Finding a good skin for Lp classic

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Percuta Minuta » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:29 am

I would like to ask you if you have tried different skins for conga on your lp or whatever.. I've seen there are fmrom pearl or from meinl, and i don't know how they sound like.
I personally don't like the sound of my lp skin on a lp classic conga and tumba. I have tried in an old lp fiber quinto (it has almost 25 years) a cow handmade skin and it sounds very good.
Thanks
Percuta Minuta

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:06 pm

WEll there is Cow and mule and now Thai buffalo skins. If you can get in contact with a "slaughterhouse", you can buy skins right from them. There is one in Chicago and one in Texas, that are still up and running of course. We eat meat so they exist. Mule skin is harder to get , unless you know someone in Mexico or Venezuela.... JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby franc » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:30 pm

conguerro mayor , todo bien? hope so!!johnny by any chances you know the address of the slaughterhouse in chicago. tell men what is the best skin to mule skin?? aché to you my friend, franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Percuta Minuta » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:19 pm

Thanks for the information, but it is going to hard to find a mule skin in Spain (where I live); mules have dissapeared, or changed by trucks... anyway i'll try from Morocco, last time i was there were still a lot of them ;)
Hasta la vista congueros..

Edited By Percuta Minuta on 1082816453
Percuta Minuta

Postby Johnny Conga » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:21 pm

SKIN SKINS SKIN!....here is the guy name Isaac who is selling mule skins from Columbia. He can be reached at
funkytraditions@yahoogroups.com or his cell phone is 732 236 8148....I got it from another site.....alright guys go get em!.... :D JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:07 am

Thanks for the link JC, I hear good things about mule skin!! How are they different(sound etc.) from buffalo and cowhide?
T
Tonio

Postby FunkyTradition » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:02 pm

Dear Congaplace friends, I'm a rep. for JCR Percussion -
maker of JCR Bells. I now have a limited supply of
high quality hand selected Mule & Cow Rawhide from
Colombia. If interested, please contact me
at FunkyTradition@yahoo.com
for details, pictures, etc...

~ Isaac ~ FunkyTradition

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... CUEROS.jpg
FunkyTradition

Postby Mezcaldrum » Tue May 11, 2004 5:32 am

I still like pure USA cowhide. My congas have skins from what used to be "United Rawhide" I think from Chicago. Now it's called Stern Tanning Company. They supply skins for some of the high end drum makers like my Timbas. A local pro friend played them and loves the sound. I think they would make most any brand conga sound great. I thought the old LP heads made their drums sound really good. I don't like the newer semi transparent Thai water buffalo skins. Not the same sound.

Here's couple of links to these heads.
http://www.theoldglorydrumshop.com/about.html
Mezcaldrum

Postby Mezcaldrum » Tue May 11, 2004 5:36 am

Here's more information about the company who replaced United Rawhide. They still make high quality calf skin heads. The owner of Timba told me that for a short time they had consistency issues but are back to the quality of the original United Rawhide. Here it is and good luck.

Stern Tanning Co., Inc.
PO Box 55
344 Broadway
Sheboygan Falls, WI 53085
Tel: 920-467-8615
Fax: 920-467-8694

Stern Tanning has taken over the equipment and processes of United Rawhide, Rolling Thunder's previous recommended rawhide vendor. The Stern/United rawhide process has been making rawhide drum grade heads for decades. They have several grades of excellent taiko rawhide, available in cut circles or sides, and are also able to produce full hides for Odaiko heads. Good quality control. Recommended.
[I]
Mezcaldrum

Return to CongaSet and accessories