Fiberglass Congas - Trad. Shape

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby mangorockfish » Tue May 18, 2004 3:43 am

OK, the fiberglass congas sound less warm than wood. I have a set of Meinl Pro drums, but am thinking about a set of LP fiberglass drums. Now for the question: the Potato models or the traditional style w/the bigger bottom opening?:blues:
mangorockfish

Postby James M » Tue May 18, 2004 5:03 am

That's a good question. I have a 11 1/4" Toca Player's Series fiber glass/synthetic head and a 10" LP World Beat Series Wood/Skin. At first, I liked the Toca much better, but the more I played them, especially out in the open with other people, the more I've come to really prefer the LP. Part of it is that it's smaller and 5 lbs lighter which makes a huge difference lugging it around. Beyond that I'm not really sure what exactly it is about the LP that I like better. The Toca's tone is better all around, though the LP is bassier, but none of that seems to matter. I bought the Toca at $130.00 during the Mars Music liquidadtion sale, and the LP I paid $170.00 at a Whole Earth Provisions store that inexplicably has a small, ethnic instrument section. I guess the moral of the story is you're just going to have to spend money until you get what like!
James M

Postby Raymond » Tue May 18, 2004 12:26 pm

Somehow the "Patato" style conga has proven to be succesful to LP despite some players that play seated do not like it because of their small mouth. The claim is that the small mouth it tougher to be heard when playing seated. It appears, the advantage has been the amount of players that are now using stands instead of seating. Also, the "Patato" is a taller drum, 30 inches versus the traditional, 28 inches.

Currently, the Patato, the different Accent models and the Galaxy Fiberglass congas use the Patato shape. (The "regular" Giovanni in wood also has the same shape). The claim is, and I have noticed it, sharp or higher tones that project more than the regular fiberglass models. A sharper tone will give you more closer to the wood sound. The wide belly with small mouth provides more bass tones.

LP claims that shape of conga has been the most recorded during the last 30 years...ummmmm!

Worth the extra price???? I think they are because the regular LP fiberglass tend to sound opaque compared with the "Patato"'s (that include the Accent and Galaxys).

SHAMELESS PLUG:

Just as a suggestion, check the new Pearl's Bobby Allende congas with seamless fiberglass. I've heard they sound great and are at good price. (Nice color too)! Worth a test drive at least! Get something different....

Tell us what you get!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue May 18, 2004 4:17 pm

I would go with the Pearl Elite fiberglass congas(cause I endorse them), but in all sincerity, they are just as good as LP. the Patato model was a dissapointment. Now I do have a thing for the LP Galaxy congas. They are a heavy fiberglass drum with a good sound. In the end of course it's still up to you , but check the drums out before you buy, if you can....my 2 congas....JC JOHNNYCONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby mangorockfish » Wed May 19, 2004 1:46 am

I really appreciate the input from you experienced players. I don't know which ones I'll get if I get any. I'll probably stick w/my Meinl Pros. They are really sweet!!! Just toying with the idea of fiberglass drums. Played a set of LP gold sparkle fiberglass ones, supposed to be around 35yrs, old at the Chicago Drum Show this weekend and really liked them.
mangorockfish

Postby Tonio » Thu May 20, 2004 12:00 am

Fiberglass should give you more of a cutting tone(with ringing included)-meaning it will cut through when you play with a band wether miked or not. But you should use a mike either way/or drum make. But you will notice the difference more in a conjunto, since it more immediate, Wood will be warmer/full open tone, glass will be sharper higher overtones/ringing.

My first set was LP original fiberglass. They would have probably lasted a lifetime-with changing heads occasionally.
I remember I was moving houses and I dropped the segun. It was on a slight incline, and it started rolling head over heels a few times until I caught up with it. Luckily it didn't damage the skin, though it did make a few marks on the body-boy was I sweating!!!

I love wooden congas, but they are fragile.:( I used to have some Gons Bops, and they started splitting on the staves after
gigging a few years. I use the padded bags and pad my pick up truck bed too. Gon bops aren't cheap either, well now Timba cost a fortune (almost). So I tend to use LP classic(wood) for gigging, though they are heavy, they afe built tough, must be the inlay of fiberglass on the inside and metal
pins between the staves on the upper end.
I kinda miss fiberglass. I'd like to check out those B. Allende models or any Pearl stuff.

Best way is to go demo some at a local music store, I will never buy a set without listening(by playing) and looking at the construction no matter what mfg.:cool:

T

Edited By Tonio on 1085011335
Tonio

Return to CongaSet and accessories