shell protectors - rubber bumpers to protect shell finish

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Mezcaldrum » Mon May 10, 2004 3:16 am

I'm wondering if there's any place anyone knows where you can buy rubber bumpers like the LP ones to protect the finish on my wood congas. I have Timba congas with 9/16ths lugs but the standard LP washer/protector doesn't fit around the sleeve that the lug fits in. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.

Johnny or anyone can you provide any help. I really want to protect the finish on these new drums as I plan on having them for a long long time. Thanks
Mezcaldrum

Postby CongaCaja » Mon May 10, 2004 4:30 am

The remo shell protector looks as if it might be more flexible with respect to lug size. From the photos, it appears to be a simple piece of rubber that fits over the lug and cover the the mechanism. If it is made purely of rubber, as I suspect, then it is surely to be more accepting of your Timba's lug size (which is different from LP).

http://www.remo.com/catalog2/wp_c_c.cfm

Unfortunately, Remo's web site doesn't provide any information about buying this separately from the congas.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Raymond » Mon May 10, 2004 3:15 pm

Based on my experience, protecting the shells of congas for scratches and bumps is very hard. You could do your best to minimize them. If you play seated, anything, even your chair can scratch the finish or the floor, etc.

The protectors you have heard and your are looking for are to avoid the scratching of the shells with the lugs of the other congas. They are OK! LP has them and Remo but not that many people using them. I think any stores could get them or will have them for you. (LP has two kinds one big one that you put in the lug and cover the whole log and I think they have some "rubber rings" they put on the lugs".

Good luck!
Raymond

Postby mangorockfish » Mon May 10, 2004 8:08 pm

You might want to check out Meinl. Theres are large. LOL:blues:
mangorockfish

Postby Mezcaldrum » Tue May 11, 2004 5:13 am

Thanks guys. All you information was useful. I found a Meinl dealer in Santa Rosa that also carries Timba. They tried the "conga savers" on the Timba and said they fit perfectly. My local shop is checking on the Remo's and I'm having lunch with a friend from Kaman (LP) tomorrow and will ask him about the lug covers.

This is why this board is so good. Thanks all.
Mezcaldrum

Postby CongaCaja » Tue May 11, 2004 5:03 pm

Mezcaldrum,

Can you tell me which place in Santa Rosa (California?) carries Timba? Though I don't get up there often (I live in SF), I might want to check it out in the future.

thanks... cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Mezcaldrum » Tue May 11, 2004 9:16 pm

Hey Conga Caja. The name of the place is Epiphany Music in Santa Rosa. Their number is 707-543-7008.
Mezcaldrum

Postby CongaCaja » Tue May 11, 2004 11:34 pm

thanks Mezcaldrum...I might try to drop in there upon my next roadtrip north

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Mike » Mon May 17, 2004 9:12 pm

After having bought a pair of the LP shell protectors, I found that they produced black stripes on the wall when I placed them in a corner. Plus the rubbers soon went off. Honestly, on second thought I found myself deep in the merchandising trap, ´cause as long as you´re a bit careful, no really serious damage will be caused. And some dents etc. come with age, as I can tell from tje lines in me face :D

Cheers to everybody, rubber is good for other things....

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to CongaSet and accessories