep costs down, the "skin" is not the most important thing on the drums made, the actual drum is the most important thing, so they buy from sources that are able to produce "quantity" and are able to be bought in bulk at a reasonably low price.
And those skins "to me" all have a "farm raised" identical look and sound.

There's a whole generation of players now who don't/won't even use skin... all they use is plastic or synthetic material.
I'm no fan of Buffalo or plastic, but that's another story. LoL!

Your S.O.S. drums look great. :)

"Cuero Na' Ma"!
Attachments
Jays skins.jpg
Cuban Bongocero.jpg
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories