drum artisans in Europe - know any?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: drum artisans in Europe - know any?

Postby s'chopp » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:52 pm

korman wrote:Good to finally see Reiche congas in action! The clip could benefit from better microphone placement, though. The tones stand out more than slaps and heel-tips.

have to agree there, the mahogany is tempting me to get some but I can't here any tone (minimal) on the slaps. It could benefit from better microphone placement; or they're just the driest of the dry!!
s'chopp

Postby rob280783 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:35 pm

There´s been a couple of mentions in this thread of Campos Percussion in Madrid. I was in there yesterday and ordered a quinto. I´ll let you know how it turns out.

The ones in the shop seem really good and all the congueros here in Madrid highly recommend them so I´m looking forward to getting it home. They mainly make fibreglass drums but also do congas carved out of a single piece of what they were calling "dinghu" wood. Apparently the same stuff used to make djembes in Senegal. So heavy. They had one in the shop and I could barely lift it!

The fibreglass quinto was 340 euros for record.
rob280783

Postby s'chopp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm not getting any search results for dinghu but Senegalese djembe and bougarabou are made from dimba, I have ordered a set of dimba bougs that i'm waiting for at the moment. This is a hardwood that is only collected from deadwood, so it's perfectly dried and great for drums. This is probably the wood they mean and it resonates like a dream.

Daniel.
s'chopp

Postby rob280783 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:07 am

That could be it. I have one of their Djembes made of the same wood and it´s got the loudest bass I´ve heard on any Djembe.
rob280783

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 am

s'chopp wrote:
korman wrote:Good to finally see Reiche congas in action! The clip could benefit from better microphone placement, though. The tones stand out more than slaps and heel-tips.

have to agree there, the mahogany is tempting me to get some but I can't here any tone (minimal) on the slaps. It could benefit from better microphone placement; or they're just the driest of the dry!!

Just for the record: Here is a short clip of Reiche congas:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jg8ktrnxlivbt95/No.%202.wav

And here are some pics of those mahogany beauties.
P1010879.JPG
P1010880.JPG
Attachments
P1010888.JPG
Peace & drum
Mike

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories