In Search of Timba Ismael,Bayamon PR

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Doctorumba » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:59 pm

This goes out mainly to our Boricua members living "en la Isla".Back in 1986 I bought a pair of Timbas Ismael in Plaza Bayamon from the old man. I know he died many years ago.I hear his son and widow keep like a museum of Ismael timbas somewhere in Bayamon.My macho was stolen in a Calle 8 (Miami) gig.I still have the hembra which is a super tumba 13".My question,does anyone have info. on the Ismael family (son,widow).I called PR info and they gave me a number,but is not a working number.I will like to buy a macho,113/4" or 12" to match my hembra.Any Boricua brothers with any info. I will forever be greatful. Moforibale al tambo' ,Dario :D
Doctorumba

Postby tamboricua » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:56 pm

Hola Dario,

Hope all is well! The new number of Timbas Ismael in Sierra Bayamón is (787) 778-2733.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Doctorumba » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:39 pm

Hi Jorge,

Thanks a million for the info. on Timbas Ismael, I'll call them when I get home. Un millon de gracias,rumbero ! Saludos, Dario :D
Doctorumba

Postby Doctorumba » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:40 pm

Hi Jorge,

Thanks a million for the info. on Timbas Ismael, I'll call them when I get home. Un millon de gracias,rumbero ! Saludos, Dario :D
Doctorumba

Postby tamboricua » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:37 am

Hola Dario,

No hay problema, a la orden! Remember the time difference. I believe you are in Miami, so for you is one hour difference.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:01 pm

The store is still there managed by his son and widow. However, is a shadow of what it was. (They have gotten a little expensive). Nevertheless, you will find things there, if you cannot find them anywhere else such as JCR bells, natural heads, etc, and still find some of the custom stuff when they make them. The best they have....cases for timbales and bongos...

Saludos....
Raymond

Postby franc » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:08 am

raymond, mi pana rumbero!!sobre timba ismael. can you tell what you mean when you say that timba ismael is a shadow of what it use to be?? in what sence?? also do they have bongos cases?? i need to buy a hard case so that i can place my bell in top of it. i don't want a soft case or bag. will appreciate your expertice, mi pana fuerte!!! have a good friday to all in the forum. ''con el coqui en clave''!! aché to you all!!!!!!!! franc,:cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:35 pm

Franc

Regarding Timba's, well, I base my comments on my experience with them since 1992 and now. I use to go very frequently to them to check for new stuff but they have lacked in choices, especially with JCR cowbells, and their prices have become high.

Right now, the best products at "negotiable prices" are the repair of instruments and the "hard cases" tailor to the "salsa" musician are the best products. (Maybe the natural heads but they could be found at other places in Puerto Rico).

I think they are making cases in "hard shells." (Prior to that they made it in a carton like material. One of my bongo cases that I bought from them 10 years ago is like that). What do you call "hard" will depend. Hard like for "traveling" and airplane handling, etc, I do not think they make them for general retailing do but they could make it. (This type of "hard" is like in metal type material and not the synthetic hard materials which are more common). I have have not been to their store in over a year because I have found other alternatives like Pure Sound.

The bongo case??? Well, theirs has an area for the cowbell. (I carry over 3 bells on different tones for gigs and I have to spread them over the case. One in the "cowbell area" and the others fit around the bongo. I've seen some "hard" for air traveling in Pure Sound like for bongo but have not seen the inside. You might want to check Timba Ismael on that or check with Pure Sound as an alternative!

Yeap! Those LP and Meinl's "canvas" soft bags are no good! The bell scratches the bongo or the bell or bongo could "suffer" on anything. I think Timba and Pure Sound have what are you looking for!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:36 pm

thanks alot. raymond!! ''mi pana fuerte'' for your help. i will check them out. i need a case badly. is not for travel, since i don't gig to get pay. i need it because i belong and play old salsa for the arecibos' ''escuela de bellas artes'' which belong to the department of education, also i take classes. we do travel but in the island. thanks again, raymond. Aché to you and all in the forum. my best, franc:)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Return to CongaSet and accessories