SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:49 am

Welcome brother! I always enjoy the material on your site. Great to have you here. Bienvenido al forum 8)

Skin on Skins are killer tambores. I would happily invade a small nation to own a set!

They are a very very close 2nd if not equal to my all time favourites and in my opinion, the best tumbadoras in the world. Matt Smith's RITMO.
RITMO discussion here: http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4217
Attachments
matt-smith-final.jpg
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:12 am

FidelsEyeglasses wrote:Firstly, what is "better" for me, may not be "better" for someone else, it really boils down to a persons taste/preference in skin type, color, etc.
I can only speak from my experience with skins I encounter/see here on the East coast, on the West coast in L.A. and S.F. there seems to be more variety available.

Mark thank you for your response. I guess that your quote pretty much answers my question. I really don't have any experience in selecting cueros, I can look for the obvious, color, uniformity in thickness, texture and thickness depending on the drum they are going on, Quinto Conga or Tumba but how can someone really know the result of the sound before installation? I guess it's a hit and miss?
I recently sent my Candido Requeña to Matt Smith for restoration, he did tell me that I would have to install a thinner cuero being that the drum has thin staves, I asked him to set me up with one and I trust that he will provide me with the best suitable skin for the drum.

Once again Mark, thank you and thank you for your complement on my drums.
By the way, welcome to the forum, I enjoy your e-bay post as well as your web site, great resources.
KING CONGA

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:58 pm

My Killer SOS sun bathing in good old Souther California sun and getting a skin conditioning with Manteca de Corojo, provided by my friend Onile. It's been a year now since I’ve had them and the sound just keeps getting better. They are still in pristine condition, not a single scratch, the bands continue nice and tight just like when I first got them. I am so happy with these drums, I would encourage anybody, if you can, get yourself a set you will not regret it, you will have them for a life time.
Peace.
Juan
Attachments
DSC00056.JPG
Grabing some California Sun
DSC00057.JPG
DSC00058.JPG
KING CONGA

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:40 am

ABAKUA wrote:Welcome brother! I always enjoy the material on your site. Great to have you here. Bienvenido al forum 8)

Skin on Skins are killer tambores. I would happily invade a small nation to own a set!

They are a very very close 2nd if not equal to my all time favourites and in my opinion, the best tumbadoras in the world. Matt Smith's RITMO.
RITMO discussion here: http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4217

Beautiful drums, I remember that first photo from Ebay several years ago when someone was selling those.

"Cuero na' ma'"
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby nobleway » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi all, I've been playing for a year with some mass produced drums. I've been thinking about stepping up in the quality of my drums. I called Jay and got details on SOS's line, $750 for all drums. So now I'm thinking about stretching out to buy 2 drums from him though I'm also thinking about Islas as well. I'm honestly thankful that I have even the ability to consider such quality drums.

Being new to the conga world I have not had much experience around the range of drums out there and I have questions. I see Jay sells drums in quarter saw oak, cherry, and ashe. I understand oak is louder and a bit heavy and that this wood choice perhaps gives the sound closest to congas as first made by oak rum barrels. The cherry looks beautiful from the pics here. The ashe looks very nice as well however no one has made any direct comments about this wood so far from what I've read. Any thoughts on wood selection for the sound produced in particular? Any thoughts on wood selection for other reasons ~ tradition, aesthetics, durability, weight, etc.?

I see you can order with chrome or with black oxide. Any thoughts about the two choices? Thanks forum!
nobleway

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:39 pm

I have two cherry SOS drums with chrome, my friend has 3 oak SOS drums with chrome and my
old instructor had 2 or 3 SOS drums in ash with the black oxide.

I tell you that black oxide is a very cool and distinctive look. I've read it is not quite as durable,
but I'm sure with proper maintenance it holds up fine. My instructors drums were a few years old,
and he lives close to the ocean. His hardware was perfect. Black oxide, I seem to remember, Jay offers
a little cheaper? I think it is cheaper for him to have it done, and the process is more environmentally friendly as well.

I was very impressed with my instructors ash SOS, with black oxide, just super sweet drums. The grain on the
ash was really cool, and the lighter colored wood with the black metal was awesome.

I had my cherry SOS over at my friends house a while back, and we compared his oak SOS with my
cherries, we could not really tell the difference between the two with our eyes closed.

My cherry wood drums are the lightest of them all, which is why I got them, because I schlepp
these drums around to jazz gigs all over and wanted something lighter. They aren't pounds lighter, but
the weight difference is noticeable. I also already had oak drums.

