King Conga - mystery - What the story with this one?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby deerskins » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 pm

This will arrive in a couple of days.
Can anyone try to figure out where this came from?
I'm excited to get it!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 2457-1.JPG
deerskins

Postby deerskins » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 pm

deerskins

Postby deerskins » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:50 pm

deerskins

Postby Gallichio » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:36 pm

I don't know anything about it but I like it. Where did you find it? I dig the rim and the paint. Very Cool! :cool:
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby No.2-1820 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:43 pm

No.2-1820

Postby Omelenko » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:47 pm

It looks like a King Konga to me, however the side plates are different. Interesting !

Here are my Kings

Saludos,

Dario :D

Edited By Omelenko on 1204069690

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... Congas.JPG
Omelenko

Postby taikonoatama » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:50 am

Ha,

I was bidding on this drum as well, but didn't make a serious push because of the rusty lugs and potential issue I saw with the bearing edge, which from the closeup shot of the head looked like it might be damaged (and I don't have the figerglassing chops to deal with it).

When I saw this on ebay I ran it by several friends who have Kings (I have all four sizes) and we couldn't say for sure what it was/is. The shape, crown and lugs are very clearly Kings, or copies, or possibly even something that the guy who built Kings copied (he's a bit of a mystery guy). Those side plates, though, are nothing we've ever seen on Kings. The side plate on Kings are very heavy duty, so it's unlikely someone would have had the need to replace them with these.

In the ebay ad it said this drum was wrapped in 1950's newspaper. This doesn't fit with them being fiberglass, unless some unknown maker was doing it at the same time as Echo Tones - not a lot of fiberglass congas being made back then. And Kings supposedly didn't hit the scene until the late 60's. That newspaper angle really confuses things.

I ran the graphic design on the drum by two graphic designer friends to get an earliest-possible date, and both of them say late 60's to early 70's vintage based on that. Who knows.

I've researched the hell out of finding replacement lugs for Kings - marine supply shops, aviation supplies, custom car engine, machine shops, etc. Got some leads but nothing quite like these, especially the exact size of coupler. The lug is a two-part setup - coupler/clevis/swage/aircraft fork + threaded rod. Hope the lugs are usable on this drum - they're a weak point with Kings.

I've never seen a King with the tripod legs. I wonder if they're original or add-ons ...

It's possible it's an early King Conga model or prototype. Anyone else have any ideas?

James

Edited By taikonoatama on 1204095728
taikonoatama

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:43 am

Those lugs kind of look like a prototype, as they are molded similar to the way the usual King Conga lugs are molded. Its just an observation, but aren't most lugs from this time welded or assembled with rivets.
bongosnotbombs

Postby blango » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Sounds like an early prototype of a king... only because of the point that there is no need to replace the side plates, and these look like they are custom made.

Note the standard screws... also early. The stand looks retrofitted. The Crown is somewhat more rough, notice how its a bit thicker than the later versions.

Tony
blango

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:03 am

I must interject here a little. The hardware that King Congas uses is not unique to Kings. I have seen several other congas that have used the same hardware. I once bought two beat up wooden congas just for the hardware because the hardware was the same as Kings. I still have the tuning bolts and side brackets as spare parts. Although they were not as nicely chrome plated as King hardware they are still the same. So with this drum in ebay, It does not mean anything. People can suggest this and that but it does not mean anything really. Being that this type of hardware has been around for a long time, who's to say that the King Conga founder did not get the idea to make his drums with this kind of hardware by seeing other drums using it? The Bottom line is................Whether this drum is a forerunner to the King Conga line or not, it is still a beautiful drum with lot's of Character and a welcomed addition to any collection.
Thebreeze

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:51 am

I think the hardware and the fact that the drum is fiberglass is what gives it the impression of being an early King...

aren't there a lot fewer makers of seamless fiberglass drums? of course there are a lot of dissimilarities as well.
bongosnotbombs

Postby buckoh » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:10 pm

My only question is; how did I miss that on eBay? I scour it almost daily! Buck
buckoh

Postby deerskins » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:40 pm

I got the drum and spent a day or 2 playing it, nice dry sound except for a typical fiberglass ring on a closed slap. The drum is a little on the small side (about 28 inches tall).
Easy and fun to play but I just had to investigate it a little more, so I took the skin off and shot some pictures.
The first one shows the age of the paint and how it discolored (yellowed) over the years (smoke maybe?)

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... lowing.jpg
deerskins

Postby deerskins » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:45 pm

This next photo shows some paint chips that reveal that it was originally black fiberglass painted with a base coat of white, then black, then red.
The big question is:
Was this a custom paint job from the manufacturer, or done after the purchase?
(my guess is that it came with a white coat of paint, then it was customized afterwards)

Edited By deerskins on 1204307229

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _chips.jpg
deerskins

Postby deerskins » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Here's a shot of the bottom.
King owners, does this look similar to yours?
I wish it had metal or rubber because I would like to play it seated without damaging the paint job....any ideas?

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... bottom.jpg
deerskins

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories