SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Postby ianmc84 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:40 am

Did you just call him this evening?
ianmc84

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Cadenza wrote:thanks!!!

Ya, baby.... he's still makin tubs. Talked to him on the phone, 72 years old, still at it with the help of an aprentice. :D

I can't resist - goin in!!

C

Candeza c'mon bro. dont keep us in suspense. What is the status here? :shock:
KING CONGA

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Cadenza wrote:I'll ask them to send a couple pics prior to finalizing the deal, I'll try to post. Cheers,
C

Try and see if Jay will take a picture with your actual bongos, I asked him about that when I got my SOS Congas but they were already boxed up :(
Cant wait to see some pictures.
Vaya!
KING CONGA

Postby Anonimo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:36 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Victorius » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Does anyone know a good recording of OAK SOS?

I found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0IA3jNY ... u_in_order

but it is not very helpfull... :(
Victorius

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Victorius wrote:Does anyone know a good recording of OAK SOS?

Victorius try and get a hold of Francisco Aguabellas H2o CD, all of the songs in that album are recorded with his all time favorite Congas, his SOS, in fact, the front cover shows him playing them.
Attachments
h2o.jpg
h2o.jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Francisco%20Aguabella_3.jpg
KING CONGA

Postby Victorius » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:08 pm

ooo I heard his ochimini album sometime ago - I didn't know those were SOS drums!

I must go back and hear again - thanks King Conga! :D
Victorius

Postby pcastag » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:31 am

H20 is classic, check out caito!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:53 am

Last edited by Anonimo on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 am

Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 am

Anonimo

Postby Victorius » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 am

I read this board everyday and recently I've noticed much more threads with arguments and offensive content. It was very weel-mannered board so what's up with you guys? please don't answer...

Personally I don't find anything unkind in Leedy's story about "Jay and Junior" but another replies aren't too kind to read. It is a topic about Skin On Skin drums and please don't waste it - just use PM message to personall disagreements. The rest of members don't need to read it :(
Victorius

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:23 pm

I started this thread with good and honest intentions, how sad that someone who would be really interested in learning about SOS drums would have to read so much usles and off the topic information. If there is one thig I dont appreciate is someone HACKING someone elses thread :evil:
Board Police where are you :|
KING CONGA

Postby Garvin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:59 pm

I can tell you that I only learned about and played Skin on Skin's in the last few years because the guys I play with have 3 sets. They are remarkable drums. I've never played such responsive quintos. The skins are incredible and the hardware and overall craftsmanship is awesome. They are not heavy (cherry wood), except for the oak set of course. In fact they are one of the lighter sets of congas I've played.

I know I've spewed this video all over the place, but here you can listen to a SOS quinto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyzZ5CGh2c the rest of the congas in this video are Sols. I kind of wish we would have had the Skin on Skin's for some more of it. Maybe next time we record something I'll suggest we use those.

Anyway, I can say that these are great drums. When we pass around parts at a rumba session, I'm always happy to sit with the Skin on Skins. Regardless of all of the other peripheral stuff which has been said in this and other threads, they are just great sounding drums. Also, they are relatively easy to have repaired/built in terms of wait time/customer service (from what I've seen in my group).
Garvin

Postby jorge » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 am

Leedy, I know Jay and I knew Junior, both of them are (were) friends of mine, and both of them have complained to me about the other one. You are being unfair, one sided and extreme in your accusations and it is unnecessary. Of course there was some friction at times between Junior and Jay, but the influences went both ways and, more importantly, both of them "borrowed" aspects of the Vergara design independently from Vergara drums. Both of them put a lot of original thought and innovations into their designs. Each of them was influenced by the other, but also by many other conga makers of the time. The shapes of Jay's and Junior's drums are different. The lugs are different. The hardware plates are different. The inside plate mountings are different. The types of staves and constuction methods are different. The construction of the rims is different. The construction, finish and types of steel of the hoops are different. The woods are different. The varnishes and finishes are different. The skins are different. The sounds of their drums are different. So I think it is hard to make a believable argument that Jay stole significant secrets from Junior (or vice versa). Both of them are (were) proud of their originality.

The reality is that instrument making is influenced by styles and concepts of the times, types of music being played, who is playing the drums, economics, personal styles of the artisans, and many other factors. Both Jay and Junior have been extraordinarily creative and have produced new innovations in their drums that others have not had. Both are/were totally dedicated to their art and their products reflect that. How do you think Gonzalo Vergara and Candido Requeña would have felt about Junior, Jay and Matt? If anything, both Jay and Junior were more strongly influenced by them than by each other.

I and several others tried to help Junior's family find someone to take over Junior's drum making business and his shop machinery when he got sick, but for the 2 years he was in the hospital before he finally died, we did not find anyone who had the dedication, skills, energy and motivation to do it. Where were you and why didn't you step forward to take over? The truth is that making top quality congas is a labor of love. Nobody (except maybe Martin Cohen, who did not actually make his drums) has ever gotten rich making congas, because the amount of work needed to make a drum is far more than the profit you can make if you charge even current market prices. Both Jay and Junior took so much crap from inconsiderate customers who accused them of overcharging, putting on the wrong skin, taking too long, putting the wrong color finish, and everything else you can think of, that most people would not want to be bothered in that business. It takes a very special person to make it happen, and there are very few people like that around. So please lighten up on your accusations.
jorge

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories