Skin Supplier List

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Skin Supplier List

Postby CongaTick » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:57 pm

What thickness mule would you-all recommend for fiberglass Matador conga and quinto (Medium, thick, extra thick?) and an LP (Palisades) tumba?

Awaiting Manito costs for pre-mounts.
CongaTick

Postby Ebongo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Most of the time I prefer the dry thump sound of extra thick cow skin (Moperc).
But I also like mule skin which allows for a really nice cracking slap, and, thick natural steer skin has a great woody tone (ManitoPercussion).
Ebongo

Postby martingoodson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Anyone know where I can buy some conga skins? No-one replies to my emails!
martingoodson

Postby Marcus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:14 pm

check out rhythm traders in portland oregon. talked with them yesterday and they are on the down side of an originally large order of natural steer and horse from south africa. there are still some left and they will reorder again sometime in the future. the stock they have is going fast so I think they will continue with supplying conga skins.

Also I thought there was a store in LA called motherload music??? might have that wrong, thought they sold rounds.

Drumskulls does not deal in natural steer conga heads but maybe they would if they get a market. I would call to talk them and see if they have a contact, someone in California has got to sell skins for congas.

Just a thought to call Haight-Asbury music store for a California contact.

PM Percussion had some skins years ago, might still be supplying.

Manito percussion sells skins.

ArtDrums web page sells precut skins. Pictures look good. I would call first rather than just ordering on line. However the web page does get updated from time to time so I think they sell a few.

Marcus

Postby Derbeno » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:04 am

It's Motherland music in LA Inglewood. They specialize more for African drums
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Siete Leguas » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:19 pm

In Germany, I know of these suppliers:

Banux (http://www.banux.de), which has been mentioned here before. At the moment I think they only have cattle skins (cow or bull/steer from Southern Germany). They offer them in two options: natural treatment and polymer treatment, at a moderate price. I recently bought a skin with polymer treatment for a bongó hembra that I am very happy with.

Altenburger Pergamente & Trommelfelle (http://www.pergament-trommelfell-shop.de). I haven't had any personal experience with them, but I have got good references from different sources. They offer skins from a few different animals: cow, bull, calf, horse, deer, goat...

I also know of a drum restorator who has offered me top-quality thick Brazilian cow skins. I don't know if it's alright with him to have his contact published here, so I'd rather ask him first.
Siete Leguas

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories