SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Postby Omelenko1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 pm

The Iya is a Junior Tirado, I bought it in his place in Brooklyn, I had just stopped to say hello and was visiting my daughter in NY, he claimed Milton Cardona had trade it in for a mohagony one. This Iya is made out of ash. Junior knew a was a softie for whatever he showed me, so I bought it on the spot. Junior was "la raiz". Que en paz descanse, maestro. Moforibale.

Dario :D
Omelenko1

Postby Gallichio » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Years ago I purchased a old set of four Skin On Skin congas on e-bay. I was very upset to find that a lot of the glue used had somehow fallen out between the staves. I fixed them with a wood filler and they really sounded Great. I wish I still had them. The only set to come close or better in my opinion is my Volcano Percussion congas.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby congalero » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:31 am

Jay and Joshua are certainly making drums. They sent me 4 oak and 2 cherry (to match my other cherry) a few months back. All are just as I expected, and I am quite satisfied with the results. Wait time was just about 6 months.
congalero

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 pm

congalero wrote:Jay and Joshua are certainly making drums. They sent me 4 oak and 2 cherry (to match my other cherry) a few months back. All are just as I expected, and I am quite satisfied with the results. Wait time was just about 6 months.

Please post some pictures for us, we would love to see them Babies.
KING CONGA

Postby SkinonSkin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:12 pm

Johnny C are you talking about the plumber ex-model Jason?? I know Jason he is very cool but he was never Jay's apprentice and as far as i know the only drums he ever made were bata looking drums in another country. Geordie we started your order bro. Juan your order is nearly complete. I don't know if Marlon see's this but we are waiting on your hardware man then your order is just about done too.
SkinonSkin

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:05 pm

SkinonSkin wrote:Geordie we started your order bro.

Awesome! Thanks for the update and for checking in on the forum. Say hi to Jay for me!
bongosnotbombs

Postby KING CONGA » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:02 pm

SkinonSkin wrote:Hello Juan its nice to hear from you. Ok bro your 12" is done needs a skin your 11" is coming off the lathe on monday and the tumba will be glued tuesday i will try to get a picture for you but you dont have to wait much longer my friend they are almost done.

SkinonSkin wrote:Juan your oak drums will be done alot sooner then we had previously thought I will call you when it gets close. There .

Man am I excited :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've asked for some pictures of my drums regardles of the stage that they are in, if I get them Ill be sure to post them. :D
KING CONGA

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:14 pm

I was just talking with Josh, Jay's apprentice on the phone earlier today asking some questions..
anyways Skin on Skin is also still making bongos, I was asking about bata and it's not really decided
if they are going to keep making them or not....maybe if there was enough demand.

I was told the bongos are made of cherry which seems like it would make a nice light bongo.
bongosnotbombs

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:17 pm

I just spoke to jay, he told me that the congas were completed and all that was left to do was to make the almas and to skin them, he guestimated that they would be ready for shipping within a week or so :mrgreen: I am sooooooooo looking forward to them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
KING CONGA

Postby MangoMangue » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:28 pm

Gallichio wrote:Years ago I purchased a old set of four Skin On Skin congas on e-bay. I was very upset to find that a lot of the glue used had somehow fallen out between the staves. I fixed them with a wood filler and they really sounded Great. I wish I still had them. The only set to come close or better in my opinion is my Volcano Percussion congas.

Are you not a sales rep. for Volcano ? It seems you're negatives regarding Skin On Skin's durability is
less than objective. I think this forum should remain a place to leave negative advertising behind.
I'm sure the Volcanos are good...but this thread is for Skin On Skin, not a way to slip in an advertisement.

MangoMangue
MangoMangue

Postby Light Seeker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 pm

MangoMangue wrote:Are you not a sales rep. for Volcano ? It seems you're negatives regarding Skin On Skin's durability is
less than objective. I think this forum should remain a place to leave negative advertising behind.
I'm sure the Volcanos are good...but this thread is for Skin On Skin, not a way to slip in an advertisement.

MangoMangue

Mango, I understand what you're saying about all the unnecessary plugs for Volcano. I don't know if Mr. Gallichio is a sales rep for Volcano, but he certainly does often sound like it.

HOWEVER, "they really sounded Great. I wish I still had them" sounds like a pretty darn positive review of Skin On Skin to me. Saying that the glue came out between staves of old congas is not the same as attacking SOS's durability. Perhaps the previous owner of said drums always left them in his car during 100+ degree heat for extended periods. It's definitely possible, and obviously if Gallichio wishes he still had them, then he must think pretty highly of them. Right?
Light Seeker

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:13 am

MangoMangue wrote:
Are you not a sales rep. for Volcano ? It seems you're negatives regarding Skin On Skin's durability is

MangoMangue

Seems like a normal enough post to me, especially considering he's talking about a set he used to own himself.
This thread is asking for comments on Skin on Skin and Mike is relating his experience with a set he used to own and giving a comparison
of them with another high quality brand of congas he also owns. That is a first hand direct experience and comparison, between 2 makes of drums that are hard to come by, highly valued information in my opinion.
bongosnotbombs

Postby umannyt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:44 am

With all due respect to MangoMangue, I, too, didn't read Mike Gallicho's comments re: SOS to be negative on the whole. On the contrary, I read them to be overall positive.

Mike's initial evaluation on the quality of his former SOS were done on drums which he bought USED and not BRAND NEW. So, the original problem he had with the quality of their workmanship (specifically the gluing) is NOT NECESSARILY a negative reflection on SOS builder/owner, Jay Bereck, and brand new SOS.

Quite possibly, as has been stated before, the problem lay with the lack of care exercised by their prior owner(s).
umannyt

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:31 pm

I recently refurbished these by chrome platting the outter bands and adding 3 coats of marine varnish to them . Put a Pan Con Queso head that I bought from the son. These are circa 79/80, one of the first Jay made. Flat cut american oak 12" and 13". These tubs sound very sweet.

Rompe que rompe tambo'.

Dario
MVC-004F.JPG
MVC-001F.JPG
Omelenko1

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:I recently refurbished these by chrome platting the outter bands and adding 3 coats of marine varnish to them . Put a Pan Con Queso head that I bought from the son. These are circa 79/80, one of the first Jay made. Flat cut american oak 12" and 13". These tubs sound very sweet.

Rompe que rompe tambo'.

Dario

Great looking tubs. I Just noticed that you are selling these beuties :cry: Whoever is the lucky one will no doubt have a couple of gems on their hands. I can't help noticing the tags on the drums, did Jay previously Identify his drums with ID tags or did you identify them? I noticed the same style of tag's on your junior's :shock:
KING CONGA

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories