JC's cd

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Tonio » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:42 pm

JC, sorry I haven't gotten your cd yet. I will soon , promise.
BTW do you remember the studio it was recorded at?
Possibly the enginner and mic's used?

Thanks!

T
Tonio

Postby franc » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:45 am

belive me it is a great c.d!!! J.C did a remarkable work!!! great percussion solos.great musicians!! latin jazz well performed!! i recomend the c.d with entusiasm!! ACHE to you all my friends, franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:37 pm

THANK YOU FRANK.....It was recorded in Sound Booth Studios in Hialeah,Florida. the Engineer was Frank Miret, who was nominated for a Grammy for his work with Gloria Estefan. Frank I believe used AkG's on my congas. I like them, they make the congas sound crisp. Now I personally didn't like the drums I used for the session.I used Matadors,which I actually like to play,but, I wanted to use Fiberglass and used wood instead. I believe "my" sound leans towards the fiberglass sound more than the wood sound. If you know what I mean. The session was a "life's" work for me and I was an apprentice for Mr. Mike Martinez from NYC who helped me Produce the CD. and taught me about making a record and more. We recorded it "live" in the studio and the cuts are either 1st or 2nd take. We cut 5 tunes in 3 hours, that's how tight the band was. In total it took 8 hours to record and mix the CD. Now let me see sombody do that today, HA!.....It was a joy to play along side very great musicians,ala Eddie Gua Gua Rivera-Juan Pablo Torres-Edwin Bonilla-Ronnie Loreto-Mario Marrero-Doug Micheals. I hope to do my next one with them again in the near future......JC JOHNNY CONGA... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:03 am

JC thank you for the info! Frank Miret? I hear many good things about him. I understand about the fibergalss "sound".
I haven't played fiberglass congas in a while, sometimes I miss
the sound.
It seems most latin groups do record in a live situation, maybe some overdubs for solos etc. It tends to give a better feel, which is good for latin music.
The AKg's were they 414's? like this(attached) ?

Thanks again.
T

Edited By Tonio on 1079053508
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:05 am

Tonio

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm

Yes Tonio I believe they were the type you attached, maybe even a little older model. But I always liked AKG's and the old PZM's the square flat plate mic. Those are rare and really good for congas.....JC JOHNNY CONGA
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:32 am

AKG's 414eb are great! I do have the newer B-ULS, but they are still great.
PZM? Really? Is it out on the floor? I hear that is a good way to get the bass and body texture. I will give it try.
Thank you JC

T
Tonio

Postby franc » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:39 am

j.c, conguerro mayor!!!! como estas?? see if you can help me, since you know about mic. which will you recomend for agreat bongo sound?? i have a hohner international mic. for bongo.what is your best recomendation?? will appreciate your help. my frien j.c not long a go you posted ,what was happening in the island concerning la rumba. i know that raymond knows more than i and could answer with more impetude. i could tell you this for sure is that in the island, the merengue is in slump. lately i have seen an uproar in the salsa scene.what i mean is that salsa bands are now on the up swing ,you know!! you could see it also on television where more salsa bands are performing. my best!! have a great friday!! ''con el coqui en clave'' ACHé to you and all the greats in the forum!!! franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:34 pm

Vaya Franc...todo bien,gracias...I am very glad to hear that "Salsa" on the island is on it's way back. The Merengue thing killed it for awhile. Because Boriquas forgot how to do dance to their own music here in the states, and were 3 and 4th generation removed from their culture. Plus the Merengue bands would charge like 30 bucks a musician so you had bands with like 12 and 14 guys in it making 3o bucks each. To them being the new "immigrants" in NYC, they thought it was a lot of money to them. While the Puerto Ricans became more "americanized' and moved up the "ladder" so to speak, they dropped their culture for capitalism. I know this as I was In NYC at the advent of the Dominican immigration to the city in 1972. I was into "gang intervention"(as a community Mental Health worker) and had to deal with the PR gangs and the Dominican gangs at the time. So I was there to see the progression of the Merengue hit the city hard and the slow demise of Salsa bands, until recently. so it's good news to hear that there coming back. the mic's I have seen lately are the "59's", I think that's what their called. they are short and black and "clip on "....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:35 pm

Vaya Franc...todo bien,gracias...I am very glad to hear that "Salsa" on the island is on it's way back. The Merengue thing killed it for awhile. Because Boriquas forgot how to do dance to their own music here in the states, and were 3 and 4th generation removed from their culture. Plus the Merengue bands would charge like 30 bucks a musician so you had bands with like 12 and 14 guys in it making 3o bucks each. To them being the new "immigrants" in NYC, they thought it was a lot of money to them. While the Puerto Ricans became more "americanized' and moved up the "ladder" so to speak, they dropped their culture for capitalism. I know this as I was In NYC at the advent of the Dominican immigration to the city in 1972. I was into "gang intervention"(as a community Mental Health worker) and had to deal with the PR gangs and the Dominican gangs at the time. So I was there to see the progression of the Merengue hit the city hard and the slow demise of Salsa bands, until recently. so it's good news to hear that there coming back. the mic's I have seen lately are the "59's", I think that's what their called. they are short and black and "clip on "....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby franc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:55 pm

j.c. you have said it all. i don't think i can add more. well yes and is this, that in merengue music there is no feel. you know what i mean??thats how i feel. with respect to the dominicans. is not like the bembe, rumba, latin jazz , salsa, etc,etc, it makes you soul tremble with joy!! it moves and heal you whole body.''conguerro mayor'' thanks for the info. on mikes for bongos. i will check them out. also j.c. i'm glad for you and you success in seatle. keep me posted.i need the aknowledge. my best. ''con el coqui en clave'', franc:D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Johnny Conga » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:40 pm

The other mic's i would recommend are the Sennheisers-49's. They are great!.....Now don't get me wrong Merengue has a lot of "feel" to it, it's just that it can be "redundant" after the 3rd tune. Now Merengue Jazz is a whole nother thing. Mario Rivera the sax player released a CD some years back called "Merengue Jazz". Check it out, it's a "smoker"!....JC JOHNNY CONGA........
Johnny Conga

Return to CongaSet and accessories