Oak and ash are harder, so they probably resist dents and such better. Ultimately all 3 woods compare favorably with
each other IMHO.

My advice is to go with whichever wood and metal finish captures your imagination best and appeals
to your personal aesthetics the most.
Attachments
DSCF0069-1.JPG
PC200007.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:35 pm

I forgot to mention, these drums are also owned by friends of mine.
Cherry SOS with black oxide.

My friend Matt got the conga and tumba and James still has the quinto.
Matt lives just 2 blocks away so I play these often.

Actually I'm thinking of getting the quinto, to add to my conga and tumba, oh the temptation.

btw the quinto is from 2000 and the other drums 1992

(please don't hate me Abakua :lol: )
Attachments
P3290008.JPG
P3290001.JPG
P3290002.JPG
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:39 pm

bongosnotbombs & KINGKINGA - I hate you both. :lol: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Im green with envy!!!!

:lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:58 am

nobleway wrote:The cherry looks beautiful from the pics here. The ashe looks very nice as well however no one has made any direct comments about this wood so far from what I've read. Any thoughts on wood selection for the sound produced in particular? Any thoughts on wood selection for other reasons ~ tradition, aesthetics, durability, weight, etc.?
I see you can order with chrome or with black oxide. Any thoughts about the two choices? Thanks forum!

If you do go with a set of SOS you would no doubt be making an excellent investment. I agree with BNB, other than the weight, you will not notice a difference in the sound so it's really just a matter of personal preference. One thing is for sure, no matter what combination you go with, you will NOT be disappointed, I have come to learn that Jay is not one to compromise quality or workmanship a man who stand behind his product 100%. Also keep in mind that you would have hade drums made by literally one of the best hand drum artisans alive, a legend just like vergara & Natalio whose drums are highly sought after throughout the world today, in fact when he was building my drums he had an order of 12 congas ready to be shipped to Switzerland…wow.
Matthew Smith another hand drum artesian whose drums are second to none, right along side Jay’s Skin on Skins, killer drums.
Peace.
Juan

Que siga la Rumba!!!!!!
Attachments
l_dae0713151d1434896b7711263dbd695[1].jpg
Switzerland bound
KING CONGA

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:51 am

That set of 12 looks like they are made of ash to me
Attachments
file.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:38 am

I know some of you guys are going to hate them, but I called up Jay, discussed it with him and followed his instructions perfectly.
He was telling me he put them on for Ray Barretto, and others, back in the day.
They work very well, perfectly balanced and easy to use because of the lighter cherry wood.
Attachments
DSCF1501.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:30 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:I know some of you guys are going to hate them

BNB please tell me that it's only "PHOTOSHOP" and not a literal set of handles on those wonderful drums, please!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry:
What made you do it? :?: Are they re-enforced on the inside, please take a picture. Did Jay provide you with the handles? Where did you buy them? Ok Ok Ill say it, The handles don't look bad, they actually make the drums look more traditional.
No doubt, a sweet looking set of drms.
KING CONGA

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:40 pm

KING CONGA wrote:
bongosnotbombs wrote:I know some of you guys are going to hate them

BNB please tell me that it's only "PHOTOSHOP" and not a literal set of handles on those wonderful drums, please!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry:
What made you do it? :?: Are they re-enforced on the inside, please take a picture. Did Jay provide you with the handles? Where did you buy them? Ok Ok Ill say it, The handles don't look bad, they actually make the drums look more traditional.
No doubt, a sweet looking set of drms.

Nope, no photochop there, real handles
I got tired of needing two hands to move them, and hurt my fingers a couple of times moving them by the lugs. I appreciated the handles on my other drums, especially my big Valje tumba, a beast of a drum.
I wanted to follow Jay's instructions exactly. Jay told me to just use the wood screws the handles came with. Jay doesn't actually make his handles. He told me he used to use handles by Stanley Hardware, and Ray Barretto used to bring him handles from other drums. I used these real nice stainless steel handles made by Ace hardware, 6 1/2". They match the stainless steel bands perfectly.
bongosnotbombs

Postby ianmc84 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Has anyone ordered drums from Jay recently?

Thanks!

-Ian
ianmc84

Postby ianmc84 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:42 pm

I found a phone number for Jay from his apprentice's Myspace. Its 607 639 2417.
ianmc84

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories